• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I used to buy wrangler PBR jeans at Shepplers in Wichita in the late 90s and bring them back East with me. I remember being told that real cowboys wear baseball caps and t-shirts, Mexicans dress up like cowboys.

I'd phrase this a little differently (why are Mexicans described as "dressing up"? A vaquero isn't a real cowboy?), but it's pretty accurate. The last surviving "western wear" shops around here catered almost entirely to Latinos, but even those have been going out of business over the last decade or so.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't get past the "W" pattern on the chest pockets...

Seam Ripper.

Alexidb

Reaction score
I'd phrase this a little differently (why are Mexicans described as "dressing up"? A vaquero isn't a real cowboy?), but it's pretty accurate. The last surviving "western wear" shops around here catered almost entirely to Latinos, but even those have been going out of business over the last decade or so.
I didn’t mean any disrespect in that statement, and it’s they way it was said to me. Most of the Mexicans (and I mean Mexicans, not a catch all for Central Americans) that Ive met in Wichita are in the food or construction business. There are “h****y-Tonks” that have Mexican Country nights, and my understanding is that is where they get all duded up in the “cowboy” outfits. I’d hazard any vaqueros are dressing in t-shirts, carhart jackets and ball caps just like the “American” cowboys. It’s the same issue with workwear, it’s a costume.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I don’t see anything wrong with anyone wearing work or western gear if they’re not in construction or a ranch hand. The world is so small now, inspiration from past decades is easier than ever to find, and things have been repurposed so many times that unless you have serious imposter syndrome, go ahead and introduce a little something different in your wardrobe. I sincerely doubt anyone is going to ask you for your dues receipt if you’re wearing Carhartts.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally I don’t see anything wrong with anyone wearing work or western gear if they’re not in construction or a ranch hand. The world is so small now, inspiration from past decades is easier than ever to find, and things have been repurposed so many times that unless you have serious imposter syndrome, go ahead and introduce a little something different in your wardrobe. I sincerely doubt anyone is going to ask you for your dues receipt if you’re wearing Carhartts.

I once wore a chore coat to a grocery store. A Latino in what I can only assume was a genuine pair of paint-splattered coveralls (meaning, they were genuinely paint-splattered and not Margiela replicas) looked at me while we were both in the checkout line. He smiled and said "hard day at work?"

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once wore a chore coat to a grocery store. A Latino in what I can only assume was a genuine pair of paint-splattered coveralls (meaning, they were genuinely paint-splattered and not Margiela replicas) looked at me while we were both in the checkout line. He smiled and said "hard day at work?"
I’ll give you mine. It’s got fire caulking and cutting oil stains.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True story at work today, 10 minutes ago:

I bumped a 5 gallon bucket of standing water from the drywallers, and it spilled everywhere. Suddenly the room was filled with the worst stench I have ever experienced, and I saw the bucket had floaties and crusted poo in it.

Pic
image.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
True story at work today, 10 minutes ago:

I bumped a 5 gallon bucket of standing water from the drywallers, and it spilled everywhere. Suddenly the room was filled with the worst stench I have ever experienced, and I saw the bucket had floaties and crusted poo in it.

Pic

Honestly, this photo looks like one of those "fillers" in a Margiela lookbook that's designed to give you a MOOD in-between photos of models.

The perfectly spilled liquid, the slightly offset ladder, the combination of bright blue set against a cold grey concrete background. Very artisanal.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, this photo looks like one of those "fillers" in a Margiela lookbook that's designed to give you a MOOD in-between photos of models.

The perfectly spilled liquid, the slightly offset ladder, the combination of bright blue set against a cold grey concrete background. Very artisanal.
The poo is most definitely artisanal. Not terribly exotic, but definitely not machine-made. Not that it’s a signal of quality, but still.

espen

Reaction score
The story and visuals really help amp up the copy that Taylor Stitch has for their western shirts, especially: "You’ve gotta ask yourself one question… stripes or solid?"

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. While I very much care about the history of certain items of clothing, it never really occurs to me why I should (or shouldn't) wear it. I don't really need a rational as to why I'm choosing to wear something. Life too short and as you say, the world is too small to have to gatekeep my sartorial preferences to myself.

Sometimes when I wear my Penfield windbreaker in bear and feather camo I get a "thank you for your service". How ridiculous is that? I mean on what planet would bear heads and feathers be appropriate for military camo?

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads