• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I ask for opinions on a black corduroy suit? I’m not thinking of Drakes corduroy games/dinner jacket mashup which felt a touch too gimmicky to me, but just a standard SB, 2 button, probably quite softly structured set up.
The combination of stark colour and soft material (plus corduroy’s ability to appear different colours depending on the light) makes me think it would be a great option for the ‘dinner suit’ type of clothing that keeps coming up at the moment.
Have I lost the plot? Or is this a stroke of genius?
I would be worried that black corduroy, especially in fine to medium wales, will register as velvet.

View attachment 1736972
I had a wonderful black wide wale corduroy jacket from Engineered Garments that I never wore because it looked so much like velvet.

karmaguy

Reaction score

'patanoster

Reaction score
I would be worried that black corduroy, especially in fine to medium wales, will register as velvet.

View attachment 1736972
I had a wonderful black wide wale corduroy jacket from Engineered Garments that I never wore because it looked so much like velvet.

OK chaps, I'll bite... is velvet bad?

I do appreciate that it would be... a look. I had thought a finer wale might look less plush than a wide wale, and so avoid looking too soft.

Would charcoal cord safer? I had originally thought I'd stick with a more classic dark brown, but something about a black or dark grey appealed.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My black cord suit

187D502D-61C1-4FF2-B348-D8A3584D6321.jpeg 95FF5A4C-48E3-4691-ACC3-3B53AC1D9F9A.jpeg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All Sage de Cret

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me pondering what in means to wear tailored clothing in an ever casualized society
3379BB4D-D3A0-42FF-A0BE-83F9109EF408.jpeg

also I have a midnight blue thin wale corduroy suit that reads very velvety and I really like it for wearing out to a nice dinner or evening event (or at least I did when I did those things pre March 2020

vespertiliovir

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@karmaguy it’s possible those are the “sienna” colorway from a few seasons ago. I have a pair. I haven’t seen in person what NMWA is carrying, but sienna seems warmer and redder. Although I would probably prefer the NMWA version, I like my pair and wear them all the time. Of course, maybe I’m wrong and those are something else entirely!

94D886A1-ABA1-42ED-80BD-D6C16106A64D.jpeg

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I ask for opinions on a black corduroy suit? I’m not thinking of Drakes corduroy games/dinner jacket mashup which felt a touch too gimmicky to me, but just a standard SB, 2 button, probably quite softly structured set up.
The combination of stark colour and soft material (plus corduroy’s ability to appear different colours depending on the light) makes me think it would be a great option for the ‘dinner suit’ type of clothing that keeps coming up at the moment.
Have I lost the plot? Or is this a stroke of genius?
I prefer Zegna's CashCo. It has a bit of cashmere in it, which gives it a softer, spring-back quality not present in pure cotton. It's also a more uniform color. I like 75113 (brown-gray) and 75107 (fox brown)

View attachment 1722361

75113 looks very modern and chic to me when made into a suit. 75107 is good if you want something more traditional.

View attachment 1722362

Flannels can be had from a range of places -- Huddersfield Fine Worsted, Huddersfield Textiles, Fox Brothers, Drapers, Holland & Sherry, etc. I think they can all be fine. Would just get swatches and see what you like.

Greg‘s black cord suit shows it definitely can be done, other options are the grey above, and navy.

Im thinking about a two piece in the Zegna 75113 (grey ish brown) next fall.

karmaguy

Reaction score
@karmaguy it’s possible those are the “sienna” colorway from a few seasons ago. I have a pair. I haven’t seen in person what NMWA is carrying, but sienna seems warmer and redder. Although I would probably prefer the NMWA version, I like my pair and wear them all the time. Of course, maybe I’m wrong and those are something else entirely!

View attachment 1737094

nah I think you’re right! They also look really solid here so I probably will pull the trigger on em thanks

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anglo Italian has a gunmetal cord they were supposed to send me a sample of when I ordered a sport coat length of a FW jacketing.

vanmosh

Reaction score
Starting to think about Spring and Summer additions. Joyce is one of the brands I discovered through DWW but unfortunately never had the chance to purchase anything more than a lab coat before they shut things down. Derek, are you aware if the folks behind Joyce started anything new?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads