• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
In reference to the satirical article about the cheapskate sales shopper complaining about business failures, something that may have gone ignored (though it’s hard to say in amongst the 90-notification shouting match to which I awoke) is the fact that people who shop in the sales aren’t necessarily temporarily embarrassed MSRP payers. They’re brand new customers who may simply not exist in the absence of sales.

I’m a cheapskate, there’s no doubt about it. Almost all of my clothes are vintage from eBay or found in seasonal sales, and while I walk around decked out in Brioni, Hartwood and Charvet like a big shot it’s all an act, because I consider $100 for a blazer a bit steep, and I’m sitting here in $3 boxer shorts I picked up from a Korean supermarket :) As long as the option exists to dress well on a budget I’ll take that option, but if that option were ever removed I’d revert to just... y’know, not dressing well. There’s nothing any business could do to convert me from a sales shopper to someone who walks into a high end store and pays full price.

Long story short, when Brooks Brothers runs a sale to get rid of an overstock of last season’s OCBDs that’s the only reason I’d ever walk into one of their stores. If the sale didn’t occur I’d be down the street in a branch of the Gap, glumly tolerating their cheaper wares. I don’t know enough about profit margins to know if stores gain any real benefit from sale items, but the reality is that it’s that or nothing. As long as the store prices their sale items to at least break even I'm not imposing a cost on that business.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the people advocating buying at full price, I'm curious if you buy cars, watches, jewelry at MSRP without negotiating.

jalebi

Reaction score
For the people advocating buying at full price, I'm curious if you buy cars, watches, jewelry at MSRP without negotiating.

I'd love to be able to pay MSRP for a sports Rolex model!

Besides extremely supply limited watches, I don't think I've paid MSRP for a watch in years and years. Likewise besides a Valstarino and a couple of PWVC outerwear pieces I don't think I've paid MSRP for clothing items more than £500ish.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If only. In this case people just refused to pay MSRP as most likely the items are deemed overpriced then the seller decided to offer sale prices. If the buyers agree then they pay cash up front prior to delivery. In this age where suppliers are being withheld payments I think they should be grateful.

PS: When the buyers try to resell online they get negotiated by low ballers :(

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love to be able to pay MSRP for a sports Rolex model!

Besides extremely supply limited watches, I don't think I've paid MSRP for a watch in years and years. Likewise besides a Valstarino and a couple of PWVC outerwear pieces I don't think I've paid MSRP for clothing items more than £500ish.

Unlike watches with clothes you get the option of getting the clones which cost 25% of the original stuffs. I've also bespoked an actual replica of a sold out cotton Eidos longcoat with much better fabric for half as much. And unlike watches and cars with CM there isn't a logo outside.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one is advocating buying full price all the time. I buy stuff on sale and eBay fairly often but every now and then I pay full price because I feel a particular item is worth it.

Real questions, because I’m curious: considering what you actually NEED for work, lounging around the house, etc, who here is so broke (not frugal; I mean literally poor) that they can’t spend $500-1500 on clothes? And then, would you rather buy one nice thing, or many less-nice things? Would this change if you made more money but the same finite closet space?

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one is advocating buying full price all the time. I buy stuff on sale and eBay fairly often but every now and then I pay full price because I feel a particular item is worth it.

Real questions, because I’m curious: considering what you actually NEED for work, lounging around the house, etc, who here is so broke (not frugal; I mean literally poor) that they can’t spend $500-1500 on clothes? And then, would you rather buy one nice thing, or many less-nice things? Would this change if you made more money but the same finite closet space?
Kind of on a similar note, I'm really starting to warm to the idea of buying nice things full price specifically to clear out my budget and keep life simple. One sweater from Stoffa, purchased when I want it, in the exact size and color I want, and then done sweater shopping for the season. Otherwise I wind up with eight sweaters, four of which I will seldom wear and four of which were probably a compromise of some kind.

StyFo has taught me this not through "buy less, buy better" mantras, but through affiliate threads and sales threads. Sale in March: "I had to go with [insert product], especially at that price!" B-S-T thread in August: "FS: NWT [insert item] asking [30% lower than sale price]."

If I found myself unwilling to pay full price for anything, under any circumstances, at a retailer I would strongly question my interest in the brand. It would seem to me that I don't trust them and that I must really not like their product all that much. If I'm going to game the system and wait, and prod, and query about a sale, maybe I am just better off forgetting the item entirely.

pblzqlcn

Reaction score

500-1500 per month? per year?
as a reference of poverty the minimum wage in my country is less than USD 200

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I now keep a running list of items that I want to buy. I usually wait a couple months before buying, especially to gather a bit more funds first, and make sure I actually want an item.

Lo and behold, I couldn't say no to the recent sales on basically ALL of the items I planned to buy, even if it was sooner than I'd have wanted.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of on a similar note, I'm really starting to warm to the idea of buying nice things full price specifically to clear out my budget and keep life simple. One sweater from Stoffa, purchased when I want it, in the exact size and color I want, and then done sweater shopping for the season. Otherwise I wind up with eight sweaters, four of which I will seldom wear and four of which were probably a compromise of some kind.

StyFo has taught me this not through "buy less, buy better" mantras, but through affiliate threads and sales threads. Sale in March: "I had to go with [insert product], especially at that price!" B-S-T thread in August: "FS: NWT [insert item] asking [30% lower than sale price]."

If I found myself unwilling to pay full price for anything, under any circumstances, at a retailer I would strongly question my interest in the brand. It would seem to me that I don't trust them and that I must really not like their product all that much. If I'm going to game the system and wait, and prod, and query about a sale, maybe I am just better off forgetting the item entirely.

Buying full price is perfectly fine. Doesn't matter whether it's MSRP or sale price everyone can gauge their own opinion on the fair price of an item. However as a businessman I'm trained to save money whenever I can. I just don't like feeling stupid for paying full when everyone else pays 50% off.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However as a businessman I'm trained to save money whenever I can.

That's an unfortunately narrow (and caustic) perspective. Should my business give back to the community? Nope, I save money by not doing that! Should my business provide robust salaries and benefits for its employees? Nope, I save money with each cut I make to my employees salaries and benefits! Should my business provide sincere customer service? Nope, saving money is the absolute priority!

A good business person recognizes every action has associated costs and benefits and balances the costs and benefits of each action to achieve the company objectives. Prioritizing saving money in every instance is nothing more than poor decision-making.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love how we're sitting here discussing sales practices when the real problem is private equity firms buying brands and overleveraging them so much that they can't survive market downturns.

But yeah, blame the 28-year-olds who only shop sales instead of the predatory rich dudes swooping in to line their pockets.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love how we're sitting here discussing sales practices when the real problem is private equity firms buying brands and overleveraging them so much that they can't survive market downturns.

But yeah, blame the 28-year-olds who only shop sales instead of the predatory rich dudes swooping in to line their pockets.

Which private equity firm bought A Suitable Wardrobe? Unionmade? The Archive?

When ASW closed, everyone mourned its passing. But no one who valued ASW actually bought from Will's store. Businesses need to survive. You can always find things for a little cheaper or wait until it goes on sale. But when the company closes, no one makes a connection between this and sales shopping. Nothing wrong with sales shopping, but then you can't be surprised or sad when the company no longer delivers what you want.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dangerous to start talking about what we need though, isn't it? Nobody *needs* a bespoke suit, or a pair of $400 trousers or $500 shoes. I've worked with multi-millionaires who barely spent $1500 a decade on clothes and nobody batted an eye.

To answer your question, though, I certainly would prefer to opt for fewer, high quality items. But at the same time, I am not educated enough to really have concrete preferences for manufacturers (at this point). I don't know enough to understand why a gun check sport coat from NMWA costs 3x what a similar looking sport coat costs from Spier & Mackay (I'm learning, but I'm not there yet). So for me, it would be absolutely silly to buy the higher cost item. A cotton workshirt from RRL doesn't get me excited at $199, but when it's on sale for $99 it's worth checking out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads