• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was reading the "things better bought used" article on PTO. How much room do you all look for in a denim jacket?

I'm looking at one with a 21" p2p. My chest is 38" and I usually wear a 38R in jackets.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was reading the "things better bought used" article on PTO. How much room do you all look for in a denim jacket?

I'm looking at one with a 21" p2p. My chest is 38" and I usually wear a 38R in jackets.

I'm a 38 too and I'd prefer a 20" chest, myself. I size leather jackets and casual clothes much slimmer - if you've got it, flaunt it.

The cut has to be right though, or you'll be too constricted. Yet another reason I prefer in-person shopping.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 38 too and I'd prefer a 20" chest, myself. I size leather jackets and casual clothes much slimmer - if you've got it, flaunt it.

The cut has to be right though, or you'll be too constricted. Yet another reason I prefer in-person shopping.
Yeah that's my hesitancy. I sized slim for a leather jacket in the past and it felt horrible. It looked great though.

I feel like a slightly roomy denim jacket has more room for error?

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Some of the really bold gun club checks have the same problem, I think they are difficult to pair with other clothes. @voxsartoria had a London Lounge red and black gun club made up that he paired with denim but I think there were still better matches for the denim.

Urgh, tell me about it. I’d bought my third gun club check sport coat without ever wearing them out of the house before I figured out the problem was that I didn’t own a single thing that went with them.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's my hesitancy. I sized slim for a leather jacket in the past and it felt horrible. It looked great though.

I feel like a slightly roomy denim jacket has more room for error?

I just measured my favourite one (by Richard James, New York). It's actually smaller in the chest, at about 19". Bear in mind though that I have wider shoulders, so I can get away with a slimmer chest if the shoulders are right.

I think there's no harm in going for a 21" chest, especially if you're planning on keeping up with your weight training. At the worst it will allow for some layering underneath, but maybe make sure you can return it if it's no good?

Keith Taylor

Reaction score

21” sounds about right for a fairly slim fit, provided your waist matches your chest. If you carry your weight at your belly a 21” chest might be a bit snug there. I don’t wear much denim, but when I buy jackets I always try before I buy as the fabric is so unforgiving.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just measured my favourite one (by Richard James, New York). It's actually smaller in the chest, at about 19". Bear in mind though that I have wider shoulders, so I can get away with a slimmer chest if the shoulders are right.

I think there's no harm in going for a 21" chest, especially if you're planning on keeping up with your weight training. At the worst it will allow for some layering underneath, but maybe make sure you can return it if it's no good?
Yeah I don't think there's any returns on this vintage one I was looking at, which is basically why I was asking for the fit everyone looks for. I wonder if it doesn't matter because it's a cropped fit anyway.
21” sounds about right for a fairly slim fit, provided your waist matches your chest. If you carry your weight at your belly a 21” chest might be a bit snug there. I don’t wear much denim, but when I buy jackets I always try before I buy as the fabric is so unforgiving.
Yeah I should be okay in terms of waist. Normally my problem is the hips catching, and denim jackets are fairly cropped. The jacket looks faded in the elbows and a bit in the collar, so I assume it's going to be neither stiff nor soft.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm a 38 chest and have a vintage Lee 101-J. Mine measures 21" across the chest, pit to pit, and then 19" across the back's shoulders.

imagejpg_72e6ba2d-c733-4a66-b34b-c4dfab77d674_1024x1024.jpg

I think it depends on the silhouette you're going for. Lee's 101J (or Storm Rider if you want the blanket-lined version) is cut loose, short, and has a dropped shoulder seam. The silhouette is more of a V-shape, so you want it to be a bit relaxed

P0.jpg
E32972CE-6AA5-432A-AF12-8F2D2E4F71D5 2.jpg

By contrast, Levi's Type III is more fitted and has a more rectangular silhouette.

86fa9a97d2132d153f7e0fab29ac3b5d.jpg
style-blogs-the-gq-eye-WS_MG_015520110705.jpg

I think you can get away with a smaller chest on the Levi's version. 3sixteen's has a similar silhouette and they list their small as having a 19.75" chest and the medium as being 20.5". If you were to do that with the Lee version, I think it would be too small because of the intended silhouette.

316_SS_01-682x1025.jpg

cr2596

Reaction score
I’m a 39” chest and a 38L. My best fitting trucker (type 3 style) is a 21” P2P. Looks great over a shirt or with layers underneath without being constricted.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 38 chest and have a vintage Lee 101-J. Mine measures 21" across the chest, pit to pit, and then 19" across the back's shoulders.

View attachment 1559990

I think it depends on the silhouette you're going for. Lee's 101J (or Storm Rider if you want the blanket-lined version) is cut loose, short, and has a dropped shoulder seam. The silhouette is more of a V-shape, so you want it to be a bit relaxed

View attachment 1559991 View attachment 1559992

By contrast, Levi's Type III is more fitted and has a more rectangular silhouette.

I think you can get away with a smaller chest on the Levi's version. 3sixteen's has a similar silhouette and they list their small as having a 19.75" chest and the medium as being 20.5". If you were to do that with the Lee version, I think it would be too small because of the intended silhouette.

Perfect. Yes I was just looking at a Lee's and it looks to be roughly the same measurements with the slanted pockets. I dig the old guy's fit. Sounds like I should bite on this one then.

I don't think the standard rectangle+slim fit would look good on me.

What's the length on your jacket?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perfect. Yes I was just looking at a Lee's and it looks to be roughly the same measurements with the slanted pockets. I dig the old guy's fit. Sounds like I should bite on this one then.

I don't think the standard rectangle+slim fit would look good on me.

What's the length on your jacket?

Mine is 21.5" in length. Measured at the back of the jacket from the collar seam to the hem. FWIW, I'm 5'10" and find it hits the waistband of my jeans

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine is 21.5" in length. Measured at the back of the jacket from the collar seam to the hem. FWIW, I'm 5'10" and find it hits the waistband of my jeans
Woah ok, I may have to continue searching then. This one looks to be a good 3" longer, if not more. That would definitely go well past the top of my waistband.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Urgh, tell me about it. I’d bought my third gun club check sport coat without ever wearing them out of the house before I figured out the problem was that I didn’t own a single thing that went with them.

Which is why it is important to build a cohesive wardrobe with items that complement each other, and not just buy good looking individual pieces:

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Which is why it is important to build a cohesive wardrobe with items that complement each other, and not just buy good looking individual pieces:

True, but sometimes good sense takes a back seat when you stumble on something you really like. Your wardrobe wouldn’t be complete without a few ill advised choices lurking shamefully in the back :)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When a client picks a cloth for a jacket my next question is what trousers or shirts will you wear with this. then we look thru sample books. Not to sell trousers or shirts but to see how practical the jacket is. Also to see if the trousers you pick are already in your wardrobe. Can be a deal breaker if the cloth is difficult to pair with a trouser or you have to find that one perfect shade of color to work. Or if it is limited to working with only a specific weave/texture of cloth.
Next input is; buy a jacket that works with several trouser combinations or else you just bought an odd jacket that is worn in the same way a suit is. Always with the one trouser. If you have 30 jackets it’s not the end of the world. If you want expansive wardrobe possibilities with a few jackets, get jackets that accessorize easily. It’s the accessories that alter the look/application of the jacket. Casual to dressed up.
Resist picking cloths that on their own are home runs because of unique colors or patterns but aren’t easy to wear.
Real life example is a client loves a cloth, makes it up as a jacket. 6 months later I ask how he likes it or does he wear it often and I hear, “ don’t wear it, I don’t know what to wear with it”

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads