• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting. I used to do that obsessive digging through rap album samples and going backwards to find older music and other genres.

I stopped doing that in my early 20's, which wasn't that long ago, and the search just no longer interests me. Feels like a waste of time these days.

Feel the same way. I find time is now better spent researching about tailored clothing for 18 months, finding the truth about style online through reasoned methods of argumentation, and commissioning custom clothes that make people ask why I'm so dressed up.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feel the same way. I find time is now better spent researching about tailored clothing for 18 months, finding the truth about style online through reasoned methods of argumentation, and commissioning custom clothes that make people ask why I'm so dressed up.
relevant
tenor.gif

My most worn clothing item is probably a field jacket from The Gap. My Bal was also amusingly mentally in the works for a couple years now.

On a slightly less memey note, my favourite part is due to the fit and silhouette, it doesn't matter how fat or thin I get anymore!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was also a discussion some days ago about cologne.

I went from designer fragrances, to niche ones, to real oud oils, and now back to designer if/when I remember to put on a scent.

I distinctly recall my dad telling me I smell like goat **** with the oud. Apparently he used to shovel it back in the day.

Now everyone has a scent allergy with signs everywhere, so RIP to that hobby. I still occasionally wear it at home.

The niche and oud scents are still cool to me, but not particularly wearable or socially acceptable IMO.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was also a discussion some days ago about cologne.

I went from designer fragrances, to niche ones, to real oud oils, and now back to designer if/when I remember to put on a scent.

My son, you have returned to the light. I am very proud.

abkain

Reaction score
My impression is that different people have different relationships with music. When I was growing up, most people also didn't have the inclination or interest to research bands and musicians like this. Like, in the way you described, where you'd follow through a series of inspiration points. I think the only people who did that kind of thing were hardcore music obsessives.

I did the same thing when I was in high school. For a time, I used to buy mixtapes from Japan (well, they were mixed and made in Japan, and then sold at small boutique record shops in the US). Those tapes featured the original tracks that were sampled in various popular songs. So if you heard a song on the radio, it was often cobbled together through a series of samples. Then some DJ, often Japanese, although not always, would make a mixtape of all those original records. That was how I discovered jazz, blues, old R&B, and lots of soul music.

I loved that stuff at the time, and still do. But most people outside of my small group of friends had little interest, even if they thought old records were cool. I also think there was a cultural and social dimension to it. I got into stuff and then was reinforced through my friends, who were also into this stuff. And I found you could gain a bit of cultural capital from knowing about something. Like being able to talk about old records or whatever. If you're not in that social group or don't care about that specific form of social/ cultural capital, you are probably not going to put in the work to find those old records.

I'm sometimes surprised by how easy it is now to find old sources and B-sides. I used to spend so much of my time digging through old records. Now it's in the "suggestions" list on Spotify or YouTube.

DJ Muro!!

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the better things (for me) to come out of COVID is the DJ sets being streamed on Twitch. Yes, it's not the same as seeing people live, but I have been able to see a lot of DJ's who aren't local and see some fo my favorite DJ's way more often than I would in real life. Producers have been doing live beat creation or review of beats etc.

slows2k

Reaction score
To add to the balmacaan talk, I just saw this one from Document that is a little different:

DSC_0200_9bdcad56-42b2-48ed-aff1-024d9647b634.jpg

The chest pocket isn't for me but isn't a big deal. if the material is anything like the robe coat from them I had a couple years back it will be incredibly comfy, like a big blanket.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to the balmacaan talk, I just saw this one from Document that is a little different:

View attachment 1503850

The chest pocket isn't for me but isn't a big deal. if the material is anything like the robe coat from them I had a couple years back it will be incredibly comfy, like a big blanket.
I'm already getting ideas of a navy melton or duffel cloth Bal after seeing this and the Kaptain Sunshine Traveller's Coat.

I wonder if slapping a bunch of unnecessary pockets on a Bal like Kapital does with their jackets would look awesome or horrendous.

I normally dislike ticket pockets, but it looks great on the Traveller's Coat, it suits a Bal's "anti-fit" vibes.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any ones you've been wearing lately? I've been returning to Hermes' Ambre Narguile due to cozy vibes and good memories I get from it.

In the past few days not really, as I've been too busy with work at home. But Chanel's Coromandel otherwise.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Are you looking at any pajamas this winter? What in your experience is good fabric or weight to wear without any undershirt for warmth?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads