• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But then... then a month goes by, and another, and another, and before long you begin to hate those stupid ******* things. You come to hate how boring and limiting shorts are, how they offer so few options. You hate how you look exactly the same every bloody day. You hate looking like a tourist and a child all rolled into one.
After almost a decade in the tropics I feel somewhat differently - the constraints (light fabrics, short sleeves, etc.) and smaller visual space offer much more opportunity for careful creativity, but it is hard. You can tell the tourists because they are not used to living that way all year round and default to what they think is conservative but does not have the same cultural grounding as the equivalent in temperate climes; so their tropical dress language fits in less well. On the other hand the opportunities for creativity are limitless, once you drop the carcan of Italian/American hot weather cultural tropes and allow for blending into the madness. IMHO anyway.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
After almost a decade in the tropics I feel somewhat differently - the constraints (light fabrics, short sleeves, etc.) and smaller visual space offer much more opportunity for careful creativity, but it is hard. You can tell the tourists because they are not used to living that way all year round and default to what they think is conservative but does not have the same cultural grounding as the equivalent in temperate climes; so their tropical dress language fits in less well. On the other hand the opportunities for creativity are limitless, once you drop the carcan of Italian/American hot weather cultural tropes and allow for blending into the madness. IMHO anyway.

You’re not wrong. It would probably be more accurate to say that I have neither the interest nor the body to experiment with hot weather style. When I head to Bangkok I leave all of my clothes behind save for a few pairs of shorts, a handful of t-shirts, a few too many long sleeved shirts with sleeves suitable for rolling, and some workout gear. Dressing in hot weather is, for me, a balancing act between remaining cool and hiding flaws. If my waist were two or three inches smaller I might be more interested in playing around with the possibilities, but... well, cheese exists.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same problem as above unfortunately. I should add in the original post I was looking for reasonably priced alternatives

Bronson Mfc makes some that look legit but they're out of stock in most sizes. Might be worth watching for a restock.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bronson Mfc makes some that look legit but they're out of stock in most sizes. Might be worth watching for a restock.

Cool, thanks man. Signed up for a restock alert.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't forget about the workwear brand Bob Dong

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 7.37.25 PM.png

bb6e72840bd314cc11e989eb4dd9c436.jpg

BOB-DONG-23oz-Men-s-Jeans-Red-Line-Selvage-Denim-Pants-Slim-Fit-Straight-Leg.jpg

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So @dieworkwear , if I have cruelly and inconsiderately been for years subjecting my sport coats to improperly-sized coat hangers and am only now using appropriate ones, are my jackets irreparably damaged? I have a couple jackets that are clearly stretched and probably destroyed, but they're ill-fitting cheapos I'm planning to dispose of. However, one jacket I would like to keep, and while it's not as noticeably impacted, there is some ruffling/divot in one of the lightly-padded shoulders. Was thinking I might need to have a tailor do some restructuring.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So @dieworkwear , if I have cruelly and inconsiderately been for years subjecting my sport coats to improperly-sized coat hangers and am only now using appropriate ones, are my jackets irreparably damaged? I have a couple jackets that are clearly stretched and probably destroyed, but they're ill-fitting cheapos I'm planning to dispose of. However, one jacket I would like to keep, and while it's not as noticeably impacted, there is some ruffling/divot in one of the lightly-padded shoulders. Was thinking I might need to have a tailor do some restructuring.

Your jacket may just need a good pressing. If you have someone local who can do it, try to see if they can press it back into proper shape. Otherwise, Rave FabriCARE hand presses garments. Dry cleaners will press jackets as well, but they often use a machine and don't do a good job. Depending on the cost of your coat, you may want to send it to someone more reliable, and do it when it needs to be cleaned (so you don't have to send it twice).

There's a small chance the collar may be stretched out, but I don't have direct experience with this. I've only read about it online and heard about it from tailors. I imagine if this happens, you may be able to get a good tailor to fix it for you.

Jeffery has a good post on his blog about the importance of proper hangers.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your jacket may just need a good pressing. If you have someone local who can do it, try to see if they can press it back into proper shape. Otherwise, Rave FabriCARE hand presses garments. Dry cleaners will press jackets as well, but they often use a machine and don't do a good job. Depending on the cost of your coat, you may want to send it to someone more reliable, and do it when it needs to be cleaned (so you don't have to send it twice).

I've been meaning to ask how you send your garments to Arizona. Do you have a pile of giant boxes laying around?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask how you send your garments to Arizona. Do you have a pile of giant boxes laying around?

I just ship by UPS and they package everything. I also don't clean very often (maybe just once a year?). Garments get thrown in a box and shipped off. I don't worry about packing because the garments will be pressed and shipped back in proper boxes later anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads