• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Are soft packs still a thing?

I quit last year, but I know you could still buy Marlboro soft packs in Thailand when I was living there two years ago. Whether or not you can buy them in the US I’ve no idea, but they’re definitely still making them. They were always my pack of choice as they were easier to carry in the pocket of my shorts (or my chest pocket like Hopper but much, *much* less cool) without causing an unsightly sharp lump.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quit last year, but I know you could still buy Marlboro soft packs in Thailand when I was living there two years ago. Whether or not you can buy them in the US I’ve no idea, but they’re definitely still making them. They were always my pack of choice as they were easier to carry in the pocket of my shorts (or my chest pocket like Hopper but much, *much* less cool) without causing an unsightly sharp lump.

Much easier to extract a cig with just one hand free too

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got the loose fit stan ray fatigues.

Very cool carrot silhouette. The thighs are loose, but it still overall has a tapered look. Quite long though. I have to admit, these are the comfiest pants I've had in a while.

Better to permanently hem these like a pair of khakis, or just roll up the cuffs?

Edit: Oh, also, surprisingly the waist is not baggy either. I sized up to a 34 and they still somehow easily fit. Definitely not a vanity sized brand.

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of a pain it is for someone to find and pull something that you order online...

I've been in to O'Connell's a couple of times and I'm always amazed by how cluttered the store seems and simultaneously how quickly the staff seems to be able to locate anything.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to try a black cotton turtleneck from Land's End as a test. Bought one that feels like a thin long sleeve t-shirt, but with a turtleneck.

Jesus, ok now I get the appeal for these. Menswear is all about framing the face, and nothing frames my face better than this. It also works with basically everything in my wardrobe. I'm super excited to wear this.

We'll see how it ages through washing, but I'm ok with a faded black over time.

If it works out, I may have caught a new bug, despite being a person that runs warm.

slows2k

Reaction score
Jesus, ok now I get the appeal for these.

On a lark recently I bought a Champion x Todd Snyder turtleneck sweatshirt on sale. Received it and immediately ordered another. It has been one of the best purchases I've made in a while and I've been thinking about exploring the thinner versions, like T-shirt style cotton ones. What made you settle on the Lands end? I tried one from Uniqlo but the fit was weird...

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a lark recently I bought a Champion x Todd Snyder turtleneck sweatshirt on sale. Received it and immediately ordered another. It has been one of the best purchases I've made in a while and I've been thinking about exploring the thinner versions, like T-shirt style cotton ones. What made you settle on the Lands end? I tried one from Uniqlo but the fit was weird...
Would that turtleneck sweatshirt run quite warm?

It was a shot in the dark for me. L.L. Bean and Lands End seem to have a good reputation for basic, dependable items, so I randomly tried the latter.

So far so good, but we'll see long term. The cuffs and neck also have a 2% spandex blend, the rest of the shirt is cotton. Seems like a good combination.

The shirt is long, so it's definitely something you tuck in. I know some have gripes with tucking turtlenecks, but it looks and feels good with a thinner material.

I bought a small with help from customer service and I'm a 38" chest. The sizing chart says a small is for a 34-36" chest, but I found that to be false. Not loose or slim on me. It seems like Land's End runs quite large based on that.

slows2k

Reaction score
Would that turtleneck sweatshirt run quite warm?

Thanks for all the details. Might give one a shot.

I run moderately warm and I don't find the sweatshirt is too warm to wear. I did get the heavyweight one though and you would probably get better results with the mid or lightweight versions. Its a style they carry a lot, including in shoulder seasons in different weights and colors. I've worn mine to run in, as an outer layer, and casually under a coat. It's incredibly versatile and comfortable. They run a little bit small, seems to be the consensus. I'm a "smedium" or 38/40 and went with a medium. After a couple wash/dry cycles it shrunk down a bit into the perfect not-baggy-but-not-slim sweatshirt.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to try a black cotton turtleneck from Land's End as a test. Bought one that feels like a thin long sleeve t-shirt, but with a turtleneck.

Jesus, ok now I get the appeal for these. Menswear is all about framing the face, and nothing frames my face better than this. It also works with basically everything in my wardrobe. I'm super excited to wear this.

We'll see how it ages through washing, but I'm ok with a faded black over time.

If it works out, I may have caught a new bug, despite being a person that runs warm.
I agree both on their framing the face and being versatile. I have been wearing them more recently this winter, partly to cut down on heating bills, while spending so much time at home.

Turtlenecks are often discussed simply in terms of going in and out of fashion. Their last time under a sustained spotlight was, IMO, the 60's and 70's. At that point, winter indoor heating was a lot less toasty than it is now, both in the US, and particularly in some parts of Europe with older building stocks. In those circumstances, having a very warm sweater was functionally useful indoors as well as outside.

Dadacantona

Reaction score
I live in a 120 year old house with no insulation, single glazing and a north facing sitting room. It looks beautiful but it’s ******* freezing in winter. I live in turtle necks in those months because they’re uniquely warm, but they also look great. I think the framing of the face that others have mentioned is certainly a part of it and I think it’s why they look so good with tailoring as an alternative to a shirt and tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads