• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, that's so killer UC. I am digging the fit overall, the chunkiness of the boots/sweater really adds to it. I feel like patchwork anything can be really hard to pull off, but something about the swatches they chose for it actually makes it all run together really nicely, it looks like a cohesive coat. It's so easy for patchwork to go too "vineyard vines" or super-prep, I think this nails all the best of what makes patchwork awesome. Length is perfect too.
I think traditional patchwork is of the madras variety; very bright, jarring, and feels like an eyesore. "Go To Hell" indeed.

A lot of the patchwork in this thread is the exact opposite and uses muted, dusty, earthy colours which is a much better looking and versatile aesthetic IMO.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, that's so killer UC. I am digging the fit overall, the chunkiness of the boots/sweater really adds to it. I feel like patchwork anything can be really hard to pull off, but something about the swatches they chose for it actually makes it all run together really nicely, it looks like a cohesive coat. It's so easy for patchwork to go too "vineyard vines" or super-prep, I think this nails all the best of what makes patchwork awesome. Length is perfect too.
I think traditional patchwork is of the madras variety; very bright, jarring, and feels like an eyesore. "Go To Hell" indeed.

A lot of the patchwork in this thread is the exact opposite and uses muted, dusty, earthy colours which is a much better looking and versatile aesthetic IMO.
I agree, the idea of patchwork always appealed to me, but it was always so in your face. Summer, fine. For a winter coat it would be ridiculous but these muted colors are so pleasant, they tone down the haphazard patterns of all the bits and pieces that make it up.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
First time I’ve seen a bal and thought “it looks like a bathrobe.” Weird, as I didn’t feel that way from your earlier photo.

Here we go with the bathrobe thing again from like 30 pages ago lol! I personally want to know where everyone is finding such thick and sturdy bathrobes these days, but to each his own! Just messing with you, CR. I personally think it looks great

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time I’ve seen a bal and thought “it looks like a bathrobe.” Weird, as I didn’t feel that way from your earlier photo.
Ha! I'm not the only one. I brought that up first.

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That reminds me of some unconventional overcoat styles I found. I can't remember if I posted these before.

Didn't ALD also have a shawl camel coat like that? Maybe it's a new trend.

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aime Leon Dore?

No idea, have any pictures?
25_58729813-0751-4287-9632-da1337767c8c_800x.jpg

cr2596

Reaction score
Here we go with the bathrobe thing again from like 30 pages ago lol! I personally want to know where everyone is finding such thick and sturdy bathrobes these days, but to each his own! Just messing with you, CR. I personally think it looks great
Ha! I'm not the only one. I brought that up first.
I remember it, but I never once saw the correlation in any of the photos. Till, UC posted the most recent photo, that is.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Got a chance to wear the patchwork bal out in the wild. Such a great coat, it goes with denim, khakis, pretty much everything less casual than a worsted suit.
View attachment 1538872

Speaking of Bals and UC, can someone answer this for me? I picked up that surprisingly awesome A&F Moon & Sons coat when it came out (in large part to seeing it work successfully for you, @UrbanComposition ). After learning more through this thread, is it technically a Balmacaan? Go easy on me fellas if I am mistaken.

This is a very proportionally strange photo of mine, and regrettably I don't have any more good DSLR-type photos of that fit. But you get the idea of the coat I am referring to I am sure. Maybe the sleeves are a touch too long. Can confirm, that sweet tweed is high quality.
IMG_1702.jpg

jalebi

Reaction score
Speaking of Bals and UC, can someone answer this for me? I picked up that surprisingly awesome A&F Moon & Sons coat when it came out (in large part to seeing it work successfully for you, @UrbanComposition ). After learning more through this thread, is it technically a Balmacaan? Go easy on me fellas if I am mistaken.

This is a very proportionally strange photo of mine, and regrettably I don't have any more good DSLR-type photos of that fit. But you get the idea of the coat I am referring to I am sure. Maybe the sleeves are a touch too long. Can confirm, that sweet tweed is high quality.
View attachment 1540092
Doesn't appear to have raglan sleeves, which I believe bals have.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@StaticProgression

Single breasted, fly-front, hybrid raglan/set-in sleeve, shirt collar, hand warmer pockets.

Yep that's a Balmacaan. The only differing aspect is the hybrid shoulder from the usual pure raglan shoulder coats.

DSCF5656.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads