• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

upsett1_spaghett1

Reaction score
I second this request! I also struggle with what to wear on those occasions -- for example, I always feel like the squarest-dressed man at a concert. I bought a black cafe racer a couple of years ago, because black leather looks good at night, but don't know what to wear it with -- essentially all of my casual shoes are brown or tan; an OCBD feels too dressy; a flannel shirt feels like too much of a contrast of sensibilities.
Turtleneck or white t-shirt (depending on weather), slim jeans and tan suede Chelsea boots

kjb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Birdwells look awesome, but I'm worried they'll be too tight in the thighs for me... is there some room in the thigh area?
I have decent sized thighs and these are comfortable but are slim on me. But generally anything under a 13” thigh would be slim on me.

ezev

Reaction score
@dieworkwear in the spirit of a hopeful to return to normal life in the near future, I was thinking I’d love to see a post on what to wear when “going out” at night. I recognize this is largely dependent on where and the formality of what you’re doing but I’ve always found this to be a challenging niche in the journey of dressing better. Neither regular daytime casual wear (raw denim, flannels, chore coats/field jackets etc) or more conservative office clothes (Navy sport with ocbd) are the right vibe if I’m headed to out to a cool new restaurant, dimly lit bar, or show. I know their are some “smart” casual, and darker/tonal dressing principles in some older posts but I think it’d be cool to see something focused on this concept. That open DB serge sport coat with the vintage tee and beat up jeans look from your last post look would be a cool place to start.
speaking of that post with the open double breasted and vintage tee underneath. Which post did that come from? I was looking for it the other day and couldn't remember it. can anyone link it here?

kjb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
based on my experiences in the early aughts, this is the only "going out" outfit you need

1619097245513.png

(either one size too big or one size too small, leave untucked and preferably unbuttoned so everyone can see your A shirt underneath)

1619097266248.png

(make sure you don't get these hemmed, looks best when 3 inches of fabric pools at the bottom)

1619097367579.png

sole accessory

1619097407590.png

Last edited:

deanandrewj

Reaction score
@kjb as a Philly native and occasional Jersey shore go-er I was all too familiar with seeing this getup haha. Thankfully never participated. And yeah, certainly not looking for the “what do I wear to the club” post from DWW, I’m in my thirties and well beyond those days haha.

deanandrewj

Reaction score
speaking of that post with the open double breasted and vintage tee underneath. Which post did that come from? I was looking for it the other day and couldn't remember it. can anyone link it here?
Excited to wear this spring, most current post

kjb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@kjb as a Philly native and occasional Jersey shore go-er I was all too familiar with seeing this getup haha. Thankfully never participated. And yeah, certainly not looking for the “what do I wear to the club” post from DWW, I’m in my thirties and well beyond those days haha.
hahaha spent my college days in manayunk and philly. too many nights on 2nd st in old city informed that post. and yeah this is totally a joke but anytime i hear the term "going out clothes" this is all i can think of.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite "going out at night" fit is navy long-sleeve polo, SB navy blazer, white/off-white jeans, suede boots or loafers (chukkas usually). My go-to polo is the old Lupo from Eidos but otherwise I'd do one with a cutaway collar like those amazing Armoury ones.
It's perfect for almost every type of outing that the phrase "going out" generally entails for me (though I probably wouldn't go to a concert dressed like this).

Wrenkin

Reaction score
The post probably tipped me over the edge towards getting some Tecovas. It’s a bit annoying that they don’t ship to Canada but I can proxy.

I think I like suede, but I’m not sure whether to get the side zips or dive right in and get some full-height boots. I used to have a pair of Frye engineer boots a decade ago and liked them, so maybe I’ll go back to a taller model.
Never mind. Talked myself into getting some tan ostrich ropers on eBay. No half measures.

Probably seconds or returns to Tecovas because the seller's sold about 200 pairs so far this year. Mine seem fine if a little wrinkly, and with one dark spot on the inside heel. They arrived loose in a box and stuffed with USPS bubble mailers. For US $125 I can't complain.

They are comfortable FWIW. The heel slip is disconcerting but I've had boots before so I'm sure it'll work itself out. Also, if anyone's wondering, the tan colour is not as yellow as some of the photos I've seen suggest.

karmaguy

Reaction score
Small unrelated note: trunk clothiers added some camoshita pieces to their shop. First place I’ve seen selling new spring stuff from camoshita so far...

upsett1_spaghett1

Reaction score
(though I probably wouldn't go to a concert dressed like this).
I think this fit would work awesome for date night at a tapas bar, but if you went to half the concerts I do dressed like that you would get robbed.
I just got a vintage Gucci black velvet blazer, bring on the night. cocaine
FTFY
They are comfortable FWIW. The heel slip is disconcerting but I've had boots before so I'm sure it'll work itself out.
When I used to ride horses we would fix that by soaking your boots in a bathtub then wearing them till they dry out.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good read, and very useful lookbook from the Armoury. Pushed me to try out the Model 7 Solbiati, which is just great.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy