• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I for one am interested in learning more. Are there any long-form resources you would recommend or could point me to?

When you say this, do you mean just in clothing, or in general? I've always thought the blue/orange color combination worked strikingly well for team logos/uniforms and is surprisingly underused (in that arena). But I don't know if the 'rules' on saturation/intensity would be different in that case.
1) A lot of painting books. Nothing clothing specific, and the application of these principles to clothing isn't obvious. Maybe I'll do a thread some other time. There are a lot of points to be made when it comes to CM. Jacket, shirt, tie alone is super complicated.

2) A lot is about specifics. As I said, complements can be really awesome together. They just can be messed up if not done right (compare Christmas red and green with the red and green of a rose). If you are thinking of something like the Miami Dolphins, they use a lighter value (value=darkness) blue that they have greened up a bit. The orange is also a bit more of a cream orange (leans more yellow than red) and it is also lightened up in value. Compare that with the below which looks pretty bad, IMO.
1634190742631.png

acapaca

Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of Denver Broncos, where the blue is more navy? Or I guess Boise State may be similar, but with a lighter shade of blue? Miami I would tend to think of as closer to teal or turquoise than navy?

Speaking of uniforms, I wonder if you know much about the Dallas Cowboys one. Supposedly their home unis used a really greenish shade of light blue for the pants (for most of their existence) because Tex Schramm thought it played better on TV. But now they have changed to something more greyish, I believe.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of Denver Broncos, where the blue is more navy? Or I guess Boise State may be similar, but with a lighter shade of blue? Miami I would tend to think of as closer to teal or turquoise than navy?

Speaking of uniforms, I wonder if you know much about the Dallas Cowboys one. Supposedly their home unis used a really greenish shade of light blue for the pants (for most of their existence) because Tex Schramm thought it played better on TV. But now they have changed to something more greyish, I believe.
Right. You have to tone down at least one of the complements to make it work. Navy is toned down considerably. Ideally the toned down color should be more prevalent.

Interesting factoid. Never heard that before. I think it goes to a point that is underrecognized on here: what plays well on a screen doesn't necessarily play well in-person. Things that look good on a screen often look jarring IRL. Consider those Dolphins uniforms. They look pretty good on tv, and are easy to follow from the stands, but if you ever see a civilian wearing one up close...it stands out a ton. Super bold. Very strong. Not appealing. Same with most jerseys. They are just too bright and bold, especially with their weird shiny material that goes well with absolutely nothing else.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
I've been wearing RRL jeans a lot. Mine are a slim-straight model from a few years ago. I also like Wrangler's Wranchers, which are a flared bootcut "jean." Jean is in quotations because the pants are actually made from pure polyester. But I dig them.

Levi's has a bootcut model called the 517. I don't have any experience with them, but I've seen some cool outfits with them online.
Thanks, I'll check those out! I figured RRL had to have a bootcut jean, but the way they name them appears otherwise. I'll go look into those. 🤘

StaticProgression

Reaction score

Cowboys fan, the silver is definitely more of a silver, I see what you're getting at, I think it's the material + how it looks under all the lights. That's interesting though, had no idea about the old pants colors.

Side note: Boise State's field + color combos are eye-searing. That blue-orange square posted above is dead-on I think.

clemente21

Reaction score
I will say, Ropers rock, Tecovas is awesome for what it is, and I thought the suggestion list was solid. With that being said, did you come across any denim or pants you liked that worked with your boots?
With my Jonahs I find that 60s cuts work pretty well - so no cuffing, mild taper, that kind of thing. A lot of the Snake Oil Provisions jeans work, the Iron Heart 555 and the Mister Freedom 674s for example

StaticProgression

Reaction score
With my Jonahs I find that 60s cuts work pretty well - so no cuffing, mild taper, that kind of thing. A lot of the Snake Oil Provisions jeans work, the Iron Heart 555 and the Mister Freedom 674s for example
Thank you! Will check those out. The funniest thing happened while researching - I have the Stag exclusive Pecos from back a few years ago, so glad I snagged those, wish I could find the black roughout too. Anyways, I was looking at Imogene + Willie and the model shots are my exact boots! So may try those, I think they look great. It's the Henry model, which is a 50s cut, so you're on to something.

1634232492364.png

clemente21

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on where to sell a Lee's 101-J and a Storm Rider? (Both Die Workwear selections). They are both early 70s versions - figure SF isn't the place but places like DenimBro or whatever don't deal with a lot of actual vintage stuff. Trying to avoid eBay.

jaaz16

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on where to sell a Lee's 101-J and a Storm Rider? (Both Die Workwear selections). They are both early 70s versions - figure SF isn't the place but places like DenimBro or whatever don't deal with a lot of actual vintage stuff. Trying to avoid eBay.
Etsy has a pretty decent vintage clothing market.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd try Fedora Lounge.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Try Grailed too. Love grailed, been using it for 7 years give or take

clemente21

Reaction score
Try Grailed too. Love grailed, been using it for 7 years give or take
Huh interesting - I always think of Grailed as more Hypebeast than quality vintage, but I've haven't been over there in a number of years.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Huh interesting - I always think of Grailed as more Hypebeast than quality vintage, but I've haven't been over there in a number of years.
It gets a ton of traffic, and I think they're reputable. Worth cross-selling there I would think. I actually just snagged a few RRL shirts from there, so it's a lot more than just Off-White etc.

Last edited:

deanandrewj

Reaction score
Going to finally give Proper Cloth a try. Any thoughts or experience on either of these 3 ocbd fabrics? Think I may like the shade of the Thomas mason the best.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.