• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus. Apparently they killed Mr. Peanut. He's dead.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear mr. VP of HRM

I appreciate your concern regarding my car and financial situation. I can assure you that my situation is perfectly fine but my priorities might be different from yours. After all a car only carries my to and from work. As we now have opened this door to personal concern I would like to express my concern regarding your suits and their buttonholes which clearly are not made by hand. Some might believe that a buttonhole is simply to close your jacket but it can imply so much more. I, with my priorities, am fully aware of the cost of hand made buttonholes. I do not know how much you earn, but given your title and responsibility it must be more than me. If you wish I can give you contact details to a decent coat maker that can adress your issue.

Dear VP of finance.
I would like to extend my concer to your shirts as well. As many of us know your shirt cought fire on the company christmas party. This is a strong indication that it is not made of 100 % cotton. You may be a victim of the simonnot goddard fraud or simply not pay enough attention to your choice of shirts. I would be happy to point you in the direction of a competent shirt maker.

I very much look forward to our meeting and a possibility to discuss our different priorities.

Yours truly

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always remember that line from the Bible:

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who drives a crappy car to enter the kingdom of God, for he or she may do illegal things to get back in the black. Whether or not it is justified to exclude people based on what they drive, who can say? Let us not judge people based on their exclusionary behavior, advised Jesus."
Deuteronomy 23:1

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear mr. VP of HRM

I appreciate your concern regarding my car and financial situation. I can assure you that my situation is perfectly fine but my priorities might be different from yours. After all a car only carries my to and from work. As we now have opened this door to personal concern I would like to express my concern regarding your suits and their buttonholes which clearly are not made by hand. Some might believe that a buttonhole is simply to close your jacket but it can imply so much more. I, with my priorities, am fully aware of the cost of hand made buttonholes. I do not know how much you earn, but given your title and responsibility it must be more than me. If you wish I can give you contact details to a decent coat maker that can adress your issue.

Dear VP of finance.
I would like to extend my concer to your shirts as well. As many of us know your shirt cought fire on the company christmas party. This is a strong indication that it is not made of 100 % cotton. You may be a victim of the simonnot goddard fraud or simply not pay enough attention to your choice of shirts. I would be happy to point you in the direction of a competent shirt maker.

I very much look forward to our meeting and a possibility to discuss our different priorities.

Yours truly

This is so true. I had to yell at this guy at my office, in front of dozens of people, for a lack of grace and rectitude because he didn't have surgeon's cuffs on his jacket. Worse, he didn't know what I was talking about, it was a ski jacket and that he was just delivering flowers. I can't believe people just wear ski jackets in public now. We used to have standards.

I, for one, will continue to yell, judge and berate people for a lack of class.

Billy Brasky

Reaction score
... Dude please write a new controversial thing this is getting to be a major bummer in my life and I CAN'T STOP CHECKING IN HERE FOR SOME REASON.

Loving this thread also, has become a daily check-in for me.

Recently watched Parasite which I feel frames some of what you all are talking about very well. Aspirations regarding class, the nature of how dress/manners/smell makes one treated, and of course power imbalance in various ways.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I'm surprised this discussion has gone this far without a single mention of American Psycho

Picked them up from the printer’s yesterday.— I mention.
—Cool coloring.— Van Patten says, studying the card closely.
—That’s bone.— I point out. —And the lettering is something called Silian Rail.—
—Silian Rail?— McDermott asks.
—Yeah. Not bad, huh?—
—It’s very cool, Bateman,—Van Patten says guardedly, the jealous bastard, —but that’s nothing…— He pulls out his wallet and slaps a card next to an ashtray. —Look at this.—
We all lean over and inspect David’s card and Price quietly says, —That is really nice.—
A brief spasm of jealousy courses through me when I notice the elegance of the color and the classy type. I clench my fist as Van Patten says, smugly, —Eggshell with Romalian type…— He turns to me. —What do you think?—
—Nice,— I croak, but manage to nod, as the busboy brings four fresh Bellinis.
—Jesus,— Price says, holding the card up to the light, ignoring the new drinks. —This is really super. How’d a nitwit like you get so tasteful?—
I’m looking at Van Patten’s card and then at mine and cannot believe that Price actually likes Van Patten’s better.
Dizzy, I sip my drink then take a deep breath.
—But wait,— Price says. —You ain’t seen nothin’ yet…— He pulls his out of an inside coat pocket and slowly, dramatically turns it over for our inspection and says, —Mine.—
Even I have to admit it’s magnificent.
Suddenly the restaurant seems far away, hushed, the noise distant, a meaningless hum, compared to this card, and we all hear Price’s words: —Raised lettering, pale nimbus white…—
—Holy ****,— Van Patten exclaims. —I’ve never seen…—
—Nice, very nice,— I have to admit. —But wait. Let’s see Montgomery’s.—
Price pulls it out and though he’s acting nonchalant, I don’t see how he can ignore its subtle off-white coloring, its tasteful thickness. I am unexpectedly depressed that I started this.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of western shirts. I am unsure if I love this version from Warehouse or not.

It could be awesome.

Warehouse 3001 Longhorn type Denim Western Shirt-Shirts-Clutch Cafe

imgrc0080860409.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a high heat tolerance?

Not going to lie, my ego was absolutely destroyed after that night. I would normally challenge anyone, but that night really killed me.

Another time, when I was an undergrad, I was invited to a grad student party. I wanted to go to grad school so badly at the time. I thought being an academic was the coolest thing. So I was obviously super, super psyched that these grad students thought I was cool enough to be invited to their party.

Anyway, the two guys I was friends with were of Polish and English descent. They invited me into the kitchen to have drinks, but they kept knocking back these shots. I wasn't going to let myself look dumb in front of all these cool people, so I tried to keep up with them. They kept knocking drinks back and back and back. I normally don't even knock drinks back, I sip gently and slowly like a polite little mouse. But I didn't want to let my hosts down.

I don't even remember what happened, to be honest. My only memory is waking up briefly and finding myself laying stomach down on the host's bed while puking into a bucket. One of the grad students was patting me on the back. The next day, like a schmuck, I went back to that house with a huge hangover and profusely apologized.
Also never drink with a Russian. I met the friend of a then girlfriend in grad school, maybe 135 lbs soaking wet, and not wanting to be shown up, agreed to drink with him. He polished off 20 shots of vodka over the course of a few hours. I tapped out after 10 (I think) in about the same time, and most of the night was hazy, but at some time I was walking down Colorado boulevard in Pasadena with a bunch of Russians singing Russian songs with them - I speak about 10 words of Russian, including the names of countries and cities.

I went for a run the next morning with the girlfriend, and basically had to hold in the runs for the entire time. I’ve never had a more brutal run in my entire life.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went out drinking a lot with Brits, Aussies, and Germans and learned the same lessons including painful PT the next morning. Never try to out drink them. The Aussies in particular would show up already having polished off many beers before the night even started.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads