• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of these buckles we made with scrap stainless materials from the job (pipefitter/welder). I had a couple around the house but I can't remember what I did with them.
View attachment 1617802
Ineffably beyond cool. What I imagine the lovechild of a steampunkt industrial piping manufacturer and a moonlighting Hermes designer would look like.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hadn't noticed the "patina" page on DBF before. I have a few pieces that have achieved that status and I wish I had more. It really is a matter of less being more because it takes repeated wearing and washing to get there. Aside from jeans and some very old common projects, I have a Loro Piana blue and white striped oxford that is probably 12 years old, very worn in and feels like psychological armor when I put it on.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really is a matter of less being more because it takes repeated wearing and washing to get there.

I think that this is key.

The irony, of course, is that although we desire that "patina", our modern consumer society (aided by sites such as StyleForum!) push us to consume more, to buy more, to keep on kopping.

So we end up with wardrobes full of stuff that hardly gets worn and, as a result, it takes decades to achieve "patina" - if we ever do, because we'll probably sell or give away most of the stuff and buy a whole new wardrobe well before anything has time to become patinated!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The irony, of course, is that although we desire that "patina", our modern consumer society (aided by sites such as StyleForum!) push us to consume more, to buy more, to keep on kopping
This is one of the few times I feel my age gives me an advantage. ;-) And I must admit, I don't think I've ever purchased anything because of Style Forum.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one of the few times I feel my age gives me an advantage. ;-) And I must admit, I don't think I've ever purchased anything because of Style Forum.

My choice of clothing is similar. Of course, had I not patronized bespoke I could probably have retired to the country 10 years earlier. That said, I sure enjoyed my my experience. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

And I do wear -- and truly enjoy -- the clothing. But it would have been nice if I'd had the internet and Style Forum from the beginning.

I say my bespoke days are past me ... but then I go back in this thread and see bengal-stripes alligator hides to be made up as Albert slippers. Oh my!

So, you expect us to believe you didn't get these?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that this is key.

The irony, of course, is that although we desire that "patina", our modern consumer society (aided by sites such as StyleForum!) push us to consume more, to buy more, to keep on kopping.

So we end up with wardrobes full of stuff that hardly gets worn and, as a result, it takes decades to achieve "patina" - if we ever do, because we'll probably sell or give away most of the stuff and buy a whole new wardrobe well before anything has time to become patinated!
That's because they haven't reached Level 8 Stylefarmer yet. Most people here are stuck on Level 4:Kop Addict.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, you expect us to believe you didn't get these?
So uhhhh ... I fell off the wagon ... but only once. Well, there were three pairs. Then there were those outstanding derbies posted by Dieworkwear .. and I forgot a "few" other things. Make that a few dozen times ... at most. Okay, not one more than fifty.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
didn't know the ideal place to post this, so posting here; if people feel strongly and know what is a better place to post, please let me know and I will move it,

Huntsman is doing a trunk show in SF & LA in June, details at Huntsman West Coast Trunk Shows

I think it's fine to post this here, but for what it's worth, I started a thread a while ago dedicated to San Francisco trunk show announcements. I imagine LA trunk shows can also be posted there (I've announced LA events there in the past).

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's fine to post this here, but for what it's worth, I started a thread a while ago dedicated to San Francisco trunk show announcements. I imagine LA trunk shows can also be posted there (I've announced LA events there in the past).

I know the above thread but couldn't remember when I needed it ?

this post is in that thread as well now.

jtwo

Reaction score
I noticed that you occasionally talk about getting cloth from cloth merchants in NYC. Do you have any specific recommendations for which of these stores are worth visiting in person?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I noticed that you occasionally talk about getting cloth from cloth merchants in NYC. Do you have any specific recommendations for which of these stores are worth visiting in person?

Tip Top is the usual recommendation. I've also bought things from Mood Fabrics.

This stuff is hit and miss though, so you have to be OK with visiting and not walking out with anything. These places sell offcuts and deadstock. It's just fabric left over from what fashion brands produced, which may or may not suit your needs. I think many of the fabrics are better suited to womenswear, but sometimes you walk out with a gem that you may not have found through a traditional fabric merchant, such as Huddersfield Fine Worsted or something.

Thethrill

Reaction score
Question for everybody: I want to shell out some dough for a great chambray workshirt, what's the move? do i go RRL, Engineered Garms, Iron Heart, something vintage, other? I'm looking for something cool, but not too cool for a middle-aged dad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads