• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren fandom aside, I'm interested in your take on this @dieworkwear from a historical perspective: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/17/joe-biden-ralph-lauren-inauguration-suit

I thought, typically, that presidents try and wear MiUSA stuff for official business functions. I seem to recall that Martin Greenfield or BB was often cited as the tailor to presidents and that AE Park Aves were the 'presidential' shoe. Obviously that seems to have been tossed aside with Trump and his penchant for Brioni suits (I'm willing to bet he owned a good number of them already before assuming office). I also seem to remember Tom Ford talking about how he would have loved to dress Obama or Buttigieg, but that he thought it would be inappropriate for a politican to wear a $5K suit

Are we likely talking RLPL (St Andrews) here? Does RL make any suits in the USA? With the downfall of BB and MiUSA tailoring, do you think these sort of traditions are going to go by the wayside?

Bonus Q - how does the presidential wardrobe work, do they get free suits that they charge to tax payers?

On your Bonus Q. 3 U.S.C. § 102 provides an "expense allowance of $50,000 to assist in defraying expenses relating to or resulting from the discharge of his official duties." I suspect that like suits not falling under the IRS Code for tax deductions - unlike uniforms - the same would apply to the expense allowance. But, white tie might apply for state dinners if it's not something already owned, because that would be part of discharge of official duties and it's not something worn in the normal course of events. A bullet proof suit would seem to fall under the expense account.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Well, on a related note, here is an ebay listing with a prl jacket that might have belonged to Joe. And the below pic also looks kind of polo-esque.
1611021501172.png

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Well, on a related note, here is an ebay listing with a prl jacket that might have belonged to Joe. And the below pic also looks kind of polo-esque.
View attachment 1538328

That's intriguing, but notice the lack of right-side ticket pocket on the ebay listing. Also, the buttons appear to be different. However, no doubt he has a million sportcoats/could have multiple made in same fabric.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
1611070971240.png

At what point does accurate repro go too far for normal wear? Here's my suggestion - ultimate utilitarian central back pocket. These are the types of pants I think look cool in my head, but if actually worn I would just not be able to justify (or feel like explaining to people at work.) How does one wear these? In what profession does this make sense to wear and not be a poser? Mercenary, but very old-school in kit and weaponry? Or maybe for reenactments?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1538559

At what point does accurate repro go too far for normal wear? Here's my suggestion - ultimate utilitarian central back pocket. These are the types of pants I think look cool in my head, but if actually worn I would just not be able to justify (or feel like explaining to people at work.) How does one wear these? In what profession does this make sense to wear and not be a poser? Mercenary, but very old-school in kit and weaponry? Or maybe for reenactments?

My buddy wears those. I think I first saw them on him ... about 15 years ago? It was a very long time ago. I remember the first time I saw them, I thought they were ridiculous, but looked weirdly good on him. He's a super stylish guy who's very handsome -- has a sort of "all American" man look about him -- and dresses in all Polo. I still gave him heck for it because he had a big ass pocket on his butt. But since then, I've seen so many ridiculous fashion things, those have become very normal. Nigel Cabourn has his own version.

Will say, they remind me of Karl Pilkington's Pilko Pump Pants

StaticProgression

Reaction score
My buddy wears those. I think I first saw them on him ... about 15 years ago? It was a very long time ago. I remember the first time I saw them, I thought they were ridiculous, but looked weirdly good on him. He's a super stylish guy who's very handsome -- has a sort of "all American" man look about him -- and dresses in all Polo. I still gave him heck for it because he had a big ass pocket on his butt. But since then, I've seen so many ridiculous fashion things, those have become very normal. Nigel Cabourn has his own version.

Will say, they remind me of Karl Pilkington's Pilko Pump Pants

"That's a quality zip, it's not getting stuck" ? that's an incredible video.

Yeah, the "dresses in all polo" aspect would help. I am sure in person, they'd have to look awesome. I mean, for people who love workwear or milsurp-esque vintage, this would be a clear enthusiast mark and would probably, as you said, look somehow awesome in the greater context of the outfit. One doesn't just throw them on and walk out the door with Ultraboost on.

I love the fact that they would still produce and sell these, I may not be able to pull them off, and may make fun of them, but it's things like this that make Ralph Lauren special - to be so incredibly huge and yet still commission stuff like this, or some of the more crazy RRL pieces. They know they may not sell well - but that's entirely besides the point. It's awesome.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
View attachment 1538559

thats for when the 16 pockets on your fly fishing vest aren’t sufficient and you have an assistant who doesn’t flinch at digging hooks out of your ass when you slip and fall in the water

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
That's intriguing, but notice the lack of right-side ticket pocket on the ebay listing. Also, the buttons appear to be different. However, no doubt he has a million sportcoats/could have multiple made in same fabric.

Oh. I wasn't suggesting they were the same jacket, just that he seems to like PRL, or at least that aesthetic.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those butt flap pants remind of old timey WB cartoons where the gold miner gets blown up with dynamite and he has the old timey PJs with the ass hanging out.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Union suit. Started off as women's underwear and later adopted by men. Was also the progenitor to t-shirts

View attachment 1538699

Would love to see the dealer's substitute "should he not have them." Not that it would matter, since I would contact Lewis for a pair (or, for one? The pants are built in technically. Not sure how to refer to it)

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Got a chance to wear the patchwork bal out in the wild. Such a great coat, it goes with denim, khakis, pretty much everything less casual than a worsted suit.
View attachment 1538872

Man, that's so killer UC. I am digging the fit overall, the chunkiness of the boots/sweater really adds to it. I feel like patchwork anything can be really hard to pull off, but something about the swatches they chose for it actually makes it all run together really nicely, it looks like a cohesive coat. It's so easy for patchwork to go too "vineyard vines" or super-prep, I think this nails all the best of what makes patchwork awesome. Length is perfect too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads