• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
New poster here but longtime follower of DWW. Does anyone have any ideas for a balmacaan? I know Derek has been on the hunt for a while. Drake's offerings this season are OK but I'd like something in a warmer color and a roomier cut. ALD and RL have potentially better cuts (haven't looked too closely) but I'm not interested in patchwork. I don't even know if/when Camoshita is going to release more winter clothing...

There are loads of options.

1) The best ones I have seen (at least in pictures) this season--and in quite some time for that matter--are from Andrea Seoul. They are made up by Ring Jacket and seem to get the details right. Here are some pictures of their models: 1, 2, 3, 4. They have more fabrics, but I think these ones look the nicest.

2) Permanent Style has a balmacaan made by Private White VC

3) Simon Crompton and Douglas Cordeaux both have a balmacaan from Cordings. This one is in a different fabric, but I think they get the details right and the price is certainly attractive. Here are some pictures of it, albeit in a different fabric: 1, 2, 3, 4.

4) Ben Silver has this one. I think it's made by Chrysalis. As I note below, I think the reversible coats can be hard to put on and many of the reversible Chrysalis ones I have seen have looked a bit less substantial than I would like.

5) O'Connell's has a number of balmacaans: 1, 2, 3, plus a number from Chrysalis. The fabrics on the first 3 look particularly nice.

6) The Armoury has this one from Coherence in a couple colors, though it is much more expensive than the other models I have linked to.

7) Tweed in Stockholm has this one from Chrysalis. The details--the fabric, belt, and patch pockets--make it a bit more interesting.

8) There are the two that Drake's has this season: 1, 2.

I have seen other models this season, but these are the ones that look best to me.

My own balmacaan is a vintage Paul Stuart piece. It's reversible: raincoat/cotton twill on one side and Donegal on the other. I have been thinking about getting the raincoat side lined, though, to make it easier to slip on. Chrysalis makes something similar, but their tweed seems much less substantial. I also have a belted balmacaan that I bought new, but I am not as much a fan of it: it is less substantial, the details aren't as good, and I think the belted thing looks better in pics than in person.

Last edited:

Dadacantona

Reaction score
I have the Cordings model from last year, on which the Donegal fleck is a bit more subtle. It’s a great coat and I don’t think there’s anything as good at that price. The cut is just right IMO.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) The best ones I have seen (at least in pictures) this season--and in quite some time for that matter--are from Andrea Seoul. They are made up by Ring Jacket and seem to get the details right. Here are some pictures of their models: 1, 2, 3, 4. They have more fabrics, but I think these ones look the nicest.

3) Simon Crompton and Douglas Cordeaux both have a balmacaan from Cordings. This one is in a different fabric, but I think they get the details right and the price is certainly attractive. Here are some pictures of it, albeit in a different fabric: 1, 2, 3, 4.

4) Ben Silver has this one. I think it's made by Chrysalis. As I note below, I think the reversible coats can be hard to put on and many of the reversible Chrysalis ones I have seen have looked a bit less substantial than I would like.

5) O'Connell's has a number of balmacaans: 1, 2, 3, plus a number from Chrysalis. The fabrics on the first 3 look particularly nice.

6) The Armoury has this one from Coherence in a couple colors, though it is much more expensive than the other models I have linked to.

7) Tweed in Stockholm has this one from Chrysalis. The details--the fabric, belt, and patch pockets--make it a bit more interesting.

I have seen other models this season, but these are the ones that look best to me.

My own balmacaan is a vintage Paul Stuart piece. It's reversible: raincoat/cotton twill on one side and Donegal on the other. I have been thinking about getting the raincoat side lined, though, to make it easier to slip on. Chrysalis makes something similar, but their tweed seems much less substantial. I also have a belted balmacaan that I bought new, but I am not as much a fan of it: it is less substantial, the details aren't as good, and I think the belted thing looks better in pics than in person.
To add

9) This one looks great, minus the cotton lining. I e-mailed and they said the fabric is 600g.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Najnar - I should have also asked, what are you looking to wear with the Balmacaan. I think some are more CM and others can be dressed down.

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wow, those Andrea Seoul ones do look nice! Seems like it'd be hard to order though. In any case, thanks a lot for these ideas!

@Najnar - I should have also asked, what are you looking to wear with the Balmacaan. I think some are more CM and others can be dressed down.

I'd probably wear it with autumnal clothes like cords, shetland sweaters, etc. Still want it roomy enough to throw over tailoring though. So a roomy fit. Ideally a sturdy cloth that at least hits the knee in length - I live in Chicago and these winds can be rough, even in the fall.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Wow, those Andrea Seoul ones do look nice! Seems like it'd be hard to order though. In any case, thanks a lot for these ideas!

I'd probably wear it with autumnal clothes like cords, shetland sweaters, etc. Still want it roomy enough to throw over tailoring though. So a roomy fit. Ideally a sturdy cloth that at least hits the knee in length - I live in Chicago and these winds can be rough, even in the fall.

Menswear is all about ordering things from websites in other languages.

As someone who lived in Chicago for a time, I just thought I'd let you know that the balmacaan will be more helpful in the fall and spring than in the winter if you're spending considerable time outside.

kaizerpi

Reaction score

Damn you Derek. I didn't need another excuse to get more knitwear. Now I have my eyes on an unnecessary sweatshirt, shaggy Jamieson's sweater, and chamula flag sweater...and somehow justifying it. "See honey, it was on Put This On"

Question for the group though, do you ever feel self-conscious wearing a college-branded sweatshirt (even if you do have an affiliation there)? Somehow I always get flashbacks to the 30rock episode about the one writer who went to 'Hah-vahd'

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Question for the group though, do you ever feel self-conscious wearing a college-branded sweatshirt (even if you do have an affiliation there)? Somehow I always get flashbacks to the 30rock episode about the one writer who went to 'Hah-vahd'

I used to think that wearing college merch is kind of corny, but I've changed my mind as I've gotten older and look back fondly on my college days. I think college merch can be nice, so long as you can find good college merch (the things sold in campus shops are usually terrible). I also suspect that no one cares if you're wearing something. If you went to a prestigious school and name drop all the time, then your sweatshirt or whatever will probably reinforce people's negative view of you. But if you're just a normal person and wear a college-branded sweatshirt, I think it's fine. How many times has anyone actually judged another person for wearing a college sweatshirt?

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i see a lot of people in yale sweatshirts and they always look like gentrifying dweebs, but princess diana looked cool in her harvard and northwestern sweatshirts

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to think that wearing college merch is kind of corny, but I've changed my mind as I've gotten older and look back fondly on my college days. I think college merch can be nice, so long as you can find good college merch (the things sold in campus shops are usually terrible). I also suspect that no one cares if you're wearing something. If you went to a prestigious school and name drop all the time, then your sweatshirt or whatever will probably reinforce people's negative view of you. But if you're just a normal person and wear a college-branded sweatshirt, I think it's fine. How many times has anyone actually judged another person for wearing a college sweatshirt?
I judge people all the time when I see someone wearing a University of Texas sweatshirt.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

Why belted balmacaans look bad, exhibit A:

1604026610267.png

I think that side silhouette is awful. I think the solution is to tie the belt loosely so it does not indent so much, leave the coat open, or just take the belt off. Otherwise, the coat and the fabric look very nice.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

Damn you Derek. I didn't need another excuse to get more knitwear. Now I have my eyes on an unnecessary sweatshirt, shaggy Jamieson's sweater, and chamula flag sweater...and somehow justifying it. "See honey, it was on Put This On"

I think a lot depends on what connotations the college has, no?

Edit: And if you are fine associating/identifying with those connotations.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why belted balmacaans look bad, exhibit A:

View attachment 1487048

I think that side silhouette is awful. I think the solution is to tie the belt loosely so it does not indent so much, leave the coat open, or just take the belt off. Otherwise, the coat and the fabric look very nice.
The cut matters too I think, and is why I favour less baggy Balmacaans for belts. Also how tightly you belt it, as you mentioned.

The front of that coat has a flared skirt.
Manteau-Raglan-droit-me%CC%81lange-bleu-canard-1-scaled.jpg

Compare that to this
f0b9d47f7dd459fc3d46530939f00210.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads