• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear, have you had any issues with your website lately? I was trying to go back to your old article about Mercer shirts, but apparently it's not available anymore. Do articles just get periodically deleted after a while?

Yes, some posts get taken down after a while for various reasons. I've put that one back up, though.

Do people actually look at old posts? I just assumed the number who do so is so small, no one would care or notice.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear If you don't mind discussing, I imagine you've been approached a few times to co-sponsor or collaborate on a product, not in a branded post kind of way, but more of what Permanent Style does. What are your reasons for turning down that Drakes x DWW capsule collection money?

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Yes, some posts get taken down after a while for various reasons. I've put that one back up, though.

Do people actually look at old posts? I just assumed the number who do so is so small, no one would care or notice.

Yeah. I like the old posts where you get really excited about some product or another or where you show-off something you recently bought.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear If you don't mind discussing, I imagine you've been approached a few times to co-sponsor or collaborate on a product, not in a branded post kind of way, but more of what Permanent Style does. What are your reasons for turning down that Drakes x DWW capsule collection money?

This is a big topic, but the short of it is, I try to keep some distance from brands because I feel it results in better writing and more trust with readers. That said, I don't begrudge or judge anyone for doing such partnerships (at this point, that's mainly Simon). I think Simon does great work and I read his site regularly.

Editorial integrity is kind of big topic and prob hard to tackle on a forum because of the nature of posts. Would be easier to have an oral discussion about it. I don't think it's a situation with clear and easy answers.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
This is a big topic, but the short of it is, I try to keep some distance from brands because I feel it results in better writing and more trust with readers. That said, I don't begrudge or judge anyone for doing such partnerships (at this point, that's mainly Simon). I think Simon does great work and I read his site regularly.

Editorial integrity is kind of big topic and prob hard to tackle on a forum because of the nature of posts. Would be easier to have an oral discussion about it. I don't think it's a situation with clear and easy answers.

Eh. People who want to doubt your integrity will do so regardless. I look at it like this: your reputation is at stake and you want to sell a good product. You're not going to choose to make something with a brand that you think is sub-par. That's bad for your reputation and not good for encouraging customers to come back for more. You want to sell the best product you can at a given price. Indeed, choosing to work with a brand is one of the strongest endorsements you can give. Furthermore, there would be no reason for you to suck up to brands that don't make good stuff, because you wouldn't want to make products with them. This isn't even a matter of trusting you. I simply think that a rational self-interested agent wouldn't be dishonest about these things.

Simon does some interesting products and I assume you would too. I have never seen a picture of you as far as I know, but I gather that my aesthetic sensibilities align more closely with yours than they do with Simon's.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think they are generally a good thing - the exception would be if you were talking about some Scottish knitwear maker who subsequently blew up, and had the brand name sold to some other country for use as prestige branding - at that point, there isn't much good, and in fact some bad that would occur from keeping up an old piece in its original form.

I am admittedly a bit of a fundamentalist on these things - I think more web sites should take care to avoid rendering 404 page not found errors.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I used that one to guide my bespoke safari jacket. In retrospect, that shade of blue for me + safari jacket was probably one of my more disastrous ideas.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else keep a running list of wants/needs(lol) for style items?

My current one is mainly full of things like black jeans, shawl cardigans, rugby shirts etc.

It always brings me back down to earth during these temptations of black friday sales and knowing what I actually want, or end up buying out of 'retail therapy'.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have and try to adhere to the list. I waited and waited for the right pair of black jeans, and finally found them earlier this year from Rogue Territory. Wearing them now, in fact. The list helps limit how much I spend on unnecessary CM items during sales since I'm pretty well stocked up, and it freed up money to pay full price on my previously neglected casual wardrobe.

Very grateful I never jumped on the safari jacket train. But there are plenty of other mistakes still sitting around in my closet.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah I used that one to guide my bespoke safari jacket. In retrospect, that shade of blue for me + safari jacket was probably one of my more disastrous ideas.

I warned you!

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else keep a running list of wants/needs(lol) for style items?

My current one is mainly full of things like black jeans, shawl cardigans, rugby shirts etc.

It always brings me back down to earth during these temptations of black friday sales and knowing what I actually want, or end up buying out of 'retail therapy'.

I started doing this since last year, it helps with budgeting and keeping the wardrobe streamlined!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have and try to adhere to the list. I waited and waited for the right pair of black jeans, and finally found them earlier this year from Rogue Territory. Wearing them now, in fact. The list helps limit how much I spend on unnecessary CM items during sales since I'm pretty well stocked up, and it freed up money to pay full price on my previously neglected casual wardrobe.

Very grateful I never jumped on the safari jacket train. But there are plenty of other mistakes still sitting around in my closet.
Curious, what kind did you pick up? I'm still undecided to picking up a standard pair of high rise ones from Wrangler, that will likely fade to a dark charcoal, or pick up a pair of one of those sulphur dyed jeans that supposedly don't fade.

I definitely jumped on that train, don't have any regrets on OTR safari jackets. A cream and pale green one have worked pretty great for me. Going for electric blue was my problem.
I warned you!
Yep, for sure. I'm glad I didn't go for an emerald green suit and mostly listened on the Bal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads