• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Nbarbar

Reaction score
The side sole threw me too. If anyone is interested these seem to be very close.
And Crocket & Jones get close too, except for the contrast stitch.

I don't know who made that exact model, but it looks like a new pair of black crepe-soled chukkas. Although the sides of the shoe look a bit too clean and smooth, so I'm not sure.

These BBs are kind of similar, although the bottom of the shoe doesn't match the other photos, so maybe it's not actually crepe-soled.

yea,

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose I've answered my own question in typing this post– should I go the balmacaan route? It's easier to pattern and has a better fitting shoulder, which I suppose will be important for when it's a classy Harris Tweed anorak.
If you plan on altering this pattern, or making adjustments during a fitting, you'll be glad to have that seam right on top of the shoulder like it is in the first two photos. Aesthetically, the Nigel Cabourn jacket doesn't look cleaner to me-- only slimmer. I see the fabric pulling under the armpits and down the inside of the upper arm, which might have something to do with the cloth having to do some 3-dimensional stuff to get around the shoulder to the seam in the back.

willyto

Reaction score
I watched last night a movie with Liam Neeson (not a very good one) and he was sporting similar boots to the ones you guys like around here. Those "Blundstones" chelsea type. Made me think of the blog.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you plan on altering this pattern, or making adjustments during a fitting, you'll be glad to have that seam right on top of the shoulder like it is in the first two photos. Aesthetically, the Nigel Cabourn jacket doesn't look cleaner to me-- only slimmer. I see the fabric pulling under the armpits and down the inside of the upper arm, which might have something to do with the cloth having to do some 3-dimensional stuff to get around the shoulder to the seam in the back.
Good points. Yes, I’m doing a test fit with canvas today. I’ve drafted the pattern from my body measurements. So, the coats are for me in addition to bring parts of my portfolio.

sid11111

Reaction score
Afternoon Gents,

Looking for jeans. I'm currently rocking some Uniqlo straight fit jeans. I don't think they carry it anymore. Looking for washable jeans that are decent quality without breaking the bank.

Any thoughts?

What about jeans from the +j or U line?

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone have recommendations for a poncho/drug rug? thinking of getting one as an alternative to the standard hoodie

I like this blue Faherty one, but it sold out in my (and most) sizes...

Ts(s) had a magnificent one a season or two ago, i'm not sure if they've done any other iterations.

1618926181764.png

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Womenswear really does seem to have very interesting cuts that are easily accessible compared to men's clothing.

My sister was showing me different tops and they all had completely different silhouettes that would mess around with length, drape(or lack of), and exaggerated shoulder lines.

That "Like Women" article that was deleted seemed to have great examples of a lot of this, I don't have pictures.

I recall being interested in a brand that @FlyingMonkey started a thread on in the streetwear forum. It seems to have incorporated a lot of that, but I found the overall aesthetic hard to incorporate into a classic menswear wardrobe.

That gets into the question of wardrobe focus and size that was discussed some pages back. I'm a novelty chaser, and I finally feel like I have a cohesive wardrobe for once.

Looking at the wide array of wardrobe's of UrbanComp and Gerry does have me tempted to continue trying out more things though.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall being interested in a brand that @FlyingMonkey started a thread on in the streetwear forum. It seems to have incorporated a lot of that, but I found the overall aesthetic hard to incorporate into a classic menswear wardrobe.

Rosen, right? I agree that it's probably impossible to incorporate into a CM wardrobe - it relates a lot more to avant-garde designers like Yohji Yamamoto, CdG and Issey Miyake, and it can also play nicely with some modern takes on traditional Chinese and Japanese clothes, and even some of the weirder end of the sports / leisurewear spectrum.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Rosen, right? I agree that it's probably impossible to incorporate into a CM wardrobe - it relates a lot more to avant-garde designers like Yohji Yamamoto, CdG and Issey Miyake, and it can also play nicely with some modern takes on traditional Chinese and Japanese clothes, and even some of the weirder end of the sports / leisurewear spectrum.

A buddy of mine does some Rosen-S in a casual CM-adjacent kind of way (he's not big on photos, but I will see if I can get him to take some). Definitely has a louche vibe the way he wears it.

That said, outside of work hours he's more like to look like an off duty asteroid miner in Rosen-X.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s fun but your wallet will hate you.
What he said.
Noted. This does give me some time to think more about it, not in a rush.
Yeah that's the one! I was shocked at accessible the pricepoint was as well. That's what got me thinking about possibly building a mini wardrobe in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads