• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hm, I would go by what's already in your closet. (I realize I keep using the same photos for this discussion but these are what I can recall easily, so sorry if this is redundant/ repetitive).

View attachment 1625789 View attachment 1625790

^ If you have lighter colored suits, then I think you can do tan derbies or oxfords. Can't remember who made the oxfords above, but I believe the monk straps are John Lobb's Osner.

View attachment 1625791 View attachment 1625792 View attachment 1625793

^ If you have lighter colored sport coats, then I would do tan derbies or penny loafers. I believe Greg is wearing a pair of Lobbs, while Mark is wearing Kenji Suzuki loafers.

View attachment 1625794

^ I also think tan shoes work in "happy" summer outfits. Sometimes tan shoes "lift" up an outfit and makes it more seasonal. If it's a summer sport coat outfit, I would probably do tan penny loafers. The shoes above are from Kenji Suzuki. These are on the warmer shade of tan, which helps with this kind of "happy outfit." An earthier, more sedate looking tan would have earthier undertones (such as the Lobb Osners above). I generally think that "colder" shoes are easier to wear, but a warm pair works for this sort of summer outfit.

View attachment 1625795

^ If you have a lighter-colored fall sport coat, then I think tan grained split toes also work well. These are Crockett & Jones. I believe they were an exclusive for Ben Silver.

View attachment 1625796 View attachment 1625797 View attachment 1625798

^ Once you get into casualwear, I don't think the "rules" are so strict. For example, I think a Barbour jacket with blue jeans work with tan grained boots. These are from Crockett & Jones. Charles Tywhitt used to sell a very similar model, I believe made by Loake. Either company may still offer this style.

View attachment 1625799 View attachment 1625800 View attachment 1625801

^ I also think once you leave CM, things can be even more fluid. Tan work boots or side-zips can work in some Westernwear or workwear styled outfits. The boots above are from Tecovas and Rios of Mercedes.

In a classic tailored outfit, I think the tradition is to have the focus be on the V-shape intersection created by your shirt, tie, and jacket's opening. So it's harder to wear things like patterned pants or brightly colored shoes, as those things can draw the eye downward. We're used to focusing on the top half of the outfit. But that norm isn't always present in other types of aesthetics.

If you have lighter-colored summer sport coats, then I would probably do something like a tan derby or loafer. If you have lighter-colored suits, you can try a tan oxford. If you want something that straddles both suits and sport coats, I would probably do a derby.

If you're looking for something to wear in the fall with CM-styled casualwear, then I think tan grained boots are easy. If you're going further out into workwear or some other aesthetic, tan shoe can be even easier. For that very basic workwear look that was popular five or ten years ago, I think Red Wings moc boots can be worn in tan or dark brown -- the two colors are almost interchangeable.

I think John Lobb and Edward Green both have really good shades of tan. They tend to be on the earthier, colder side of tan. But if you want that happy summer outfit, you might want a warm pair. I'm sure there are other good options, so people should chime in.

My monk straps are EG actually. Ashby is the model name, I think?

Polo Collar

Reaction score

Anyone here tried Acorn's Zephyr shirting? Any photos of finished product?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seems like the sort of thing many here might appreciate. The Polo ads at the end give me serious nostalgia vibes for the small northeastern liberal arts college I would visit as a kid in the early to mid 90s:

I was attending a small New England liberal arts college in the early to mid 90's. I actually had that polo RL big oxford. Those garment dyed tees and big pleats were everywhere.

bigoxf.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those ads photographed by Bruce Webber were the best. It's remarkable how many from the 70's-80's are still cycled onto RL ads from time to time. Ralph really had a vision and hired the very best to make it happen. I thought that his ads dropped in appeal once Polo went public and things like ad expenditures were scrutinized.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone on this thread have a suggestion for a good swim short that doesn't have the mesh baby diaper liner?

Also looking for a mid-brown braided belt.

This seemed like a safe thread to ask suggestions as I'm not looking for something too wild, but I also don't want bespoke swim shorts.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's a baby diaper liner? Is it just your way to say you don't like swimwear mesh liners or is it something else?

If you don't like liners, just get any swim trunks you like and cut the liner off?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone on this thread have a suggestion for a good swim short that doesn't have the mesh baby diaper liner?

This seemed like a safe thread to ask suggestions as I'm not looking for something too wild, but I also don't want bespoke swim shorts.

What's a baby diaper liner? Is it just your way to say you don't like swimwear mesh liners or is it something else?

If you don't like liners, just get any swim trunks you like and cut the liner off?

Yes, what @gdl203 said, is it the mesh fabric you're opposed to, or any liner? If its just mesh, Fair Harbor makes shorts with a built in spandexy style boxer brief built in, I find good for swim. If you're opposed to any liner, than again, what @gdl203 said, buy some and swim short and cut out the liner.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got a pair of the Birdwell board shorts and they're great! No mesh liner, $80. The 33's measure 34.5 in the waist - there's no stretch in the fabric. Have been looking for something like this for ages - love them!

I believe they're a DWW approved brand :)

1624543926900.png

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Was going to suggest BBB but @LatAm beat me to it. I had a pair as as a kid, my dad had a pair…they’re no longer made in Southern California but they’re a great pair of non-lined shorts. The brand story is really cool.

The fit may be different than what I remember so check their website; I believe they have several models/inseam lengths.

Leiker

Reaction score

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

for braided belts, NoMan & Mr. P

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ Was going to suggest BBB but @LatAm beat me to it. I had a pair as as a kid, my dad had a pair…they’re no longer made in Southern California but they’re a great pair of non-lined shorts. The brand story is really cool.

I think they're still made in Southern California.

I was out with someone the other day and they were wearing a cool Birdwell face mask. We ended up getting into a convo about Birdwell and my friend said that he bumped into the company owner many years ago. The guy said he had just bought the company and was looking to produce everything in Santa Ana.

Agree they make cool swim shorts.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A guy in Manhattan Beach bought the company. It used to be run by the family that founded it - you could call them and the matriarch would answer the phone at the factory, and you could actually go the the headquarters and buy trunks, or get them made to order. I think they still have the same factory, and I think there's a store at the headquarters, as well as a store in Manhattan Beach (I bought some cord shorts at the Manhattan Beach store a few weeks ago.) They eliminated a lot of the oddball colors, many of which were my favorites (watermelon! coral! :inlove: ). And they changed the fit to vanity sizing, they used to be extremely TTS. The fly is now a button fly rather than velcro, which I thikn is a plus actually. They have a stretch fabric available too, as well as the original non stretch nylon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads