• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the CJ from RL (cordovan) it was definitely narrower did you up size compare to usual?

edit: sounds like that’s usual size, odd... guess just not much luck with loafer on my side...

Yes usual size for me. It could just be that they are suede. Suede certainly has more give than cordovan.

-DL

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I wish I could wear loafers (orthotics don’t play well with them).

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took me a long time to get over the tassel dingleberry thing

then I just started thinking about them as a substitute visually for laces

I think they work best in black as it mutes the dingleberry effect. I also prefer them not shiny- just cream polish.

as for why tassel loafers instead of oxfords or penny’s— I think they’re just more versatile

you can wear black tassels with a suit- not really with penny

you can wear black tassels with a sportcoat and trousers- doesn’t work as well with black captoes

they sit in the useful semi formal middle between the more formal and more casual ends of the black shoe spectrum
I can't unsee this now. I'm dying.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get the fascination with tassle loafers. They feel old fashioned in a very square way.

In general, I like loafers. I have a pair of black Weston 180 loafers and a pair of brown Weejuns (though I rarely wear either). I have long wanted a pair of Belgians.

I would personally vote tassel before Beligans though

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
formality is less a thing today anyway, if wearing Tod driving shoes with suit was a thing 10 years ago then all loafers works...

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Vancouver- anything suede is basically closet decoration.

The one thing I've really enjoyed about living in SLC atm is being able to wear suede. Not destroying suede/leather in YVR sucks. Trying to wear nice clothes there in general is rough because it's always muddy/wet. -_-

Psyko

Reaction score
Bergen it is!

Normally we have 100 days of consecutive Rain from sept to dec. This january we have had over 500 mm of Rain (Normally we have 2000 mm in a year). There is no need to carry a raincho, just wear something waterproof from sept to april. And most of summer as well.

As Norwegian Rain is from Bergen i have been thinking about buying one of their new m65 parkas, but I find them really expensive. But again a good rain coat is a sound investment piece here.

I also live in Bergen and own a Norwegian Rain Raincho. I have to say, it is definitely worth it. I never wear an umbrella anymore. The M65 is cool looking, but won't "feel" as waterproof as the Raincho, due to it being cut closer to the body. Wearing a Raincho you don't feel the rain hitting you in the same way you do wearing other raincoats due to there being space between the material and your body. I also bought one for my girlfriend, and she loves it as well.

The oversized silhouette of the Raincho is killer. I've tried most other raincoat styles out there, but none of them are as good as the Raincho. No raincoat like it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200216-152202__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200216-152202__01.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Alexidb

Reaction score
I would think she would give you more grief for cutting with no chaps, especially at that height.

What's going on in this pic?

lefty
Chaps really wouldn’t do much for kick back cutting at that height now would it? Beside my nephew was wearing mine.

I’m taking a wedge out of a dead tree that’s caught up in another tree. Hoping the wind we’ve been having will finish the job.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chap’s aren’t for kickback, they’re for any contact. Pretty easy to lose momentary control of a saw at that height.

It’s a strange pic but that aside, compromising the integrity of a dead tree and leaving it standing in the hope that the wind will knock it down sometime is a pretty dangerous thing to do.

lefty

Alexidb

Reaction score
Chap’s aren’t for kickback, they’re for any contact. Pretty easy to lose momentary control of a saw at that height.

It’s a strange pic but that aside, compromising the integrity of a dead tree and leaving it standing in the hope that the wind will knock it down sometime is a pretty dangerous thing to do.

lefty
I think it’s a strange angle, and it’s a strange tree. The point where I’m taking out the wedge is where the tree thins out and goes from being pyramid to round.

it’s a dried out dead tree hanging up in a live tree, it’s coming down eventually either way and I want it down before the kids are out there this spring.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s my point. You’re better off (and your kids safer) if you just knock it down instead of leaving it uweakened.

if it’s hung to the left you should be able to drop it in the direction you’re standing. But if it can only fall to the right against the lean you should still be able to wedge it over or winch it over with a comealong. You just have to be careful not to put too much tension on it as snags do funny things.

Good luck.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads