• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hybrid shoulder, unfortunately, made me wish for a proper raglan shoulder, and I ended up sending it to @SpooPoker. The price/quality ratio is excellent though.

@StaticProgression FWIW I think it looks good on you but might benefit from subtracting an inch or so from the sleeves. I had to do the same thing.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
@StaticProgression

Single breasted, fly-front, hybrid raglan/set-in sleeve, shirt collar, hand warmer pockets.

Yep that's a Balmacaan. The only differing aspect is the hybrid shoulder from the usual pure raglan shoulder coats.

DSCF5656.jpg
The hybrid shoulder, unfortunately, made me wish for a proper raglan shoulder, and I ended up sending it to @SpooPoker. The price/quality ratio is excellent though.

@StaticProgression FWIW I think it looks good on you but might benefit from subtracting an inch or so from the sleeves. I had to do the same thing.

Hey, if you gave the sleeves a green light, that's enough for me. But maybe I will send it off if it ever bothers me.

I feel like part of the charm of such a slouchy (for lack of a better word) coat is that it's not perfectly tailored or worn closed, so I think it'll be fine.

For as often as I get to wear coats in the southern climate, it serves the purpose I want it to as my one long coat. It sadly doesn't get to come out very often, especially not in 2020. Which is why I am testing out the jeans and a casual coat look lately, and surprisingly don't hate it!

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going back to Shaker knits, does anyone have a recommendation about where to get a wooden Shaker knit crew neck sweater. Derek linked to a cream one from Sid Mashburn but the rest are cotton.

jaaz16

Reaction score

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is much help @Gerry Nelson, but I have this wool one from Howlin from a few seasons ago (https://www.endclothing.com/us/howlin-better-world-rib-crew-knit-hln-bttrwrldknt-cm.html)

I didn’t realize it was a shaker knit until reading Derek’s post and re-reading the product description. Anyway, it’s one of my favorite sweaters ever because of how light and surprisingly warm it is (even if I didn’t originally know what the actual style was called ;))

Thanks for that!

Calanon

Reaction score
Is the first image in this article the actual Sierra Designs one, or from another brand? I really like the snaps on the pockets.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is the first image in this article the actual Sierra Designs one, or from another brand? I really like the snaps on the pockets.

Been so long since I posted that, I don't remember. But I vaguely recall they were a Sierra Designs parka made for the Japanese market.

Calanon

Reaction score
Been so long since I posted that, I don't remember. But I vaguely recall they were a Sierra Designs parka made for the Japanese market.
Well, that makes things even harder then.
I guess I'll stick with my fishtail parka unless I ever stumble upon one of these.

emynd

Reaction score
obviously this isn’t a traditional Balmacaan, but this Todd Snyder coat is a fun fabric and has the raglan sleeves, collar, and pretty good length that most people like about Balmacaans. With an extra 40% off the current $499 sale price, it may be worth taking a chance on:

Shot_22_009_R_2000x.jpg

they also have a pretty nice brown donegal one that’s more traditional for around $480 after that 40% off discount:

Shot_16_003_R_2000x.jpg

slows2k

Reaction score
they also have a pretty nice brown donegal one that’s more traditional for around $480 after that 40% off discount:

Shot_16_003_R_2000x.jpg

That brown one is really nice looking. When they dropped it this year I wondered if it was a PWVC makeup. It looks a ringer for the PWVC/PS pattern. I only wish they had actual garment size charts. I would probably buy a lot more from TS if they did.

Dadacantona

Reaction score
There was an updated Sierra Designs parka made for the Japanese market, but the jacket in the article isn’t it. The Japanese Sierra is shorter than the original and has a vertical chest pocket on the right side, whereas both chest pockets are patch and flap on the original.
For what it’s worth I think the Sierra Designs parka is such a great, versatile jacket. Just as good for a walk in the woods as it is for a quick trip to the shops or the pub.
One thing to look out for on vintage models is the sleeves are unbelievably short.

flashjack

Reaction score
@StaticProgression

Single breasted, fly-front, hybrid raglan/set-in sleeve, shirt collar, hand warmer pockets.

Yep that's a Balmacaan. The only differing aspect is the hybrid shoulder from the usual pure raglan shoulder coats.

DSCF5656.jpg
I might have missed it, but where is this photo from? That looks fantastic.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dadacantona

Reaction score
Oh I didn't post the source, I got it from here.

I suppose this is a personal preference, but i think a balmacaan should be quite a bit longer and quite a bit roomier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads