• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With fall rolling around and the office turning more casual, I'm started to eye up some sweaters for this year. I had originally earmarked this heavy navy Donegal cardigan from O'Connells that I fell in love with for a self-birthday present since they were out of my size when I stumbled across it last year. But after not seeing a re-stock and following up with them over the phone, it seems that they are forgoing this piece this year due to supply chain issues.

Anyone have any idea where I can find something similar to this?

View attachment 1662862
^ I have the Scott & Charters version from NMWA bookmarked in my brain for when it drops. Pricey as all hell, but everyone that has it seems to love it.
Second (enthusiastic) endorsement for NMWA's Scott & Charters. The price jumped to $500-ish over the passed year, up from $400, I'm guessing because of Brexit-related matters. But still worth it! I have two wool cardigans, with an incoming cashmere MTO this fall.

You could try Drake's. Also made in Scotland, but much more expensive (even on Archive Sale), and I'm guessing a different maker than S&C. The wool is not as thick.
Mine are solids, though NMWA also sold two with "Donegal" flecks last year.
Our S&C cardigans are $495 before SF10 discount, so $445.50 after SF10. I think it's a crazy bargain for the quality of yarns they use (T&D) and the sheer amount of wool (6 ply). They are owned by Begg now so maybe next year will see price increases.

There are cheaper knits out there (and agents and makers love to pitch them to us and send us samples) and there are more expensive ones. Not a whole lot out there that is as good and as good of value as these S&C. I think we're on the right horse. I know it's always hard to know these things without the benefit of being exposed to all the offerings all the time. I'd just say that we have no affiliation with S&C (or any other maker we use), we're maker-agnostic and that we always have the choice to buy something else. There is a reason we choose one over others.

Third (or fourth? Fifth?) enthusiastic rec for S&C. The Donegal introduced last year (or the year before) will fit this niche, the solids are great as well.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just one thing to mention: we don't do leather buttons on our shawl cardigans. We've always asked S&C to replace them with flat horn buttons. So that's one detail to keep in mind when shopping for those. Also keep an eye on the description to see if you're buying a 4-ply or 6-ply piece. There's a difference in thickness/plushiness - and cost too.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just one thing to mention: we don't do leather buttons on our shawl cardigans. We've always asked S&C to replace them with flat horn buttons. So that's one detail to keep in mind when shopping for those. Also keep an eye on the description to see if you're buying a 4-ply or 6-ply piece. There's a difference in thickness/plushiness - and cost too.
Yes, this is important - Winston & Co., who I linked to on the previous page, also use S&C, but they only do 4-ply cardigans. Their cardigans are also slimmer than NMWA's version, although still a bit fuller than Lockie at TTS, but I prefer the fuller cut of the S&C's sold by NMWA or Colhay's. (Colhay's is also 6-ply.)

Another option if you're looking for Lockie cardigans (in lambswool, camelhair, or cashmere) at a good price is A Hume--under £200 for lambswool once VAT is taken off, but their shipping costs to North America are murder.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After having done a fair amount of research on shawl-neck cardis, I will agree that S&C are all-around the best choice. William Lockie cardigans are nice as well, but I don't like the pattern of the shawl collar. It's much stiffer and doesn't has that nice roll of S&C. That, and the leather buttons, makes the WL cardigan cross over into old man sweater territory for me. I'm quite happy with my two S&C cardigans, one from NMWA and one from a defunct shop in the UK.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With fall rolling around and the office turning more casual, I'm started to eye up some sweaters for this year. I had originally earmarked this heavy navy Donegal cardigan from O'Connells that I fell in love with for a self-birthday present since they were out of my size when I stumbled across it last year. But after not seeing a re-stock and following up with them over the phone, it seems that they are forgoing this piece this year due to supply chain issues.

Anyone have any idea where I can find something similar to this?

View attachment 1662862

Try https://www.cordings.co.uk/navy-donegal-shawl-collar-cardigan.html

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would look like a 12 yo boy with one of these. Hard pass.

I do think they can look good with relaxed clothing, or with a formal attire if you are so alpha that your alpha-ness is indisputable.

A sweater-vest from the Gap was the first piece of clothing I ever really bought for myself. I was probably around that age and was beta as ****. I really own being beta- definitely growing into it.

duffyfluffy123

Reaction score
If people are fans of Scott & Charters style of cardigan, but in Cashmere.
I personally don't have any experience, but can recommend on taking a look to this shop in Ireland.
Been open for 60 years+ and owner still alive at 95.
https://monaghanscashmere.ie/
and for the cardigan https://monaghanscashmere.ie/collections/mens-contemporary-cashmere-1/products/13294
If I'm not mistaken its 10 ply.
They use to have quite lacking webstore, but has continually been improved and now selection is widest its been + also it's much easier to browse it.
Seems quite promising.
Some pictures of the cardigan in action

Second brand to mention is made of alpaca more "contemporary look" is a brand from Finland called Alpa knitwear.
It is lighter, made of 4ply alpaca hair and collar is 6ply. Comes in 3 different colors.
Don't have experience, but ever since finding it before any reviews it caught my eye.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of heavy Irish knits, does anyone have any experience with O’Maille’s aran knits? I’ve reached out to commission one but would like to know how the process went for others.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of heavy Irish knits, does anyone have any experience with O’Maille’s aran knits? I’ve reached out to commission one but would like to know how the process went for others.

I bought one from O'Maille about a year ago. It's a relatively slow process, but less expensive than I was expecting. Once you select your pattern and color Anne will assign your sweater to a knitter. It may be #1 in her queue or it may be #5. You can give as many or as few measurements as you want. I gave a few, but not too many, simply saying a normal size 42" chest would work for me, but that I needed a shorter in the length and arms. I normally wear a 40S suit. I got a roll neck in oatmeal. The wool is scratchier than something from Inis Meain. It's still got lanolin in the wool. It's also very heavy. It probably weighs twice as much as my Inis Meain merino Aran. The arms length came out perfect as did the chest size. It's a little more room in the waist than I am used to - it's not tapered, more straight down from the chest.

The knitting is incredibly textured and deep. It doesn't have the same issues with pilling that I have had with Inis Meain merino or Scott and Charters lambswool sweaters. Perhaps it's the lanolin or the gauge, I don't know enough about knitting and wool to say why. And, both of those are better than cheaper sweaters I used to have regarding pilling. The only thing that competes in terms of resistance to pilling is a couple vintage Drumohr and Pringle cashmere sweaters that I bought second hand.

There's not a lot of communication throughout the process. Only the early stuff with selection and measurement, then once it's assigned the wait begins. Eventually, and right around the time Anne originally promised, she got back in touch to say that it was almost done and confirmed the shipping information. Shipping was relatively slow. I know the last administration was putting lots of restrictions on wool imports from the EU, so maybe that was a factor on the US side.

I like the dark natural color too and may eventually get a different pattern in that color.

Last edited:

Racing Green

Reaction score
Haha Summer hits different in northern parts of Europe. Its not all fun and sunshine over here :)

Should probably read "chilly Irish summer days" which are more common than not. ;)

driving glove

Reaction score
Very engaging post at DWW on George Wang's new tailoring concept with an interesting prologue from the world of art. There is "a lot of meat on the bone" in your writing, Derek and it has gotten even better over time.

Reactions: Gus

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads