• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Trunk Clothiers five pocket cords look really good, a shame they're already sold out in most sizes. Anyone tried them?

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I'm making up a bullshit excuse to basically want both types of coats. The left one comes across as more contemporary, and with the details seems more like a topcoat. The far right seems more like an overcoat.

On the topic of overcoats, I like SEH Kelly's iteration on the Chesterfield, they recently increased the length and it looks much better. If only it was in a more casual fabric.

chesterfield-merino-hopsack-midnight-blue-1@2x.jpg

I confess that I don’t get balmacaans with dressier features / cut / fabrics. To me that shoulder shape shouts for tweed, corduroy, chunky jumpers, etc.; not worsted and poplin.

kaizerpi

Reaction score
Alright hear me out but how are sweet tarts or Nerdz not on the power rankings of best Halloween candy?!
At the risk of rehashing the same subjects but I assume Bals are like macs and just look better when unbuttoned?

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
I've seen gorges across the board are getting lower again.

Low gorges don't make much sense to me insofar as the concept that a (but obviously not the only) purpose of a jacket being to accentuate the generally desirable parts of the male body is concerned (eg height, width in shoulders, large chest, narrow waist, etc)

The S&M MTO example posted above gives me the impression that the low gorge makes the shoulders look substantially more narrow and also decreases the perceived distance between the wearer's shoulders and the button where the jacket is fastened (and thus decreasing the wearer's perceived height). Now if there was a guy that didn't those traits then sure I don't see a problem with low gorges, and obviously clothing isn't worn solely for the purpose of improving the perceived proportions of the wearer's body and the more important part of clothing is that it suits a person's idiosyncrasies/preferences

but still...

tl;dr I think low gorges make a person's proportions look worse ceteris paribus

jtwo

Reaction score
Thoughts on going bespoke for a balmacaan? I assume that there isn't much of a point since its meant to fit very loose, but interested to see what other people think.

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on going bespoke for a balmacaan? I assume that there isn't much of a point since its meant to fit very loose, but interested to see what other people think.
Maybe if you're extremely particular for certain things it would be worth it, but I think money for bespoke would probably be spent better on other projects that benefit from a precise fit.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but when I talked to the guys at the Drake's booth in January (where I saw their balmacaans) they were very proud of the collar vs earlier iterations. This one stands proud when popped.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I confess that I don’t get balmacaans with dressier features / cut / fabrics. To me that shoulder shape shouts for tweed, corduroy, chunky jumpers, etc.; not worsted and poplin.
Hmm, not sure which picture is being referenced.

The earlier Bal's were a rustic blackwatch plaid and a tweed PoW check.

The post being responded to is a chesterfield coat with raglan shoulders.

Do you mean you find raglan shoulders out of place on that coat overall?

I do prefer their last year's fabric, "bedford cord"

chesterfield-woollen-bedford-cord-imperial-blue-1@2x.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alright hear me out but how are sweet tarts or Nerdz not on the power rankings of best Halloween candy?!
At the risk of rehashing the same subjects but I assume Bals are like macs and just look better when unbuttoned?

Nerdz are on there, but you have to scroll down on the list and not the whole page. The layout is a big weird since it's not immediately obvious the list is scrollable.

I don't see Sweet Tarts, but agree those should have been high up there. I'd put them above Nerdz.

I feel like Nerdz is the tipping point on this list. Anything above is good. Anything below is meh.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 10.19.50 AM.png

Also think bal coats mostly look better open. But obviously, if it's cold, you can always fasten it

On the subject of Shetlands, my pal’s shop, All Blues Co stocks Harley in just about every colour imaginable in crew neck, roll neck and cardigan, including a few special makeups.

Order through insta: https://instagram.com/allbluesco?igshid=s9br4k6ecdwq

You know the guy behind that store? I love that shop (although only know it online). I called that shop once to ask the owner some questions and he was super nice.

Agree there's less benefit in getting a bespoke bal given the very loose fit.

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried that Permanent Style bal? Looks pretty good.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads