• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noted. This does give me some time to think more about it, not in a rush.

Yeah that's the one! I was shocked at accessible the pricepoint was as well. That's what got me thinking about possibly building a mini wardrobe in the future.

The stuff is really well-made too. It is very much affordable but doesn't come across as 'cheap' in any way. I've been delighted with what I've had from them.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What he said.

After being disinterested in clothing purchases over the pandemic (as a matter of sobriety in relation to death and destruction) I've jumped back in and was reminded that I can drop 10K on clothes pretty easily. Not that I have done that yet, but it goes quick.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Birdwells came in and they are quite nice. Polished wood button fly, soft but study and light thin wale cord, a flattering cut.

I took a 32 in the navy and olive and they both measure 16.5 across the waist. they feel secure (as there are no belt loops) but not restricting, a comfortable fit for sure.

2088EF73-B30E-4A83-B20B-FD1F73D3AF36.jpeg

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Birdwells came in and they are quite nice. Polished wood button fly, soft but study and light thin wale cord, a flattering cut.

I took a 32 in the navy and olive and they both measure 16.5 across the waist. they feel secure (as there are no belt loops) but not restricting, a comfortable fit for sure.

View attachment 1597306
I have those and they are my most worn, but possibly because of nostalgia. They are comfy tho.

Reactions: kjb

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just wish they had belt loops - worried they won't stay up

papado

Reaction score
Stupid question, is it possible to “convert” trousers with side tabs to belt loops if there’s enough material available. Is it a fairly easy thing to do?

I typically do the opposite (belt loops-->side tabs) conversion on trousers so I'd assume it's certainly doable. Probably requires a little more work as someone will have to take the fabric and fold it into the individual loops to then affix to the waistband but should be doable by a competent tailor.

deanandrewj

Reaction score
@dieworkwear in the spirit of a hopeful to return to normal life in the near future, I was thinking I’d love to see a post on what to wear when “going out” at night. I recognize this is largely dependent on where and the formality of what you’re doing but I’ve always found this to be a challenging niche in the journey of dressing better. Neither regular daytime casual wear (raw denim, flannels, chore coats/field jackets etc) or more conservative office clothes (Navy sport with ocbd) are the right vibe if I’m headed to out to a cool new restaurant, dimly lit bar, or show. I know their are some “smart” casual, and darker/tonal dressing principles in some older posts but I think it’d be cool to see something focused on this concept. That open DB serge sport coat with the vintage tee and beat up jeans look from your last post look would be a cool place to start.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear in the spirit of a hopeful to return to normal life in the near future, I was thinking I’d love to see a post on what to wear when “going out” at night. I recognize this is largely dependent on where and the formality of what you’re doing but I’ve always found this to be a challenging niche in the journey of dressing better. Neither regular daytime casual wear (raw denim, flannels, chore coats/field jackets etc) or more conservative office clothes (Navy sport with ocbd) are the right vibe if I’m headed to out to a cool new restaurant, dimly lit bar, or show. I know their are some “smart” casual, and darker/tonal dressing principles in some older posts but I think it’d be cool to see something focused on this concept. That open DB serge sport coat with the vintage tee and beat up jeans look from your last post look would be a cool place to start.

I like that idea! I'll work on something.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I second this request! I also struggle with what to wear on those occasions -- for example, I always feel like the squarest-dressed man at a concert. I bought a black cafe racer a couple of years ago, because black leather looks good at night, but don't know what to wear it with -- essentially all of my casual shoes are brown or tan; an OCBD feels too dressy; a flannel shirt feels like too much of a contrast of sensibilities.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Those shorts look great, kjb! I'm trying to figure out what to do about shorts this year. I'm tall and have thick legs, and 5" shorts would fit me like a pair of boxers, but I'm also tiring of the same stone and "British tan" flat-front 10.5" chino shorts I've worn for years. Finding something fun in the middle ground has been more challenging than I had expected it to be.

jaaz16

Reaction score

View attachment 1597306
I have those and they are my most worn, but possibly because of nostalgia. They are comfy tho.
Those Birdwells look awesome, but I'm worried they'll be too tight in the thighs for me... is there some room in the thigh area?
I just wish they had belt loops - worried they won't stay up

Agree that they look great, but I was also worried about the lack of belt loops or drawstring. But if it works for you, awesome!

I ended up getting a pair of the Katin trails shorts which I believe Derek linked to in his Spring post and similarly have fatigue-style front patch pockets. I like them. They’re a touch narrow in the thighs (or maybe I’m getting some Peleton gainzzz?) but have a ton of stretch with an easy waist, so they’re super comfortable and less of a risk of falling down.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second this request! I also struggle with what to wear on those occasions -- for example, I always feel like the squarest-dressed man at a concert. I bought a black cafe racer a couple of years ago, because black leather looks good at night, but don't know what to wear it with -- essentially all of my casual shoes are brown or tan; an OCBD feels too dressy; a flannel shirt feels like too much of a contrast of sensibilities.

CM guys coming to the SWD dark side...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads