• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny enough, I was just looking at that

$100 and below

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Afternoon Gents,

Looking for jeans. I'm currently rocking some Uniqlo straight fit jeans. I don't think they carry it anymore. Looking for washable jeans that are decent quality without breaking the bank.

Any thoughts?
I see that your limit is $100, if you can go a little above that, Bravestar is pretty great for the price point.

Gap, Taylor Stitch, Everlane and Unbranded are all fine options as well

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not just get current issue levi 501s?
Personally I don't like anything under 14.5-15 oz. Levis are just too light at 10.5-12.5.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
This is excessively inside baseball, but it is Die Workwear so I thought I would give it a shot. Does anyone know what boots Noboru wears below? Two eyelets I can find, but the thicker sole I can not.

Attachments

• DBD834C2-5EB2-419F-B5C1-3FE146E3A18D.png
    DBD834C2-5EB2-419F-B5C1-3FE146E3A18D.png
    778.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 05D338F7-3F23-410E-AF3B-0EA09266B717.png
    05D338F7-3F23-410E-AF3B-0EA09266B717.png
    768.6 KB · Views: 110

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is excessively inside baseball, but it is Die Workwear so I thought I would give it a shot. Does anyone know what boots Noboru wears below? Two eyelets I can find, but the thicker sole I can not.

I don't know who made that exact model, but it looks like a new pair of black crepe-soled chukkas. Although the sides of the shoe look a bit too clean and smooth, so I'm not sure.

These BBs are kind of similar, although the bottom of the shoe doesn't match the other photos, so maybe it's not actually crepe-soled.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some balmacaan-related advice. So, naturally, I thought this was the best place to ask.

I'm developing a raglan-sleeved coat pattern that will first be a 1930's-inspired natural indigo denim chore coat and then adapted to a Harris Tweed anorak. My question is related to whether or not I should place the sleeve seam in the top of the sleeve or rotate it to the back of the sleeve.

Classic balmacaans seem to place the seam along the top of the sleeve. The primary benefit of doing this is to essentially create a large dart that results in a well-shaped 'cup' on the shoulder and less fabric bunching under the arms.

tumblr_inline_p7ghhlkBWH1qfex1b_540.jpg

balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-worn-6@2x.jpg

On the Nigel Cabourn Cameraman, the seam is rotated to the back of the sleeve, which gives a slightly cleaner look, but it is not possible to create a nice shoulder roll, resulting in a lot of fabric bunching under the arms.
nigel-cabourn-classics_015_1296x.jpg

nigel-cabourn-classics_014.jpg

I suppose I've answered my own question in typing this post– should I go the balmacaan route? It's easier to pattern and has a better fitting shoulder, which I suppose will be important for when it's a classy Harris Tweed anorak.

Bonus photo– my half scale prototype of the denim chore coat in said natural indigo denim.
IMG_5235 2.jpg

Last edited:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sanders Luther has a thicker sole.
... as well as the new model from Clarks: Desert Boot 221, "Maintaining the versatility and authenticity of the original while adding a few twists of its own, this boot still ticks all the right style boxes in its 70th anniversary year".

26155800_W_1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads