• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not quite the same, but I am a big fan of Taylor Stitch's Camp Pant, having gotten a pair in moleskin last year. They have a few corduroy options this season.
I have their new cords in navy and quite like them. Really soft right out of the bag.

vida

Reaction score
Derek,

Not sure if this is the appropriate place - do you have any recommendations for 5-pocket cords?

With WFH, I am putting more of my wardrobe budget into casual items, and while there is plenty of discussion on denim I haven't found many places that talk about non-denim casual trousers...I have been wearing J Crew 770s for the past couple of years, but they always wear through in a 1-2 years and I'm trying to buy better/buy less often with my wardrobe these days
Sid Mashburn.

abkain

Reaction score
I've been looking for a new pair myself. The ones that come to my mind have already been mentioned -- Sid Mashburn, Todd Snyder, Whythe, and J. Crew. As K. Nights noted, the Todd Snyder ones look very slim, which is what prevented me from ordering. I have a pair from Ralph Lauren's Polo line that I like. They make a bunch every season (with and without the pony logo). I think mine was like $80. They're kind of a slim-straight cut that's comparable to 3sixteen's SL-100x. But I don't know the name of the model or if they still make them in this cut. I bought mine about five years ago.
Dunhill had a nice black cord trouser last season (on Mr. Porter at least). A little slim and a touch lower rise than I prefer but they definitely feel plush and not too skinny.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't, but Reggie Casual is a YouTuber who covers Japanese fashion. He has a video about them. The brand seems cool.

That was my ski wear back in the day...
Is he pronouncing that right?
I always thought it was day-sahnt.
Maybe it was my error all these years.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That was my ski wear back in the day...
Is he pronouncing that right?
I always thought it was day-sahnt.
Maybe it was my error all these years.

Yea, I believe it's day-sahnte. I assume most English speakers will just say Descent though.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's favourite mid-layer (outerwear) jackets?

I could never get into most chore coats, have lived off of various coloured safari and field jackets. I don't like the Valstar type bombers either.

With that said, I've always wanted one of those Blue Blue Japan patchwork chore coats.

Was thinking of buying a navy cord trucker jacket more realistically.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Descente Allterrain - specifically the down jackets? Any thoughts on similar brands?

I don't have a down jacket, but I do have a Descente Gore-Tex jacket with a zip-in Polartec liner than I bought in Tokyo in 1995.

Twenty-five years later, it's still going strong and I still wear it every winter. So I'd happily recommend Descente, based on my experience.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Did you cover this already? YTD what has your reporting told you about laundering clothes during a pandemic? Are people taking their suits to the dry cleaner now? Are knits being washed more often than before? I always wash cold as I was under the impression and through experience that it helped preserve size and color of garments. To err of the safe side, washing everything in hot water nowadays seems to be common.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Did you cover this already? YTD what has your reporting told you about laundering clothes during a pandemic? Are people taking their suits to the dry cleaner now? Are knits being washed more often than before? I always wash cold as I was under the impression and through experience that it helped preserve size and color of garments. To err of the safe side, washing everything in hot water nowadays seems to be common.

Do you mean if you normally rely on laundromats? Or do you mean cleaning suits, sport coats, and knitwear more often?

I can't imagine people are cleaning their "outside" clothes more often, as most people are staying home more. If you have a laundry machine at home, I imagine things are the same. Tailored clothes and knitwear doesn't have to be cleaned often, so you just launder cotton items.

If you don't have a laundry machine at home, I wrote this at the beginning of the lockdown. This was when people weren't sure how the virus was transmitted and I got some emails about what to do if you're not comfortable going to the laundromat.

The NYT also published something.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was more curious in general, for example, temperature will start cooling in the Bay Area. I will probably grab a knit when I go out to get groceries. Where before I don't typically launder the garment as frequently, in pandemic is the expectation to wash after use immediately? Certainly, there is some part of the larger demographic that is still going about normal life, adhering to social distancing and such. Subsequently, I can imagine their dress has not changed a whole lot.

Members here probably have enough suits and other tailored clothing to rotate through.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Descente Allterrain - specifically the down jackets? Any thoughts on similar brands?
I've bought them before in Tokyo. The stores are incredible and well worth visiting when you are in Japan. I would say its a mixture of Burton AK, All-Birds and Mackintosh in a good way. Technical, modern but timeless.

Quality is excellent too, far better than Moncler etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads