• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Have to say, I am working from home these days, but I still take pleasure in picking out clothes for the day

I’m choosing different clothes than if I went to the office, but still like putting together combinations even though I’m sitting in my home office all day.

I’m guessing I’m becoming one of those dressed up old ladies you see out at lunch

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have to say, I am working from home these days, but I still take pleasure in picking out clothes for the day

I’m choosing different clothes than if I went to the office, but still like putting together combinations even though I’m sitting in my home office all day.

I’m guessing I’m becoming one of those dressed up old ladies you see out at lunch
I'll drink to that.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

do you have young kid plus a pet? I’m in pajama/gym clothe all day...

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing unwashed stretch jeans and old t-shirts, like a self-respecting adult.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score

I found that clothing became more important to me, not less, when I began working from home around 15 years ago, and it’s become more important still in recent weeks as events have forced us all indoors. When you don’t need to dress well and the world seems to want to push you into pyjamas you realise the value of pushing back against it.

It’s difficult to keep standards high for 15 years, of course. The appeal of tailoring quickly wears thin as the benefits of looking good at home no longer outweigh the discomfort - waist suppression and extended shoulders don’t fool my wife, because she’s seen me nekkid - but I make a point of wearing nice versions of casual clothes during the work day. Long sleeved polos with working cuffs (RL Polo and BB make very serviceable polos) take the place of a ratty t-shirt, for example.

Every day or two I make time to leave my apartment, if only for just a few minutes to pop to the shop at the foot of my building*, to remind myself that I’m capable of escaping my hermitage and pretending to be a functional member of society for a moment, and I’ll plan my clothing for these trips with the same care I’d take to dress for a date. I’ll spend some time flipping through my wardrobe and thinking about colours and textures, and maybe taking a chance on something a little unusual (if it doesn’t work only a couple of people will see it, and I can change in ten minutes). I’ll brush my shoes and occasionally give them a fresh polish, blocking out the laughter of my wife, who - understandably - finds my little rituals a little absurd. I’ll happily wear a tie to go and buy toilet paper and noodles.

*Covid-19 hasn’t yet arrived here in Mongolia and our borders are locked down tight, so my unnecessary trips outdoors are not yet irresponsible.

I suspect we’ll see a lot more of this in the coming weeks and months as going outside becomes more of an event. We’ll see a lot of people giving up and trudging out in their PJs, but many will make the effort to dress well as those opportunities become few and far between. After a few months of enforced isolation I’m looking forward to the day my friends finally beginning to understand why I like to wear a suit to the pub :)

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
I am working from home, and this will probably remain the case for the next several months. I have found it interesting how clothes can affect the way you feel, in effect, the way that you conduct your business life. There is quite a different sense, doing the same activity, between jeans and slippers and trousers and a sports jacket. I find it an interesting phenomenon.

EUtroll

Reaction score
do you have young kid plus a pet? I’m in pajama/gym clothe all day...
My situation. For video calls, I put on a shirt and button the 2nd and 3rd buttons. Used the same blue shirt the last two weeks. Otherwise in a grey uniqlo t-shirt.

kaizerpi

Reaction score
I still make an effort to change; usually corduroys, camoshita easy pants, or denim with a shirt jacket (city hunter from the armoury) and a rotating cast of casual shirts (chambray button down, uniqlo u tshirts, polos, or oxford cloth button downs); don't mind that being what the future of tailoring is like, which greg from NMWA recently posted about on their instagram.

just dressing in somethign other than my pj's helps to get me in the right state of mind and feel like i'm at work.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still putting on a collared shirt working from home. Either a polo shirt or a SS button up linen shirt. That way I don't feel like a complete slob when I fall asleep in front of my computer working during the day.

Joytropics

Reaction score
I’ve worked from home for 3 or so years now. I started getting more and more dressed up to the point of often wearing a suit and tie.

Might be corny? But it really helps me take the work seriously. Helps me set my own psychological stage. And it makes for some Zoom conversation fodder.

vida

Reaction score
I still make an effort to change; usually corduroys, camoshita easy pants, or denim with a shirt jacket (city hunter from the armoury) ; don't mind that being what the future of tailoring is like, which greg from NMWA recently posted about on their instagram.

just dressing in somethign other than my pj's helps to get me in the right state of mind and feel like i'm at work.
I disagree with Greg on this one. I believe you will see a resurgence in classic tailoring for the same reasons it had a renaissance after the Great Recession in 2008. Men will want safe, proven and reliable wardrobes. You may see neckties suffer, but the suit and certainly the blazer will reclaim their traditional status.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads