• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can't even imagine what I'd do without the internet under this quarantine. Prob have to read a book instead of the same "so you're telling me a shrimp fried this rice" meme a billion times.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d usually agree in a heartbeat, but this morning I took delivery of a dozen Eton shirts shipped from the US to my doorstep in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. If it wasn’t for the internet I’d be wearing nothing but knockoff Calvin Klein crap that fell off the back of a truck in China. It’s hard to stay mad at the internet :)
What are you doing in Ulaanbaatar?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barbanera has a RTW version of their Cash side zip boot in waxed leather.

What is the fascination some people have for side zip boots?
There are so many better alternatives - chelseas / jodhpurs / jump boots etc. Side zips just reek of the cheesy side of the seventies and we do NOT need to go there again.

Furthering my bias I was at the family house of a girl I was dating in the early nineties. Her step-dad who was a bloated alcoholic (and suspicious of abuse within the family) had left just before we arrived and there in the doorway was a pair of his discarded worn-heeled rubber soles side zip boots. He would wear them with tent like button down shirts and brown polyester semi-flares. Is this the look you people are going for?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side zips have been around since the sixties.

But that notwithstanding, I like them much more than engineer boots, chelseas, or jodhpurs.

Engineer boots are great but not as easy to take off as side zips.

Chelseas are nice but the elastic on all of mine wear out faster than a zipper breaks. Plus that pull tab always catches my pant legs whenever I get up from sitting.

Jodhpurs look cool but I am wayyyy too lazy to do all that buckling/unbuckling.

Side zip boots come in a variety of lasts, can hug close for a surefooted fit, are easy to take on/off, and there’s usually a suitable style for every taste. However, if you have a visceral deterrent to them based on a shady character in your past, I’m not sure anyone but a psychologist can help you.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But that notwithstanding, I like them much more than engineer boots, chelseas, or jodhpurs.

Chelseas are nice but the elastic on all of mine wear out faster than a zipper breaks. Plus that pull tab always catches my pant legs whenever I get up from sitting.

Side zip boots come in a variety of lasts, can hug close for a surefooted fit, are easy to take on/off, and there’s usually a suitable style for every taste. However, if you have a visceral deterrent to them based on a shady character in your past, I’m not sure anyone but a psychologist can help you.

No psychological trauma, but I don't understand the appeal of side zips, chelseas, engineer boots OR jodhpurs.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find myself obsessing over the 70s fashions of The Deuce (1st season), SNF, Elamite, our legacy and even Celine SS20.
Whether I can pull off those looks remains an open question but right now for me , in pictures at least, 70s ways bestways, right right.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barbanera has a RTW version of their Cash side zip boot in waxed leather.

worth noting the difference between “waxed calf” and “a waxy calf”

waxed calf is historically the waxed flesh (suede) side of a calfskin, originally used and still used to produce traditional equestrian style boots.

a waxy calf is a calfskin that’s been stuffed with waxy oils, like a lot of what Horweens produces, chromexcel, Dublin, all that kind of stuff

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
worth noting the difference between “waxed calf” and “a waxy calf”

waxed calf is historically the waxed flesh (suede) side of a calfskin, originally used and still used to produce traditional equestrian style boots.

a waxy calf is a calfskin that’s been stuffed with waxy oils, like a lot of what Horweens produces, chromexcel, Dublin, all that kind of stuff

Thank you for the details!

@Thin White Duke I think side zips, in the right make up, bridges a gap between the boots you mentioned. Like UrbanComposition said. No elastics, no buckles and still easy to put on. And currently I am intrigued by the possibility of a western inspired boot with out going full cowboy.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hahaha!

The temporal difference between doing up a zip or a buckle is literally measured in single digit seconds. (The stylistic difference between the two styles is orders of magnitude). If you’re “waaaaaaaay too lazy” to spend an extra second or two for the sake of style then .... well I’ve seen pics of you, I’m not buying that!

There are a few items that for whatever reason, if we’re honest we will NEVER wear them. Side zip boots are in that bag for me. Cords too. And Barbour coats. Problies a few other things if I think about it. I wonder what items other people will NEVER wear and if there’s a cogent reason behind their revulsion or if it’s just some kind of reflexive reaction.

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha!

The temporal difference between doing up a zip or a buckle is literally measured in single digit seconds. (The stylistic difference between the two styles is orders of magnitude). If you’re “waaaaaaaay too lazy” to spend an extra second or two for the sake of style then .... well I’ve seen pics of you, I’m not buying that!
I know, it sounds weird, but it’s the same reason I never got into buckled shoes of any kind. Despite the fact that I married a goth girl.

emptym

Reaction score
Imo, george boots are ideal.
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 1.27.38 PM.png

More ankle support/protection than a chukka or chelsea and much easier on/off than boots with buckles or more laces (usually just one pull and a quick tie).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads