• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What grown man with a normal sized body can fit into women's clothing?

Problem solved

nnnnick

Reaction score
Y
Ok, now I see what you mean now. Yes, it is not slim, especially looking at the chest and sleeves, but it definitely a straighter silhouette vs. an A-line.

I think both silhouettes look great.

That price for such a coat and fabric is an insane value.

I'm not familiar with Ari, nor did I know Lopez Aragon had a WhatsApp.

Lopez Aragon sounds like they're worth making a thread about if you're interested in giving us details about their ordering process. I know I'm not the only one who wanted to try them out, but was scared away from their confusing website.

Yes. I will share my experience with Lopez Aragon soon.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My journey through DWW on ‘put this on’ continues -
This one absolutely killed me. Recommended for anyone who wants to laugh at others, and yet also, themselves.

This just in, my girlfriend can never read anything Derek writes it will just be further proof I have a problem

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What grown man with a normal sized body can fit into women's clothing?
Personally, never even tried to fit into something in the women's section. It would be highly implausible. However, I do think that there's nothing wrong with taking style cues from women.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great interview and interesting observations by Derek. I enjoy Jeremy's interview style with all of his guests. Other excellent interviews on Blamo! are Ethan Newton, Mark Cho and designer Paul Smith.

For those interested, Derek did a podcast with Jeremy Kirkland at Blamo! and it’s everything I like about both individuals. Jeremy is cheerfully earnest and has a nerdy love of clothes, and whereas Derek is less idealistic about classic menswear it comes across as hopeful. Both enjoy wearing clothes and neither shout over each other, which is always a plus.

Blamo! is $5/month, which helps Jeremy offset his production costs and keeps the guy employed. Definitely worth it.

MaE

Reaction score
I bought a pair of covert twills, and it's the best dress trouser fabric I've ever worn.

I just wanted to share this gem of a video I found on YouTube while looking to learn more about (cavalry) twill fabrics, that DWW seems to like and recommends :)

polyfusion

Reaction score
A few pages back, I asked for some sweatshirt suggestions.
Taking on board DWW post, and everyone here's ideas, I bought a few to try - buzz rickson, one from sunspel, one from the real McCoy, one from dunlop, and one from Jcrew.
For me personally, the sunspel one was the best for fit / quality .Though it was certainly more contemporary, which surprised me as I thought I'd like something more vintage.
Buzz Rickson was just too short. And as much as I like a short sweatshirt, it felt a little too far. Something about its slightly squashed design made me look a bit like I was in a contemporary remake of the hobit. One more inch in length would have maybe been better. I think it would suit taller guys more, or guys with very slim chests. I could possibly size up, but buying a large seems weird for me, I'm normally a small. I'm not sure at which point, you're just buying a different sweatshirt by sizing up so much.
Real McCoy, was fine, but too tight, and though quality wise it seemed the best of the bunch, at £175 ($250?ish?), I couldn't justify it. It was very similar to BR, but maybe a little better
Dunlop felt great, and had a vibe I liked, but was too long.
Jcrew was fine, but expensive in the UK for what felt like OK quality.
In the end the only one I've kept is sunspel, and if I still dig it in a couple of weeks might buy a couple more.

That said, I'm curious on what peoples thoughts are on the best fit for a sweatshirt. I've been on lots of Don Quixote style quests for 'the perfect' (tshirt/jeans/blazer/trousers etc etc.) and sometimes I realise later I had it all wrong. Such as when I concluded in 2015 that low rise suit trousers were what I really needed ..........
Sweatshirts seem to fall into a category where I can't quite place the proportions I like, and what really goes with my wardrobe.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real McCoy, was fine, but too tight, and though quality wise it seemed the best of the bunch, at £175 ($250?ish?), I couldn't justify it. It was very similar to BR, but maybe a little better

I really like Merz, FWIW. But I also fall into the camp where I don't think it is necessary to find the platonic ideal of a sweatshirt.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few pages back, I asked for some sweatshirt suggestions.
Taking on board DWW post, and everyone here's ideas, I bought a few to try - buzz rickson, one from sunspel, one from the real McCoy, one from dunlop, and one from Jcrew.
For me personally, the sunspel one was the best for fit / quality .Though it was certainly more contemporary, which surprised me as I thought I'd like something more vintage.
Buzz Rickson was just too short. And as much as I like a short sweatshirt, it felt a little too far. Something about its slightly squashed design made me look a bit like I was in a contemporary remake of the hobit. One more inch in length would have maybe been better. I think it would suit taller guys more, or guys with very slim chests. I could possibly size up, but buying a large seems weird for me, I'm normally a small. I'm not sure at which point, you're just buying a different sweatshirt by sizing up so much.
Dunlop felt great, and had a vibe I liked, but was too long.
Jcrew was fine, but expensive in the UK for what felt like OK quality.
In the end the only one I've kept is sunspel, and if I still dig it in a couple of weeks might buy a couple more.

That said, I'm curious on what peoples thoughts are on the best fit for a sweatshirt. I've been on lots of Don Quixote style quests for 'the perfect' (tshirt/jeans/blazer/trousers etc etc.) and sometimes I realise later I had it all wrong. Such as when I concluded in 2015 that low rise suit trousers were what I really needed ..........
Sweatshirts seem to fall into a category where I can't quite place the proportions I like, and what really goes with my wardrobe.

while i understand the idea of the ideal fit, it's really what your personal preference is and what makes you most comfortable. you can have it fit closer to the body for "cleaner looks" or get something more oversized for "relaxed looks." i have both styles and i think they work best with different outfits. but i'd think as long as nobody can see the muscle definition in your arms or chest or your stomach poking out anything beyond that will look good as long as you like it.

it seems based on your analysis you veer more towards contemporary stuff versus the repo traditional. that's totally cool and as long as what you ultimately decide on is comfortable on you and congruent with the rest of your outfit, you're golden.

deanandrewj

Reaction score
I’m in need of one of those DWW seasonal “Things I’m excited about” type posts a la “You’re getting warmer” or “A bit of inspiration for Spring”. The weather is changing and I’m at that weird transition point where I have no idea what to wear anymore and feeling uninspired. Hope you have one of those in the works this season!

apShepard

Reaction score
I'm going to ask here since it seems that anything goes. Would the following combination worn by Simon be too piti uomo-esque for casual?
bespoke-tan-jacket-and-green-linen.jpg

Remove the tie and pocket square and add some socks.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I'm going to ask here since it seems that anything goes. Would the following combination worn by Simon be too piti uomo-esque for casual? View attachment 1580612

Can’t say I’m a big fan of the sockless look, but I must admit that photo sent me on a long and ultimately fruitless search for the perfect pair of green linen pants several years ago. Add some socks and I’m a fan of the whole outfit.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like Merz, FWIW. But I also fall into the camp where I don't think it is necessary to find the platonic ideal of a sweatshirt.
I just ordered a Merz sweatshirt from No Man Walks Alone. Very excited to try it. I am of the camp that I don't need a "perfect" sweatshirt, but I like sweatshirts and if I am wearing something I gotta love it.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely add the socks, but it is a great look even minus tie and pocket square
Can’t say I’m a big fan of the sockless look, but I must admit that photo sent me on a long and ultimately fruitless search for the perfect pair of green linen pants several years ago.
I've never found a linen pant in any color I liked, I think the fabric just might not be for me when it comes to pants. I do love a good linen shirt though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads