• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I don't usually ask this, but what do you do that brings you between these two climes?

I’m an author, though that has little to do with the nomadic lifestyle. My wife is Mongolian so we live in Ulaanbaatar much of the time, but in the winter the air pollution is atrocious as everyone burns coal to survive the -40C cold. We lived in Bangkok shortly after we met because I was barred from Mongolia for a while (long, boring story involving an admin **** up at immigration), and since we love the place and we’re not tied to work it makes sense to run away from the cold and lounge by the pool in shorts until Mongolia warms up again :)

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m an author, though that has little to do with the nomadic lifestyle. My wife is Mongolian so we live in Ulaanbaatar much of the time, but in the winter the air pollution is atrocious as everyone burns coal to survive the -40C cold. We lived in Bangkok shortly after we met because I was barred from Mongolia for a while (long, boring story involving an admin **** up at immigration), and since we love the place and we’re not tied to work it makes sense to run away from the cold and lounge by the pool in shorts until Mongolia warms up again :)

My wife and I have a similar plan, she's a Moscovite and we honeymooned in Bangkok. Just waiting for her citizenship before we get moving. I wonder how much more common this sort of thing is going to become as more and more of the economy moves online.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wife and I are beginning to look at retirement options. Bangkok is in our current top three. Just spent three weeks there in March. Great city and central to so many more cool cities.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The outfits are off putting because they look so considered while trying for the opposite. The visual narratives are all muddled.

The guy starts out the day with sport coat and tie. Or... wrinkled up button down and cargos. It’s one or the other. If cargos, maybe it’s a bit chilly so he also has on a vest. He throws on sports jacket on the way out the door. Or, and I’ve seen this done - he is in a jacket and tie with chinos, and throws the vest on the outside on the way out the door. In either case, no pocket square.

In the first, ditch the tie and pocket square, and you have a coherent story. This stuff is visual storytelling, and the stylist either hasn’t thought of that, or, uncharitably, told exactly the story of the fussy tech worker who wanted to look like a nonchallant Italian playboy, but really, was a fussy tech worker.
One of my favorite outfits in the early 00s was: tweed sport coat over skin-tight adidas track jacket/shell* and vintage surplus Swedish(?) army thermal undershirt,** w/ tight jeans and NB 574s. (It was my attempt to be hipstery.) At least there was some sort of story: hey, it's kinda cold and this dude is broke, so he borrowed his grandpa's jacket and threw it on. (Ignore that fact that I probably bought the jacket at Zara or C21.)

But in general zips under tailoring = ?

* My wife still wears the track jacket.

** That undershirt was great. I wish I could find one again. IIRC it had wide ribs and a diamond-shaped yoke.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any cheaper sources for shorts with interesting closures/ghurkha shorts?

I bought a pair from J. Peterman, and they're still not here 2 months later, so I don't recommend buying from them at all. CS has been giving me the runaround.

What Price Glory Shorts look ridiculous.

Last edited:

flashjack

Reaction score
Anyone have any sources for shorts with interesting closures/ghurkha shorts?

I bought a pair from J. Peterman, and they're still not here 2 months later, so I don't recommend buying from them at all. CS has been giving me the runaround.

Informale do a safari short you might like.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised that both J. Peterman still exists and that anyone would buy a pair of shorts for which there is only a drawing.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Informale do a safari short you might like.

Like, I do.

The price tag, I do not.

I should have added I'm not throwing $200+CAD for a pair of shorts that are a loose casual style.
I’m surprised that both J. Peterman still exists and that anyone would buy a pair of shorts for which there is only a drawing.
1589684446266.png

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any sources for shorts with interesting closures/ghurkha shorts?

Yeossal has some as MTO. They look nice to me.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeossal has some as MTO. They look nice to me.
Same problem as above unfortunately. I should add in the original post I was looking for reasonably priced alternatives.
Touché. How do you access the actual photo on the website?

What a bizarre company

Pictures are on the left column

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the gurkha waistband annoying tbh. Have two pairs of trousers w/gurkha style waistbands and in hindsight a simple extended tab with side adjusters would have been much better

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never bought anything from J. Peterman but I can't help but love a company that goes to the effort of create charming pictures of everything they sell. Most items have an actual photograph too. Looks like they haven't got around to doing one for the gurkha shorts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads