• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're the royal family, I doubt they'd be wearing tattered/beat-up clothes. Once things show a certain amount of wear, they're likely replaced.

I think the opposite is true. Charles, Phillip and others are famous for wearing older, worn, and repaired clothing (both Barbour’s, and tailored clothing)

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the opposite is true. Charles, Phillip and others are famous for wearing older, worn, and repaired clothing (both Barbour’s, and tailored clothing)

The_More_You_Know_0-0_screenshot.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bit of both in real life. In 1992, the BBC aired a two hour documentary about a year in the life of the Queen. There's a scene where she can be seen driving a Land Rover while wearing a Barbour. The scene supposedly gave a huge boost to Barbour sales

Her Barbour looked quite pristine (although it's said that the jacket at this time was decades old).

queens-cars-land-rover-2.jpg
857fd305d7751d3aaf8ddc194ca7af5a.jpg

Also Princess Diana

the-prince-and-priness-of-wales-applauding-whilst-visiting-news-photo-1588705761.jpg

Phillip:

prince-philip-duke-of-edinburgh-windsor-horse-show-berkshire-england-uk-circa-1989-R82AP5.jpg

But there's also this famous photo of Charles in his patched up Barbour

prince-charles_2506266b.jpg
e8a3dc170f58d119fc928e7497bf8cd3.jpg

Although earlier in life:

67f16c6b4813a5bfabfe5274677e979a.jpg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhat related...
I always thought young Princess Anne was hot.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bit of both in real life. In 1992, the BBC aired a two hour documentary about a year in the life of the Queen. There's a scene where she can be seen driving a Land Rover while wearing a Barbour. The scene supposedly gave a huge boost to Barbour sales

Her Barbour looked quite pristine (although it's said that the jacket at this time was decades old).

View attachment 1512633 View attachment 1512634

Also Princess Diana

View attachment 1512637

Phillip:

View attachment 1512641

View attachment 1512638 View attachment 1512639

View attachment 1512640

I can't find it at the moment, but I remember reading an article semi recently (within the last year or two) about Prince Phillip and his bespoke clothing.

Apparently, instead of getting new pieces made, he took several pieces of tailored clothing (suits, trouser and sport coats) to his Row tailor to have them “slimmed and modernized”. They discussed how some of his trousers were very wide and he had them remade/slimmed, along with some updates to his suit jackets and sport coats (which I do not remember the details)

Also, can we all agree we need more kilts in MC?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't find it at the moment, but I remember reading an article semi recently (within the last year or two) about Prince Phillip and his bespoke clothing.

Apparently, instead of getting new pieces made, he took several pieces of tailored clothing (suits, trouser and sport coats) to his Row tailor to have them “slimmed and modernized”. They discussed how some of his trousers were very wide and he had them remade/slimmed, along with some updates to his suit jackets and sport coats (which I do not remember the details)

Also, can we all agree we need more kilts in MC?

I think you're thinking of this story.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1512633 View attachment 1512634

Also Princess Diana

View attachment 1512637

Phillip:

View attachment 1512641

View attachment 1512638 View attachment 1512639

View attachment 1512640

@dieworkwear have you ever thought of uploading your menswear/fashion photo library to a website so people can flip through and find ideas/examples?

I primarily go to Vox's tumbler but I would love to be able to cross reference both photo libraries

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're thinking of this story.

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

This is very likely the article, I could have sworn there was mention of suits and jackets as well….

Calanon

Reaction score
Am I misremembering or was there a DW article that mentioned navy Donegal tweed?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Am I misremembering or was there a DW article that mentioned navy Donegal tweed?

There may have been a mention or a photo somewhere, but I've never written a post just about navy Donegal tweed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads