• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of western shirts. I am unsure if I love this version from Warehouse or not.

It could be awesome.

Warehouse 3001 Longhorn type Denim Western Shirt-Shirts-Clutch Cafe

This is a copy of an early vintage snap pocket denim shirt. (IIRC late 40's?) I like that the pocket shape is different from the sawtooth or the "V" snap pockets. But, trust your instincts and if it isn't love at first sight then maybe you would prefer the more classic and common sawtooth. Bryceland's makes a beauty. The only downside is that the shirt tails are quite long (as were the originals)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also never drink with a Russian. I met the friend of a then girlfriend in grad school, maybe 135 lbs soaking wet, and not wanting to be shown up, agreed to drink with him. He polished off 20 shots of vodka over the course of a few hours. I tapped out after 10 (I think) in about the same time, and most of the night was hazy, but at some time I was walking down Colorado boulevard in Pasadena with a bunch of Russians singing Russian songs with them - I speak about 10 words of Russian, including the names of countries and cities.

On my first night in Moscow, I went drinking with Russians and almost got beat up. I arrived really late at night and was staying around Stary Arbat, which is like Moscow's version of Fisherman's Wharf. It's a very touristy place and during the day, there are a ton of street performers in the public square busking for money.

Anyway, I arrived in town, dropped off my bags, and decided I wanted to take a walk around the city. It was really late at night at the time, maybe around midnight. I strolled to Stary Arbat and saw some Russian guys drinking, singing, and playing guitar around a makeshift table. They were sitting on milk crates.

I went over there to listen to the music and one of the guys sitting down ushered me to also sit down with them. So I did.

I didn't know any Russian though and none of the guys there really knew English. But we could communicate well enough with some basic hand gestures and facial expressions. He offered me a drink (if you walk through Moscow at night, you'll often see people drinking vodka), so I did. Then he taught me my first few Russian words: Hello (privet), friend (droog), and thank you (spaciba).

I was there for about 45 minutes, minding my own business, and talking with this guy next to me, who was very friendly. I had maybe two shots at this point. Out of nowhere, the guy from across the makeshift table -- a wooden plank set upon some more milk crates -- got really, really angry for some reason. He jumped up, flipped the table over, and lunged at me. The guy was literally built like Zangief.

I jumped back and all these guys are holding this big guy back. I have no idea what I did to upset him, but the guy who was sitting next to me ushered me to go away. I ran off, yelling in Russian "spaciba droog! spaciba droog!"

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my first night in Moscow, I went drinking with Russians and almost got beat up. I arrived really late at night and was staying around Stary Arbat, which is like Moscow's version of Fisherman's Wharf. It's a very touristy place and during the day, there are a ton of street performers in the public square busking for money.

Anyway, I arrived in town, dropped off my bags, and decided I wanted to take a walk around the city. It was really late at night at the time, maybe around midnight. I strolled to Stary Arbat and saw some Russian guys drinking, singing, and playing guitar around a makeshift table. They were sitting on milk crates.

I went over there to listen to the music and one of the guys sitting down ushered me to also sit down with them. So I did.

I didn't know any Russian though and none of the guys there really knew English. But we could communicate well enough with some basic hand gestures and facial expressions. He offered me a drink (if you walk through Moscow at night, you'll often see people drinking vodka), so I did. Then he taught me my first few Russian words: Hello (privet), friend (droog), and thank you (spaciba).

I was there for about 45 minutes, minding my own business, and talking with this guy next to me, who was very friendly. I had maybe two shots at this point. Out of nowhere, the guy from across the makeshift table -- a wooden plank set upon some more milk crates -- got really, really angry for some reason. He jumped up, flipped the table over, and lunged at me. The guy was literally built like Zangief.

I jumped back and all these guys are holding this big guy back. I have no idea what I did to upset him, but the guy who was sitting next to me ushered me to go away. I ran off, yelling in Russian "spaciba droog! spaciba droog!"

What upset him was that you sat there for a whole 45 minutes and only drank two shots. This is incredibly disrespectful.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Hi DW, I was wondering about a couple of historical question related to your latest post about beanies / watch caps.

1. You mention that something akin to the modern beanie was first worn by seafarers back in the 18th C.
I've often wondered why it seems very rare to see knit clothes (other than stockings) before the second half of the 19th C. but I could be entirely wrong.
What sources were you drawing from, in the case of the 18th C. beanies?

2. You cite Phrigian Caps as a sort fo ancestor of the beanie. I'm not sure I see the connection, other than the fact that they are brimless but.. there are so many examples historically of brimless hats not least the Fez/Tarboush.
Any info on that?

FWIW, style-wise, as you point out, people wear beanies with all sorts of clothes, nowadays. I can't help but think they really go best with workwear / sportswear and when it's, you know, actually cold.

jimney

Reaction score
The beanie post today got me thinking about summer hats. I've been thinking about a woven hat like Optimo's Montecristi - could be good for walking to work in the summer when it's hot, or vacations somewhere warm. I kind of got the idea from Richard Ayoade in Travel Man, even though I'm sure he's not what most people think of as a style icon.

vida

Reaction score
The beanie post today got me thinking about summer hats. I've been thinking about a woven hat like Optimo's Montecristi - could be good for walking to work in the summer when it's hot, or vacations somewhere warm. I kind of got the idea from Richard Ayoade in Travel Man, even though I'm sure he's not what most people think of as a style icon.

View attachment 1327698

View attachment 1327699
Richard Ayoade has great style! Love the series...hilarious!

Alexidb

Reaction score

View attachment 1327698

View attachment 1327699
I’m really hoping that the packable paper hats from Sublime make a return this year to NMWA.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi DW, I was wondering about a couple of historical question related to your latest post about beanies / watch caps.

1. You mention that something akin to the modern beanie was first worn by seafarers back in the 18th C.
I've often wondered why it seems very rare to see knit clothes (other than stockings) before the second half of the 19th C. but I could be entirely wrong.
What sources were you drawing from, in the case of the 18th C. beanies?

2. You cite Phrigian Caps as a sort fo ancestor of the beanie. I'm not sure I see the connection, other than the fact that they are brimless but.. there are so many examples historically of brimless hats not least the Fez/Tarboush.
Any info on that?

FWIW, style-wise, as you point out, people wear beanies with all sorts of clothes, nowadays. I can't help but think they really go best with workwear / sportswear and when it's, you know, actually cold.

The Monmouth cap dates to at least the 15c. The style worn in the ECW could easily pass for a modern beanie. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monmouth_cap

As @Alexidb noted, sailors used to wear the Monmouth cap. This one is from the 16th century

Regarding the Fez, I think a Phrygian cap looks more like a beanie.

View attachment 1327698

View attachment 1327699

I dig straw hats. Although, of the two photos you posted, I think the wider brim looks better. Lock & Co makes something they call their Napoli hat, which looks a bit like that. It's the darker one here:

Alexidb

Reaction score
I meant to reply to this earlier, but my phone was being iffy. In a 17c British context (which is what I studied) you often see knit & boiled clothing as a substitute for woven cloth clothing. So when the Scots Covenanters were having problems supplying fabric for uniforms* they would employ local knitters to knit waist coats and jackets and then boil them as the felted material would resemble the heavy wool jackets of the period. Knit hose was seen as a bit plebeian compared to stitched fabric hose. It’s also noted that in attempting to mimic the fur hats of the well to do that poor soldiers of the Royalist and Parliamentarian armies would wear knit and felted broad brimmed hats.

*for the first 2/3 of the 17c uniforms weren’t really a thing. Soldiers would be presented with “coin and coat” by their commanding officer at the beginning of a campaign. Because it was cheaper to purchase cloth in bulk, units would often have matching coats. As a campaign wore on coats would wear out and be replaced with what ever was available, including the clothing from the opposite side. Uniformity quickly fell into shambles. The Scottish forces maintained a greater uniformity as they were raised and clothed by the government as opposed to their commanders. The Scots were clothed in grey that was produced by carding 1 part black wool to 4 parts white wool.

Last edited:

Alexidb

Reaction score
As @Alexidb noted, sailors used to wear the Monmouth cap. This one is from the 16th century

Not just sailors, they were very popular with soldiers as the knit cap would provide a little extra cushion under a helmet. As armour was discard thru the 17c the cap was kept.

here are some illustrations of 17c Monmouth caps, mostly in a workwear context.
E3385D48-079A-4900-BC7F-F5049CDA2C5B.png
20E1655C-1219-4CF2-B484-9BE9F83934C2.png
851D2D64-7663-451B-AB26-8F2314950449.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics