• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

true.to.size

Reaction score
But really, it's always good to read such things, imo... as a reminder that our habits, even if sincere, are perceived as affectations, which is fair.

Psyko

Reaction score
Anyone here have any suggestions for casual, patterned shirts with collars long enough to work under sports jackets?

Like these:

Screenshot_20210117-201753_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210117-201617_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210117-201603_Chrome.jpg

StaticProgression

Reaction score
I mentioned this in my intro recently, but wanted to drop it here.

Derek, thanks so much for all you've written through the years. I owe you a lot for shaping how I look at style, and appreciate clothes, heritage (or lack thereof), and the appreciation of construction, fabrics, etc. I have really loved seeing you evolve as a writer and see how your style has evolved throughout the years. I hope to continue reading many more years of your thought-provoking posts. I am also thankful for how you have influenced my style in a helpful nudge way, not necessarily just saying "buy this and you're cool now" like a lot of places do, which encourages mindless plug and play consumption over mindful, enthusiast selection. And also, somehow simultaneously caring way too much about this hobby we all love, and then being like "screw it do whatever" the next paragraph.

From a young guy starting off reading way back in the day, thank you for all your help.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Derek, thanks so much for all you've written through the years. I owe you a lot for shaping how I look at style, and appreciate clothes, heritage (or lack thereof), and the appreciation of construction, fabrics, etc. I have really loved seeing you evolve as a writer and see how your style has evolved throughout the years. I hope to continue reading many more years of your thought-provoking posts. I am also thankful for how you have influenced my style in a helpful nudge way, not necessarily just saying "buy this and you're cool now" like a lot of places do, which encourages mindless plug and play consumption over mindful, enthusiast selection. And also, somehow simultaneously caring way too much about this hobby we all love, and then being like "screw it do whatever" the next paragraph.

From a young guy starting off reading way back in the day, thank you for all your help.

Wow, thanks SP! This has been a hard week and I genuinely appreciate your note. Thanks again!

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Wow, thanks SP! This has been a hard week and I genuinely appreciate your note. Thanks again!

Of course man! I do wish you all the best, and pray you have a great week ahead. This life is much more than clothes, as we all no doubt realized especially in this difficult year, so take care of yourself.

Also, I blame you for why I love workwear now, which really wasn't the goal in the first place - the Japanese brands in particular (Post, Stevenson) are threatening to kill my savings goals.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very nicely put and I couldn't agree more. Thanks again @dieworkwear!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren fandom aside, I'm interested in your take on this @dieworkwear from a historical perspective: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/17/joe-biden-ralph-lauren-inauguration-suit

I thought, typically, that presidents try and wear MiUSA stuff for official business functions. I seem to recall that Martin Greenfield or BB was often cited as the tailor to presidents and that AE Park Aves were the 'presidential' shoe. Obviously that seems to have been tossed aside with Trump and his penchant for Brioni suits (I'm willing to bet he owned a good number of them already before assuming office). I also seem to remember Tom Ford talking about how he would have loved to dress Obama or Buttigieg, but that he thought it would be inappropriate for a politican to wear a $5K suit

Are we likely talking RLPL (St Andrews) here? Does RL make any suits in the USA? With the downfall of BB and MiUSA tailoring, do you think these sort of traditions are going to go by the wayside?

Bonus Q - how does the presidential wardrobe work, do they get free suits that they charge to tax payers?

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren fandom aside, I'm interested in your take on this @dieworkwear from a historical perspective: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/17/joe-biden-ralph-lauren-inauguration-suit

I thought, typically, that presidents try and wear MiUSA stuff for official business functions. I seem to recall that Martin Greenfield or BB was often cited as the tailor to presidents and that AE Park Aves were the 'presidential' shoe. Obviously that seems to have been tossed aside with Trump and his penchant for Brioni suits (I'm willing to bet he owned a good number of them already before assuming office). I also seem to remember Tom Ford talking about how he would have loved to dress Obama or Buttigieg, but that he thought it would be inappropriate for a politican to wear a $5K suit

Are we likely talking RLPL (St Andrews) here? Does RL make any suits in the USA? With the downfall of BB and MiUSA tailoring, do you think these sort of traditions are going to go by the wayside?

Bonus Q - how does the presidential wardrobe work, do they get free suits that they charge to tax payers?

Did you read the article? It clearly states he’s wearing a MiUS suit. Blue Label (Polo) is currently MiUS

As far as how “it works”
For most politicians (congress etc) they buy their own clothes.
But my guess is there’s some sort of consideration given to the Inaugural suit. Likely a gift from RL (in exchange for the publicity) similar to much of the clothes worn the Oscars.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think Brooks Brothers is most known for dressing US presidents, as they've dressed 39 of the last 45. But notably, not everyone wore a Brooks Brothers suit to their inauguration. I believe only a small number have -- less than ten, I think. Obama wore a bulletproof suit he had custom made, but then a Brooks Brothers topcoat over that. I don't know who made his bulletproof suit, but throughout his presidency, he often wore suits from Hart Schaffner Marx for sentimental reasons. The company is located in Chicago.

Some of Ralph Lauren's suits are made in Rochester, New York at the Hickey Freeman factory.

Ralph Lauren also made the 2016 US Olympics jackets at the Hickey Freeman. Our own JefferyD was part of that design team.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you read the article? It clearly states he’s wearing a MiUS suit. Blue Label (Polo) is currently MiUS

As far as how “it works”
For most politicians (congress etc) they buy their own clothes.
But my guess is there’s some sort of consideration given to the Inaugural suit. Likely a gift from RL (in exchange for the publicity) similar to much of the clothes worn the Oscars.

There are ethics rules about receiving gifts. Members of Congress, for example, cannot receive anything of value except promotional items of nominal value, awards (trophies and the like that have little to no value), greeting cards, and sometimes (the House and Senate rules change periodically and I never keep up exactly) t-shirts. A corporation can't give a suit to a politician as a gift. Because of these rules, you'll see members of Congress offices with shelves full of plastic trinkets and awards engraved with their names.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads