• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks.
Slight slimming would probably improve the unbelted silhouette the most I think, especially by the bottom.

I don't think the upper sleeves can be slimmed unfortunately, the armhole itself is enormous and quite low, would probably need to recut the coat.
I actually like it as-is, except for the sleeve length. Classic bals were meant to be oversized for ease of layering and movement, as opposed to a topcoat. Fitted bals seem very 2010 #menswear

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks.

I actually like it as-is, except for the sleeve length. Classic bals were meant to be oversized for ease of layering and movement, as opposed to a topcoat. Fitted bals seem very 2010 #menswear
I'll probably mull on it for a while before altering anything so I get a good idea on what I like/dislike and taking into account people's feedback.

Sleeve length will be the most likely alteration.

greenhouse

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting bals that are not $1500? Magee gets so close with their corrib, but they add embroidering under the back of the collar and add a quilted lining. I don't want either. Ring jacket makes almost exactly what I want color and proportion wise, but it's way too much money. Also needs a slightly larger collar. Is there anything that fits this?

Nbarbar

Reaction score
I don’t know of anywhere good & cheap. I still think about a Connolly Bal I didn’t buy in London.
If it’s a good one, I would spent the money.

Where are you guys getting bals that are not $1500? Magee gets so close with their corrib, but they add embroidering under the back of the collar and add a quilted lining. I don't want either. Ring jacket makes almost exactly what I want color and proportion wise, but it's way too much money. Also needs a slightly larger collar. Is there anything that fits this?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Permanent Style one is around $1,000. I have the first iteration, which doesn't seem to be available anymore, and I really like it, particularly the collar. The second version is sold out in most sizes. Simon does rerun things from time to time.

slows2k

Reaction score
The Permanent Style one is around $1,000. I have the first iteration, which doesn't seem to be available anymore, and I really like it, particularly the collar. The second version is sold out in most sizes. Simon does rerun things from time to time.

I'll second this one. Wore mine this morning for the first time this year and was reminded of how much I like it. You can also check the PWVC site; they sell it there too and sometimes have more sizes available than PS.

edit: https://www.privatewhitevc.com/products/the-donegal-overcoat?variant=32879819325501

Theres also the Cordings version Simon had that he used as a style template for his collaboration: https://www.cordings.co.uk/bark-herringbone-donegal-follifoot-coat.html

Looks sort of frumpy on the website but it looks great on the couple of people on instagram I have seen with it. Appears to be a great value.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this post.
There are loads of options.

1) The best ones I have seen (at least in pictures) this season--and in quite some time for that matter--are from Andrea Seoul. They are made up by Ring Jacket and seem to get the details right. Here are some pictures of their models: 1, 2, 3, 4. They have more fabrics, but I think these ones look the nicest.

2) Permanent Style has a balmacaan made by Private White VC

3) Simon Crompton and Douglas Cordeaux both have a balmacaan from Cordings. This one is in a different fabric, but I think they get the details right and the price is certainly attractive. Here are some pictures of it, albeit in a different fabric: 1, 2, 3, 4.

4) Ben Silver has this one. I think it's made by Chrysalis. As I note below, I think the reversible coats can be hard to put on and many of the reversible Chrysalis ones I have seen have looked a bit less substantial than I would like.

5) O'Connell's has a number of balmacaans: 1, 2, 3, plus a number from Chrysalis. The fabrics on the first 3 look particularly nice.

6) The Armoury has this one from Coherence in a couple colors, though it is much more expensive than the other models I have linked to.

7) Tweed in Stockholm has this one from Chrysalis. The details--the fabric, belt, and patch pockets--make it a bit more interesting.

8) There are the two that Drake's has this season: 1, 2.

I have seen other models this season, but these are the ones that look best to me.

My own balmacaan is a vintage Paul Stuart piece. It's reversible: raincoat/cotton twill on one side and Donegal on the other. I have been thinking about getting the raincoat side lined, though, to make it easier to slip on. Chrysalis makes something similar, but their tweed seems much less substantial. I also have a belted balmacaan that I bought new, but I am not as much a fan of it: it is less substantial, the details aren't as good, and I think the belted thing looks better in pics than in person.

I'd add these 2 as well

9) Thomas Farthing London. DavidLane on here bought it recently and posted pictures ITT. Lighter weight, but cotton lining, so not as nice for slipping it on. I like to think a lining shouldn't be too expensive or hard to replace.

10) Spier & Mackay. Lots of pictures on this one currently in the S&M thread. Only flaw is the belt covers the top third of the handwarmer pocket.

ssmart3

Reaction score
11) I would add this Harris Tweed one from Timothy Everest to the list of balmacaans. I recently picked it up, and it really is fantastic.

More pics on their Instagram. The stock photo on their website (reproduced below) does not quite do it justice, I feel. The Instagram shots do a bit better job, but I think it’s best in person.

1608406684074.png

Re: sizing, I am a 40R and can fit a size M over a natural-shouldered BrooksTweed sport coat quite comfortably. I also tried on the size L, and it looked good as well, albeit perhaps a bit contemporary on me being quite oversized.

greenhouse

Reaction score
I'll second this one. Wore mine this morning for the first time this year and was reminded of how much I like it. You can also check the PWVC site; they sell it there too and sometimes have more sizes available than PS.

edit: https://www.privatewhitevc.com/products/the-donegal-overcoat?variant=32879819325501

Theres also the Cordings version Simon had that he used as a style template for his collaboration: https://www.cordings.co.uk/bark-herringbone-donegal-follifoot-coat.html

Looks sort of frumpy on the website but it looks great on the couple of people on instagram I have seen with it. Appears to be a great value.
Bumping this post.

I'd add these 2 as well

9) Thomas Farthing London. DavidLane on here bought it recently and posted pictures ITT. Lighter weight, but cotton lining, so not as nice for slipping it on. I like to think a lining shouldn't be too expensive or hard to replace.

10) Spier & Mackay. Lots of pictures on this one currently in the S&M thread. Only flaw is the belt covers the top third of the handwarmer pocket.
11) I would add this Harris Tweed one from Timothy Everest to the list of balmacaans. I recently picked it up, and it really is fantastic.

More pics on their Instagram. The stock photo on their website (reproduced below) does not quite do it justice, I feel. The Instagram shots do a bit better job, but I think it’s best in person.

View attachment 1520072
Re: sizing, I am a 40R and can fit a size M over a natural-shouldered BrooksTweed sport coat quite comfortably. I also tried on the size L, and it looked good as well, albeit perhaps a bit contemporary on me being quite oversized.

Thanks everyone. Except for the Timothy Everest one, I have checked out all of these pieces whilst looking for what I want. They are all great (I especially like the spier one), but each is in a color far darker than I'm looking for (or is 1200+ from overseas, meaning I'd also get hit with import duties :(). I have so many navy / dark brown / dark moss green pieces of outerwear that basically make a bal redundant, yet only one light grey piece that is significantly more formal than a bal. If NMWA's Camoshita bal, which is the perfect color for me, wasn't $1,400~, I'd be all over it. Damn if that spier doesn't look good, though... I don't need a 5th balmacaan-like dark piece of outerwear, but it's really tempting, lol.

https://oconnellsclothing.com/outer...-oat-herringbone-ocon100-08774-sb-raglan.html is awesome -- exactly what I want, but $1,500 is above my budget. I'm trying to stay under $1k. I've bought so much during these recent black friday sales, NMWA's archive sale, and undoubtedly I will buy more during boxing day sales (I want the cream turtleneck from cordings). I don't think I can stomach plopping another 1.5k on top of that. Perhaps I need to run for senate so I can get in on some of that sweet, sweet insider trading.

Last edited:

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Except for the Timothy Everest one, I have checked out all of these pieces whilst looking for what I want. They are all great (I especially like the spier one), but each is in a color far darker than I'm looking for. I have so many navy / dark brown / dark moss green pieces of outerwear that basically make a bal redundant, yet only one light grey piece that is significantly more formal than a bal. If NMWA's Camoshita bal, which is the perfect color for me, wasn't $1,400~, I'd be all over it. Damn if that spier doesn't look good, though... I don't need a 5th balmacaan-like dark piece of outerwear, but it's really tempting, lol.

Cavour.co also has some bals.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@greenhouse Your woes are basically why I went for the colour I did, a lighter grey that isn't formal looking.

Do you happen to have a local tailor whom you trust to have one made for your budget? Worth looking into, or waiting another year.

I didn't like my tailor's sparse selection, so the good people at the Unfunded Liabilities/Cloth thread helped me find one. Tailor has to be willing to accept outside fabrics though.

I see you like Magee's Corrib coat. Worth e-mailing Magee to see if taking it to a tailor to get rid of the collar embroidery can be done. Replacing the lining sounds doable too. Hell, could also ask Despos in the tailor thread here.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You could try going vintage, whenever vintage shops open again. Thrift stores are full of classic coats in relatively good condition since heavy fabrics tend to last long. A bal coat fits relatively loose, so fit is less of a concern.

greenhouse

Reaction score
@greenhouse Your woes are basically why I went for the colour I did, a lighter grey that isn't formal looking.

Do you happen to have a local tailor whom you trust to have one made for your budget? Worth looking into, or waiting another year.

I didn't like my tailor's sparse selection, so the good people at the Unfunded Liabilities/Cloth thread helped me find one. Tailor has to be willing to accept outside fabrics though.

I see you like Magee's Corrib coat. Worth e-mailing Magee to see if taking it to a tailor to get rid of the collar embroidery can be done. Replacing the lining sounds doable too. Hell, could also ask Despos in the tailor thread here.

That's a good idea. I'll e-mail them. However, I may need to halt buying expensive items from overseas. Just received an empty box from Michael Jondral a few hours ago that was supposed to contain a nice cashmere sweater. Everything else intact. Either someone at customs opened the package, took the item, and managed to repackage perfectly (tape seems intact -- and michael jondral uses branded tape), or the person meant to package the item just kept it. Not sure how that wouldn't be detected when weighed, though, since the box weighs basically nothing.

Merry Christmas to whomever took it, I guess, lol.

Edit: Tape is not intact at all. I just didn't look at the bottom. Wife asked me to look, and it's obvious what happened. Too bad there's no way to know if the customer (me) did it or it was done before. Blargh.
20201219_163007.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member