• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel this comic strip captures the essence of the discussion in past few pages

"Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit."

1623344736490.png

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This seems like the sort of thing many here might appreciate. The Polo ads at the end give me serious nostalgia vibes for the small northeastern liberal arts college I would visit as a kid in the early to mid 90s:

Hmmm...that series is making me think I should keep a linen shirt I just got which is a size too large. Clearly, you also need the right trousers. Thanks for posting.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weighing up authenticity, origin, environmental impact, and indeed privilege (to name just a few) are all things we as the consumer do with more regularity than ever before.

Well, some of us do anyway. The consumer is hydra-headed.

I largely side with @UrbanComposition in all this:

I’m a union electrician, and I don’t care. Why do you? Real question.

Seems to me that style can be largely independent of occupation, point-of-view, or whatnot. Maybe someone's style is being a fraud - what then? Why should we care so much about what other people think?

I do believe that a good sense of style is largely derived from one's inner self and personality. That style, though, will manifest itself naturally and with no special effort on your part, unless you happen to lack a style in the first place.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are clear examples where style needs to take into account origin, and being conscious of it is relevant. Ralph Lauren and the use of Native American iconography and heritage for example is relevant to the world we are all aware . There are of course many more.

The question perhaps in terms of this particular discussions is whether you feel class to be a relevant factor to appreciate or dissect. Id argue that class is a huge under appreciated lens on culture at the moment, even though it seems strangely unexamined in the great culture wars of 2020/21 .
In my opinion income , inequality and the associated identity this creates have a large bearing on how we view many discussions, including this one.

I guess you're talking about the nebulous concept of 'appropriation?' While being aware of how it might offend some, I'd also posit that by that line of reasoning, anyone who wears a suit and doesn't come from a Western European heritage is also appropriating a style. And again, who cares?

I don't really think income factors into any kind of class discussion at all, unless you're looking at it from a purely American perspective, and even then there are other considerations. If someone allows their class to influence their style decisions, that's up to them. Personally, I've never found much of a contradiction between my own background and my current style - but I certainly never gave it much thought at any point. In fact, I'm probably quite boring in my predictability. Doesn't mean everyone else has to be.

I'd say that if class and political connotations matter to the wearer so much that he either spurns jeans/workwear because of those associations, rather than because they don't fit into his own style, or pretends to be 'over classic menswear' because he prejudicially assigns certain points of view to those who wear tailored clothing, that says a lot more about his own hang-ups than the clothes themselves. And the implications aren't healthy.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
This seems like the sort of thing many here might appreciate. The Polo ads at the end give me serious nostalgia vibes for the small northeastern liberal arts college I would visit as a kid in the early to mid 90s:

Some amazing pants.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Some amazing pants.

Polo, mid 90s: "Do you enjoy baggy linen? Nobody knowing where you end and the world begins."

"Oh, yes, very much so. Chandler Bing couldn't be any more of a style icon."

*Whispering gently* "Here"

"Oh thank you, that's lovely, but honestly I already have more than en--"

*Groaning suggestively* "Here"

"... Umm.... Yeah. Thanks and stuff, but honestly, I think I'm pretty good for linen right now. Could I have more linen? Haha. Ha. Wait, what are you doing? Why are you--?"

*Hissing aggressively * "Here!!!!!!"

"I.." *Choking on reams of linen* "Why are you--" *Coughing, struggling* "Whyyyyyyy...?"

Last edited:

Calanon

Reaction score
QQ: What's the DW article where it had about the story of the mother embracing "*******" and getting out the finest China etc?

Nevermind - I spend ages looking, no luck, give up and remember what it's called. Unfortunately, Derek deleted the article (put on your happy suit). Pls stop deleting them all Derek. I like going back for particular things.

Last edited:

polyfusion

Reaction score
Derek - what is this summer tweed ive heard mentioned in connection with you a few times now?

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Derek - what is this summer tweed ive heard mentioned in connection with you a few times now?

karmaguy

Reaction score
I don’t remember why precisely Derek said he deletes old articles BUT if it’s a server cost thing, I’d be happy to throw some money his way if it meant articles could stay up (but also obvs no pressure if there are other reasons why articles go away)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don’t remember why precisely Derek said he deletes old articles BUT if it’s a server cost thing, I’d be happy to throw some money his way if it meant articles could stay up (but also obvs no pressure if there are other reasons why articles go away)

Not a server issue, but I appreciate the offer. No need to throw any money my way for content though.

WayneLyndon

Reaction score
how do you like T Michael? Kimono looks brilliant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads