• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing he wants to celebrate his Native American ancestry. I think he’s part Cherokee

Val has lived in and around Santa Fe for decades. He had a 6000 acre ranch in the Pecos area at the very southern end of the Rocky Mountains. 1,000-1,500 years ago Pecos was the key trading route for the Plains tribes to trade with the Western tribes and later became the Santa Fe trail followed by the railroad route. As a result the area is rich in Native America culture and Southwest history. Too bad almost none of it is taught in US History classes, it's facinating.

Val's look is pretty common around Northern New Mexico with Anglos, Native Americans and Hispanos. For holidays and special events guys enjoy wearing their best and bold statement jewelry (Squash blossom Necklaces, turquoise and silver cuffs and Naja, turquoise, coral and shell necklaces). Even guys from NYC!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Val has lived in and around Santa Fe for decades. He had a 6000 acre ranch in the Pecos area at the very southern end of the Rocky Mountains. 1,000-1,500 years ago Pecos was the key trading route for the Plains tribes to trade with the Western tribes and later became the Santa Fe trail followed by the railroad route. As a result the area is rich in Native America culture and Southwest history. Too bad almost none of it is taught in US History classes, it's facinating.

Val's look is pretty common around Northern New Mexico with Anglos, Native Americans and Hispanos. For holidays and special events guys enjoy wearing their best and bold statement jewelry (Squash blossom Necklaces, turquoise and silver cuffs and Naja, turquoise, coral and shell necklaces). Even guys from NYC!
I thought he looked cool and natural, and didn't know much beyond that.

I love it when there's a bigger story behind it all.

Reactions: Gus

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A black bolo tie with a silver and turquoise slider is appropriate with black tie in Santa Fe (and elsewhere), as are black cowboy boots with silver spurs.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Val Kilmer seems to be all in on the westernwear look

val-kilmer-2-2000.jpg
img2432-1587408511.png

Both of these shirts are awesome, particularly the second one.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, though, I don't think that Manton's participation means that CM is inherently fascist or whatever. DWW's latest post mentions the craft of bespoke tailoring as literally dying a slow death as the rate of young new tailors being trained is not keeping up with the retirement and death of old tailors. The decreasing number of tailors and the increasing price of bespoke tailoring puts it increasingly out of reach, and those consumers who can actually afford bespoke are much less likely to need or care about tailoring.

I really like CM, and I like most of the silhouettes that DWW posts. But paying thousands of dollars and having to fly 3-4x to NY/SF/Europe to have a bespoke suit made is just not going to happen for me.

As always, the writing and photos in DWW's latest post are excellent. I can't help but feel, though, that it describes a world that has little relevance to most people today. It is like reading a story about a trip to an exotic locale that few people will ever visit in their lives.
Derek is a min-legend in
When one of the stars of the forum was on the leading edge of the American fascist movement.
Derek has been my favourite unpaid content creator in this creaky corner of the web, but digging back just now into the story referenced above makes me never want to come back here. Who takes up space in a clothing-nerd forum trying to normalize fascism? While @LA Guy runs interference and tells people not to call a nazi a nazi. There really aren’t very fine people on both sides. I’m out.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derek is a min-legend in

Derek has been my favourite unpaid content creator in this creaky corner of the web, but digging back just now into the story referenced above makes me never want to come back here. Who takes up space in a clothing-nerd forum trying to normalize fascism? While @LA Guy runs interference and tells people not to call a nazi a nazi. There really aren’t very fine people on both sides. I’m out.

Wasn't really active much at the time but IIRC Manton did not come out as a pro-Trumpist conservative until his Flight 93 essay in 2016. I don't think his posts when he was most active had anything to do with this garbage but I am happy to be corrected.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't really active much at the time but IIRC Manton did not come out as a pro-Trumpist conservative until his Flight 93 essay in 2016. I don't think his posts when he was most active had anything to do with this garbage but I am happy to be corrected.
Manton had been on the forum since 2002, when Giuliani was considered the hero of 9/11, and had started an entire thread dedicated to slamming Trump. His politics were always conservative, he was a former Bush speechwriter, after all, but for his first fourteen years on the forum, there were no Trump supporters, and definitely not in the way we know the term now. The entire idea would have seemed ludicrous. Trump was just a joke and a television businessman, as he’d been since the 80s. I suppose that in hindsight I might have seen the drift, but frankly, even while I called the election for Trump in early 2016, I had no idea how bad it could get. I figured that it would be 4 years of clown cars and general ineptitude, and then all of America would want to go back to normalish centrist government. Manton was a personal friend, and in our hundreds of hours of conversation, while he was always thinking that someone was out to get him, I can’t rightly say that I ever thought that he’d become a lead Trumper, or what that would mean. He always just seemed overly concerned with prescriptive fashion for me, but was a knowledgeable guy. I suppose, looking back with the clarity of hindsight, it was a little at a time, then all at once, situation. The year leading up to the 2020 election was extremely sobering for me.

'patanoster

Reaction score
Posting this q here as those that check this thread generally know good stuff.

I’m after a suit for a couple of summer weddings and need it in relatively short order (a couple of weeks or so) so looking at RTW casual-ish cotton suit. I’m relatively style and colour agnostic, just want to look good, y’know?

I’m based in London and would need to be able to pick it up so looking for UK based shops.

Also trying to spend no more than £1k.

So far I’ve looked at John Simons, Timothy Everest, Drakes. First two don’t come down to my size in trousers (i’m 38 chest 30 waist, or thereabouts), the games suits are in the right ballpark, but I wanted to check if anyone else had any good ideas for places I could check out. Richard James’ rtw seems a possibility — anyone got any experience with them?

Any thoughts much appreciated (other than ‘plan ahead better’ — I know that now…)

Quesjac

Reaction score

I’m after a suit for a couple of summer weddings and need it in relatively short order (a couple of weeks or so) so looking at RTW casual-ish cotton suit. I’m relatively style and colour agnostic, just want to look good, y’know?

I’m based in London and would need to be able to pick it up so looking for UK based shops.

So far I’ve looked at John Simons, Timothy Everest, Drakes. First two don’t come down to my size in trousers (i’m 38 chest 30 waist, or thereabouts), the games suits are in the right ballpark, but I wanted to check if anyone else had any good ideas for places I could check out. Richard James’ rtw seems a possibility — anyone got any experience with them?

Any thoughts much appreciated (other than ‘plan ahead better’ — I know that now…)

Probably goes without saying, but whatever fits you best is the right choice.

Drakes is a good call so long as you're happy with the sleeve lengths (assuming the model you are looking at has pre-cut cuff buttonholes) because alteration is expensive and maybe too slow for you.

I like RJ but it's quite a different block, definitely worth trying. Or Suit Supply if you want something on the slimmer side to Drake's.

Further afield, also worth checking what they have at Richard Gelding, it can be a bit random but Ring Jacket and some Italian names worth looking at should be in budget.

If you want something a bit more casual, Casley Hayford has a navy cotton suit I think.

CatoCensorius

Reaction score

Richard James RTW suits aren't bad. I would say they're a notch below Ring Jacket/Drake's. I would be reluctant to pay retail.

Dadacantona

Reaction score

Games suits might be a bit casual but that’s down to personal taste. Personally I find that jackets with no structure are difficult to wear and a bit of canvass in the chest, however light, is more flattering. Drakes ’traditional’ suits should do the trick.
Personally I think Anglo Italian is the best RTW in UK, but their spring/summer suits and jackets aren’t yet available.
Natalino might be worth a try - they seem to have plenty of new cotton suits available and you can buy them as separates which should accommodate your sizing.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re:

Levis Type 3 Denim jacket, t-shirt, and fatigues seems to be my go to lately. Sometimes I just don't want to put thought into an outfit, and it's a hard wearing easy uniform that works great in my current weather of 50-75F.

The jacket is used and older, and a bit shorter than denim jackets today. I like cropped jackets that are well above my bum. More comfortable to wear inside when seated as well.

d94cc06063520b1edffb15ff5c1506002bd29c96.jpg

I've sometimes pulled the "reverse" outfit of an M-65 jacket and light wash jeans as well, but the M-65s wear much longer than a denim jacket.

willyto

Reaction score
Re:

Levis Type 3 Denim jacket, t-shirt, and fatigues seems to be my go to lately. Sometimes I just don't want to put thought into an outfit, and it's a hard wearing easy uniform that works great in my current weather of 50-75F.

The jacket is used and older, and a bit shorter than denim jackets today. I like cropped jackets that are well above my bum. More comfortable to wear inside when seated as well.

d94cc06063520b1edffb15ff5c1506002bd29c96.jpg

I've sometimes pulled the "reverse" outfit of an M-65 jacket and light wash jeans as well, but the M-65s wear much longer than a denim jacket.
Most of the reproductions these days are way longer than I'd like. I love the original lenght on these jackets and also leather jackets. I hate that they're modified to match low rise trousers.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the reproductions these days are way longer than I'd like. I love the original lenght on these jackets and also leather jackets. I hate that they're modified to match low rise trousers.
Seems like the length has varied over the decades. I think they got longer once they introduced hand-warmer pockets?

The only cropped jackets I think look genuinely bad are the Valstarino ones. Big bulky pockets right by the waist, same with many bomber jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads