• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The catalogs are no longer supported, but the covers are visible.

this is more individual pieces.

View attachment 1339372
I wanted to dress like this, but male. I didn’t know what that was. It was kinda disheartening tbh, I felt like if I didn’t dress in a masculine way, even if I hung out with punks, goths, and assorted art school goofs I got flak. I still get flak but at 40 I feel much easier telling people to just ******* deal with it.
I feel that. I was surprised at the amount of **** I got for a loose, long trench coat.

"You're not a lawyer, stop wearing that"
"You look like a mentally ill homeless man"
"That is WAY too big on you".

Did you end up figuring out a 'way' for yourself?

Derek's article on baggy pants is a good jumping off point IMO.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to reading the blog the other night. Great stuff

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll admit, it’s definitely a “look” to do a head-to-toe baggy silhouette. FWIW I really like how Armani did wide pants in the 90s with slimmer tops. Alternatively I’ve seen wide-legged pants worn well with boxy tops, as long as they’re not too long. Evan Kinori’s lookbooks are fantastic for this vibe.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
With oversized clothing you have to give a lot of thought to the overall silhouette - flowing, boxy, tapering, etc. There are lots of possibilities, but without that attention it often winds up looking like a schlumpy pile.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Of course IMO we should always pay attention to the overall silhouette, it’s one of the fundamentals of style.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a pleb who can't afford fashion brands, "slim fit" has become so basic nowadays it's almost impossible to find anything else. I remember the good old days hunting for skinny ties in thrifts back in like '04 when I still wanted to be a hipster. Now I'm cranky that I can't find 3.5" ties easily. (Not that this has anything to do with baggy clothes. I guess the point is... maybe oversized/baggy is hitting that point that slim fit was in the early/mid-00s. But I don't follow the fashion world that closely so this could be peak Dunning-Kruger.)

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time is a spiral.
giphy.gif

aj805

Reaction score
I wish that I could wear all the wonderful, drapey, classic full-cut clothes in the wardrobe that I had made, I think that the look is fabulous when done right. But one day I saw a picture of my lanky self in said clothes with my proportionately smallish head on top and realized it looked really stupid. If you have a small head, in even nominally full cuts it looks like a child swimming in grandpa's duds.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I wish that I could wear all the wonderful, drapey, classic full-cut clothes in the wardrobe that I had made, I think that the look is fabulous when done right. But one day I saw a picture of my lanky self in said clothes with my proportionately smallish head on top and realized it looked really stupid. If you have a small head, in even nominally full cuts it looks like a child swimming in grandpa's duds.

I think I know what you mean but can also think of some counterpoints, eg, David Byrne. I recall his shirts being relatively fitted even though his suits were draped. Obviously he had great presence so may not transfer to ordinary mortals. But I wonder if having more fitted shirts amidst the drapey outer layer would counteract the swimming effect

Alexidb

Reaction score
I think I know what you mean but can also think of some counterpoints, eg, David Byrne. I recall his shirts being relatively fitted even though his suits were draped. Obviously he had great presence so may not transfer to ordinary mortals. But I wonder if having more fitted shirts amidst the drapey outer layer would counteract the swimming effect
Not just draped, some of them had a wooden frame inside to maintain structure.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Not just draped, some of them had a wooden frame inside to maintain structure.
Ok sure. But my point is he had a head like Beaker from the Muppets but still looked stylish in his big suits

if you watch the Stop Making Sense concert video (one of my favorites) when he removes his jacket, his shirt is fitted but his pants are billowy. It’s a good look on his thin frame (even with his small head)

the more extreme versions obviously don’t transfer well to non rockstars

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads