• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How has Derek influenced your guys' wardrobes?

1. I have a stack of O'Connell's shetland sweaters that get a lot of wear every fall/winter. (Wearing one today.)
2. I no longer look at clothes and think "that's me/not me" or "I can/can't pull that off" and instead think "I do/don't want to wear that."

Last edited:

Joytropics

Reaction score
I got rid of most SW&D stuff and started wearing a lot more tailoring, definitely with some inspiration from @dieworkwear.

As someone who grew up wearing Kmart sneakers and thrift store clothes, I always loved the artistry and luxury of Rick Owens, MA+ etc.

So once I started seeing some career success I bought and wore that stuff.

But I eventually had a moment of realization that none of the people I admire wear Rick Owens. They're all self-made success stories who wear suits. Rick Owens is worn by the terrible, spoiled children of the people I admire.

Then, Dieworkwear and other blogs like Permanent Style showed me how tailoring and more traditional clothes can be luxurious and artistic in their own way.

So I've sold most all of my avant/designer stuff and am trying to both act and dress like the first generation achievers that I admire.

It dawns on me that there may be no better example of this dynamic than the aspirational,trad-ish clothes of great American entrepreneur Ralph Lauren, and the arte povera rags of his rich nephew Greg Lauren.

Last edited:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got rid of most SW&D stuff and started wearing a lot more tailoring, in part thanks to @dieworkwear.

As someone who grew up wearing Kmart sneakers and thrift store clothes, I always loved the artistry and luxury of Rick Owens, MA+ etc.

Rick Owens is worn by the terrible, spoiled children of the people I admire.
Hey, I still wear thrift store clothes...:violin:

And Jeremy Kirkland from Blamo used to head-to-toe Rick it, and he's a total mensch by all accounts!

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we going to get a post on why we should buy the black suede Clint?

*Nvm i just checked the site and seen the post on why we should buy the black Clint

Last edited:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying something before Derek posts about it at a later date feels like when you write down the answer on a quiz and your teacher declares "it's X" and you're all "I KNEW IT"

giphy (1).gif

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It dawns on me that there may be no better example of this dynamic than the aspirational,trad-ish clothes of great American entrepreneur Ralph Lauren, and the arte povera rags of his rich nephew Greg Lauren.
What about Canadian entrepreneur Johnny Rose and his son David?

SC-EugeneLevy-highres.jpg

images

lazym

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering buying some cowboy boots after your last article. I do live in Texas, so it wouldn't be out of place.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering buying some cowboy boots after your last article. I do live in Texas, so it wouldn't be out of place.

I recently tried on some Ranch Road boots and think they're nice. Their lasts are a bit more contemporary than traditional cowboy boots, so they're not as pointy or have that clipped toe. I tried their Bexar, which has a slightly sleeker toe, and then the Gunner, which is a bit rounder (I preferred the more casual last on the Gunner). The company also has a side zip called the Johnny, but it has a higher heel and sleeker toe that may be harder to wear.

I think the quality of their boots is nice. Leather is good, construction is Goodyear welted. They have a little logo stamped on the quarters, which again may turn some guys off, but I found it discrete. Soles are sometimes rubber, however, and not leather. Prices are attractive, and if you add something to your cart and leave it for a day, they send you a discount code to encourage you to checkout (at least that's what happened to me when I ordered).

The only thing with pull-on ropers is that, since you don't have a side zipper, the shaft of the boot has to be bigger to accommodate your foot sliding in. My understanding is that it's usually about half the size of the total shoe (and this is true for all ropers). Since the shaft is bigger, it may push out a bit on slim jeans or trousers. You can see this happening in some of Ranch Road's marketing materials. The same thing happens with engineer boots.

If you live in Texas, you may appreciate that the woman behind that company also grew up in Texas. I believe she lives in California now. She also has an impressive background: served in the Marines, was stationed in the Middle East, and then returned home and graduated from Harvard Business School.

Red Wing also has a nice looking model called the Pecos. Erik Kvatek, the photographer for Kapital, wears them.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t buy Pecos unless they have the Christy sole. Even then, expect a very long and painful break-in period. Viberg, John Lofgren, Wesco, and others have roper/engineer boots that are waaaaaay easier to break in.

edit: Nonnative boots are sized weird but have a quick break-in period. Useful if you rope in coupon codes and engineer discounts.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don’t buy Pecos unless they have the Christy sole. Even then, expect a very long and painful break-in period. Viberg, John Lofgren, Wesco, and others have roper/engineer boots that are waaaaaay easier to break in.

Good point. I don't have any experience with the Pecos, but I have a pair of Red Wing boots that were brutal to break in. Honestly kind of amazing how they took off during the whole Americana thing given the break-in period.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads