• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

JJ Katz

Reaction score
It was an OK book but unnecessarily long-winded and, yes, pictures would have helped.

As for “right wing nut job”, half the posters on SF seem to be Pelosiland Flakes so... ?

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I think I’ve previously read your poor opinion of that short and unstructured Boglioli blazer look, and I generally concur. While I have a few shorter sport coats, I've tended towards longer, more substantial, structured jackets for the last few years. That said, I have picked up a few shorter jackets in recent months--jackets like Epaulet's Sinclair or 18E's Osman. I really like the fabric of a Boglioli K-jacket currently on sale, but have held off on purchasing because the fabric seems like it would suit a jacket with a fuller cut than, for instance, the Sinclair. I've also never tried a Boglioli jacket on, but this one is certainly cut characteristically short: about 29" in length.

The reason I'm coming to you, then, is because you seem to share my preference for longer and more structured jackets. So, I was wondering whether you have any examples of the Boglioli look done well. I'm trying to ascertain whether it has a place in my wardrobe before spending the $400 or so on a final sale item. The examples I've seen typically seem to look better off models than on them, and the pictures provided by the retailer don't include any pics on a model. Many thanks!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I think I’ve previously read your poor opinion of that short and unstructured Boglioli blazer look, and I generally concur. While I have a few shorter sport coats, I've tended towards longer, more substantial, structured jackets for the last few years. That said, I have picked up a few shorter jackets in recent months--jackets like Epaulet's Sinclair or 18E's Osman. I really like the fabric of a Boglioli K-jacket currently on sale, but have held off on purchasing because the fabric seems like it would suit a jacket with a fuller cut than, for instance, the Sinclair. I've also never tried a Boglioli jacket on, but this one is certainly cut characteristically short: about 29" in length.

The reason I'm coming to you, then, is because you seem to share my preference for longer and more structured jackets. So, I was wondering whether you have any examples of the Boglioli look done well. I'm trying to ascertain whether it has a place in my wardrobe before spending the $400 or so on a final sale item. The examples I've seen typically seem to look better off models than on them, and the pictures provided by the retailer don't include any pics on a model. Many thanks!

I think shorter jackets can work if you're going for a very casual outfit. It also helps to have the right body type (probably better on someone with broader shoulders, even if they have a slim frame). This is Teger in a knitted Barena jacket.

tumblr_mzbp1pISEQ1qa2j8co1_500.jpg

I think the further you stray from "classic rules," the more you just have to find what works for you. The nice thing about classic tailoring is that it sticks to a template for the male silhouette. If you get a jacket that's classic in proportions and has just a bit of structure, then you can get a silhouette that's very flattering across a wide range of body types. You can get something that's a V-shaped torso and proportional legs. In classic Western aesthetics, the idealized male body type is basically this sort of figure.

That's not the only way to look good, but as you stray out from that model, I think you just have to find what works for you. Not everyone is going to look as good as Teger in that same jacket. Whereas, you can generally stick different people in that classic tailoring model, and they'll almost always look good.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think shorter jackets can work if you're going for a very casual outfit. It also helps to have the right body type (probably better on someone with broader shoulders, even if they have a slim frame). This is Teger in a knitted Barena jacket.

View attachment 1438398

I think the further you stray from "classic rules," the more you just have to find what works for you. The nice thing about classic tailoring is that it sticks to a template for the male silhouette. If you get a jacket that's classic in proportions and has just a bit of structure, then you can get a silhouette that's very flattering across a wide range of body types. You can get something that's a V-shaped torso and proportional legs. In classic Western aesthetics, the idealized male body type is basically this sort of figure.

That's not the only way to look good, but as you stray out from that model, I think you just have to find what works for you. Not everyone is going to look as good as Teger in that same jacket. Whereas, you can generally stick different people in that classic tailoring model, and they'll almost always look good.

Though the only thing that matters is real life people's opinions.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you have photos of you wearing Epaulet's 'Sinclair?' Did you just get the jacket or the suit? I'm interested in it and am curious to see different ways to wear it

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have photos of you wearing Epaulet's 'Sinclair?' Did you just get the jacket or the suit? I'm interested in it and am curious to see different ways to wear it
I just got a new Sinclair in to try out the length, actually. The full jungle poplin suit was on sale in my size, so thought it was a good time to try this out. Again, shorter and less structured than I'd usually go for in the jacket, and lower rise + less full top block than I'd want in the pant, but I do like this a lot as a casual spring/summer thing.

I threw it on over the shirt I was wearing, so not necessarily an example of how I intend to style this, but at least gives a sense of how this fits. Especially as I think I'm pretty close to you in the sizes I take. This is a 42 jacket and 35 pants.
IMG_9950.JPG

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's happening, I'm craving some sandals lately.

Loafers are such a pain ********** to get sizing right in comparison.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Well, it's happening, I'm craving some sandals lately.

Loafers are such a pain ********** to get sizing right in comparison.

Huaraches are where it's at. A bit more stylish than sandals but still have that "ease". These guys do a great job:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huaraches are where it's at. A bit more stylish than sandals but still have that "ease". These guys do a great job:

Those look pretty nice.

I was thinking of buying these, but they're all sold out on the Birkenstock website.

40093.jpg

Do you own those shoes or other Huaraches? I wonder how comfortable they are.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely can’t get behind any of these sandals. What I think is the worst are mules. Dislike them on women, can’t stand them on men.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads