• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This piece reminds me about an incident I ones witnessed at an Airport security.

A guy placed his sun glasses directly on the conveyor belt. A security guard picked them up and placed them in a suitable box. The man then started yelling at the security guard for touching his 300 dollar glasses. And he made sure to mention their price in every sentence. The guard tried to explain that the glasses would have been broken if he had not put them in a box.

So dont buy stuff thats so expensive that you cant afford to use/loose/break it.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ahtynes

Reaction score
I haven't really been listening to podcasts since there's no commute during COVID, but it's tough to pass up half an hour of Bruce Boyer and Derek (among others) talking about suits.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear was the shorts article basically the "how to dress for summer when it's too hot" for this year?

or will there be more coming? I'm a walking pile of swamp ass past 80F.

what shoes work with shorts? even brown suede tassel loafers look a little too formal.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear was the shorts article basically the "how to dress for summer when it's too hot" for this year?

or will there be more coming? I'm a walking pile of swamp ass past 80F.

what shoes work with shorts? even brown suede tassel loafers look a little too formal.

I can try to do another post on that this summer. I feel like it's been slightly difficult to come up with relevant topics since so many people are staying home, but how to dress for extremely warm conditions is always topical, I think.

FWIW, I have an old post at PTO here offering some ideas

Regarding shorts, I wear huaraches, Vans slip-ons, camp mocs, and certain sneakers (mostly retro-styled runners).

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 4.22.38 PM.png

Above are Yuketen's huaraches. These have a chunky sole, but you can get ones that have a thinner sole. Here's a post on huaraches in general:

engineered-garments-vans-vault-x-engineered-garmen.jpg

These are Engineered Garments x Vans slip-ons. I don't know if these are still available anymore, but I got mine from Nepenthes in NYC. They're kind of funky in that they have mismatched uppers. If you get them, people will constantly remind you that your shoes are mismatched. Vans also offers regular matched slip-ons in various colors. Vans Authentics are also good with shorts, I think.

tumblr_mly0w7SMv31qa2j8co2_r1_1280.jpg

Camp mocs are available through Quoddy, Rancourt, Russell Moccasin, Oak Street Bootmakers, and others.

tumblr_inline_oclvb7ls1f1qhaans_540.jpg

And finally a guide to retro runners. Lately, I've been wearing Victory Sportswear with shorts.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can try to do another post on that this summer. I feel like it's been slightly difficult to come up with relevant topics since so many people are staying home, but how to dress for extremely warm conditions is always topical, I think.

FWIW, I have an old post at PTO here offering some ideas

Regarding shorts, I wear huaraches, Vans slip-ons, camp mocs, and certain sneakers (mostly retro-styled runners).

View attachment 1395839
Above are Yuketen's huaraches. These have a chunky sole, but you can get ones that have a thinner sole. Here's a post on huaraches in general:

View attachment 1395840

These are Engineered Garments x Vans slip-ons. I don't know if these are still available anymore, but I got mine from Nepenthes in NYC. They're kind of funky in that they have mismatched uppers. If you get them, people will constantly remind you that your shoes are mismatched. Vans also offers regular matched slip-ons in various colors. Vans Authentics are also good with shorts, I think.

View attachment 1395842

Camp mocs are available through Quoddy, Rancourt, Russell Moccasin, Oak Street Bootmakers, and others.

View attachment 1395843

And finally a guide to retro runners. Lately, I've been wearing Victory Sportswear with shorts.

Thanks man, camp mocs and retro runners sound up my alley.

I haven't heard a non-Canadian call sneakers runners before, awesome.

I'll bookmark that article.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Great suggestions @dieworkwear . I've been mulling a pair of 'Jesus sandals' but instead I think I'll hunt down a pair of huaraches. I've seen them for sale around the Mission often enough.

Oldsrocket27

Reaction score
I personally can't jive with the idea that men's legs are just inherently ugly and deserving of shame and coverings. I know that's not strictly what the article is advocating, but Derek falls victim to the stuffy sentiment at times with lines like "There’s no way around it: most men look irredeemably goofy in shorts." Talking about how he'll get back to pants, but is on a shorts break works to discount the validity of shorts as a garment as reasonable for anything but vacation.

I don't disagree that shorts don't fit in in a traditional business setting, but that doesn't mean that men look bad in shorts, should be ashamed for showing their legs, or that shorts shouldn't be work outside one's own home, and that's definitely the vibe I get from the article at times.

Also, the whole bit about the Joyce brand getting their "friend" to model for them is gross. A bunch of rich motherfuckers hiding out at the family villa getting the hired help to try on their clothes comes across real slavemaster-like. "I know honey, we can get Omar from groundskeeping to wear the collection. His proportions are perfect!" Get back to me with a cute parenthetical about how Omar was justly compensated for his modeling work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads