• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

StaticProgression

Reaction score
I agree, the idea of patchwork always appealed to me, but it was always so in your face. Summer, fine. For a winter coat it would be ridiculous but these muted colors are so pleasant, they tone down the haphazard patterns of all the bits and pieces that make it up.

+ @FlyingHorker

Bringing up the patchwork thing again, I do think it just works better in non-bright varieties. I just bought this Universal Works Jacket (pretty great deal with the END 20% off, I might add) and I think it's a lot easier to wear. This proved it to me as I have been thinking about that more since it was discussed. This might not count as full-on patchwork I suppose, but it's a similar vibe (in the sense of differing panels).

1611611378659.png

However, I still think that Bal is perfect, from a distance, hard to even tell it's patchwork, at least in photos.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+ @FlyingHorker

Bringing up the patchwork thing again, I do think it just works better in non-bright varieties. I just bought this Universal Works Jacket (pretty great deal with the END 20% off, I might add) and I think it's a lot easier to wear. This proved it to me as I have been thinking about that more since it was discussed. This might not count as full-on patchwork I suppose, but it's a similar vibe (in the sense of differing panels).

View attachment 1542805

However, I still think that Bal is perfect, from a distance, hard to even tell it's patchwork, at least in photos.
That's a nice jacket, I dig it and would probably wear it.

I was trying to think of the correct word for wearable patchwork anything, and I think it's "tonal."

Most of these jackets don't really have any differing/jarring tones, so it feels congruent.

One day I'm going to buy some kind of patchwork denim jacket too. This is brighter, but I think it works.

IMG_7818_1024x1024.jpg

I think @Gerry Nelson has one that definitely caught my eye.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
That's a nice jacket, I dig it and would probably wear it.

I was trying to think of the correct word for wearable patchwork anything, and I think it's "tonal."

Most of these jackets don't really have any differing/jarring tones, so it feels congruent.

One day I'm going to buy some kind of patchwork denim jacket too. This is brighter, but I think it works.

IMG_7818_1024x1024.jpg

I think @Gerry Nelson has one that definitely caught my eye.

Yeah tonal is a good word for it. Man, I love that one. yeah, a denim jacket with patchwork would be awesome - all blue shades to keep it clean.

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Blue Blue Japan patchwork chore coat is one my favorite things in my whole wardrobe. I’d love one of the Beams Plus patchwork coats at some point in the future as well (holding out hope they reissue the brown tweed one at some point).
44FF65C9-62BB-4499-A3AF-23F896CA1176.jpeg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Blue Blue Japan patchwork chore coat is one my favorite things in my whole wardrobe. I’d love one of the Beams Plus patchwork coats at some point in the future as well (holding out hope they reissue the brown tweed one at some point). View attachment 1542885
Oh this is nice as hell. Ok, definitely going with Blue Blue Japan in the future, they do this well.

Do they regularly put out pieces like this every year, or is it a rare drop type of deal?

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh this is nice as hell. Ok, definitely going with Blue Blue Japan in the future, they do this well.

Do they regularly put out pieces like this every year, or is it a rare drop type of deal?

It's a standard offering as far as I can tell. they have two versions:
tumblr_oikxk58djn1s5fve2o3_500.jpg

tumblr_po2t5ejXLU1s5fve2o3_500.jpg

The lower one is more lightweight while the top one is made of thick 'gi' fabric.

Speaking of patchwork, I'm wearing it in the form of this shirt today:
d6ed46390b6ff0e2f1e5ad0c6d7b6b0c85a17be7.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The lower one is more lightweight while the top one is made of thick 'gi' fabric.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Now I don't have to hunt things down on grailed.

Both jackets look wonderful, and the shirt does too.

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Available right now at a discounted price

Or

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I played Judo, the uwagi (jacket) came in two weights. The single was for practice. The double weave was for tournaments. It was much thicker and therefore harder to get a grip on. Some tournaments required a blue gi as well as white to distinguish the competitors. I wonder if these fabrics are made in the same mills as the Mizuno gis. The pants are a smooth cotton.

Mizuno_Yusho_Comp_Gis_0003s_0001s_0006_ijf_blue_2015_yusho_new_hs_small_13_1600x1600.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I love the PRL patchwork coat I’m still pining after either one of these from Stoffa:

View attachment 1542899
That looks pretty slick. Is it MTO/MTM only if it's Stoffa?
Available right now at a discounted price

Or

Thanks for the heads up man. It's always even more tempting when you've been eyeing something for a while, and THEN it goes on sale.

Unfortunately I'm broke :crazy:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
When I played Judo, the uwagi (jacket) came in two weights. The single was for practice. The double weave was for tournaments. It was much thicker and therefore harder to get a grip on. Some tournaments required a blue gi as well as white to distinguish the competitors. I wonder if these fabrics are made in the same mills as the Mizuno gis. The pants are a smooth cotton.

View attachment 1542905
So, that’s your formal gi?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BBJ actually puts out a different indigo patchwork jacket every season. They have one every season but the materials and even shapes vary. Each season’s patch jacket is unique to that season

StaticProgression

Reaction score
As much as I love the PRL patchwork coat I’m still pining after either one of these from Stoffa:

View attachment 1542899

those are awesome. But I have no idea what I’d wear them with, but they’re so cool it’s worth building some outfits around. I also can’t decide which one - long or short - I would prefer more!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics