• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

jmiller123

Reaction score
Most of the reproductions these days are way longer than I'd like. I love the original lenght on these jackets and also leather jackets. I hate that they're modified to match low rise trousers.
Warehouse denim jackets are definitely faithful to the old length- I used to have a type 2 from them that hit right at the waist

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the reproductions these days are way longer than I'd like. I love the original lenght on these jackets and also leather jackets. I hate that they're modified to match low rise trousers.
Real McCoys has an extra 1 inch or so, but otherwise, fits similarly to the original jackets from the 60s. I've rarely seen even repros with the same length and ratios. Maybe, on the equivalent of a US40, I've seen 25", which is already pretty short, though still slightly longer than the original, which measures out to about 24.6".

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re:

Levis Type 3 Denim jacket, t-shirt, and fatigues seems to be my go to lately. Sometimes I just don't want to put thought into an outfit, and it's a hard wearing easy uniform that works great in my current weather of 50-75F.

The jacket is used and older, and a bit shorter than denim jackets today. I like cropped jackets that are well above my bum. More comfortable to wear inside when seated as well.

d94cc06063520b1edffb15ff5c1506002bd29c96.jpg

I've sometimes pulled the "reverse" outfit of an M-65 jacket and light wash jeans as well, but the M-65s wear much longer than a denim jacket.

I've been running the same fit but with old chambray shirts instead of my denim jacket. Also huarache's are a nice change up when it gets warmer.

-DL

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been running the same fit but with old chambray shirts instead of my denim jacket. Also huarache's are a nice change up when it gets warmer.

-DL
Yep, I swap out my sneakers for Birkenstocks once it gets hot.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very happy that Sugar Cane modified their Type II jacket to be a bit less boxy and longer. I need it being 6'2". IIRC Iron Heart also has a modified fit for their Type III.

krudsma

Reaction score
I finally picked up a vintage Lee 101J that I absolutely love. Perfectly faded and broken in, in a nice bright blue that isn't very common at the moment. It's also nice that they used to size denim jackets like suit jackets, so I was able to find a 40L that fits my long ass arms.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally picked up a vintage Lee 101J that I absolutely love. Perfectly faded and broken in, in a nice bright blue that isn't very common at the moment. It's also nice that they used to size denim jackets like suit jackets, so I was able to find a 40L that fits my long ass arms.
I have a 1964 40L as well! Love it.

willyto

Reaction score
Real McCoys has an extra 1 inch or so, but otherwise, fits similarly to the original jackets from the 60s. I've rarely seen even repros with the same length and ratios. Maybe, on the equivalent of a US40, I've seen 25", which is already pretty short, though still slightly longer than the original, which measures out to about 24.6".
Just as an example and for reference being 179cm(around 5' 11" or so? ) I like my leather jackets in a short style to be no more than 21,5" (55cm or so) in back lenght. These days most makers do them a lot longer and I really don't like that.

Fortunately I've got a Freewheelers cross zip half belt with a 21,5" back in size 38. I know there were different lenght styles but I just like them short for real high waist trousers.

I know I'm the minority here though...

Tall guys obiously need extra lenght.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not my fav fit necessarily in the 101J but one of my fav pics.
DA041F9F-0BF6-4813-BBE4-6C8479AB5C8E.jpeg

krudsma

Reaction score
I visited Steed yesterday for my first ever bespoke commission (I actually intended to get something from their MTM program but once I was sitting there I made a snap decision to go full bespoke because hey, it's just money right? ...right?).

As we were discussing how many interior pockets I wanted, I suddenly remembered a DWW post from years ago about a "reading jacket" which featured a poacher's pocket that you could lug books or magazines around in. I've always loved this idea and this was the first time I could actually ask for it.

Me: Oh, I actually just remembered something from a Die, Workwear post from awhile ago. He had-
Edwin: I already know what you're going to say.
Me: You do?
Edwin: I do. It comes up quite a lot, actually.
Me: A reading book pocket thingy?
Edwin: A hare pocket. Yes. We do those all the time.

So now I'm finally going to have a reading jacket. Looking forward to my first fitting in October.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 1964 40L as well! Love it.

How do you figure out the year of manufacture? I think mine is from the 70's (no hand warmer pockets) but that's all a guess. Here are pics of the labels in mine.
07CBA27C-C6C3-4B21-AC9F-1FDA76E42F08 copy.jpg

5005861A-4BD6-4F7C-88FE-F896AF54F172 copy.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads