• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SEH Kelly Balmacaan

balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-navy-1@2x.jpg

Scramm

Reaction score

Damn you Derek. I didn't need another excuse to get more knitwear. Now I have my eyes on an unnecessary sweatshirt, shaggy Jamieson's sweater, and chamula flag sweater...and somehow justifying it. "See honey, it was on Put This On"

Question for the group though, do you ever feel self-conscious wearing a college-branded sweatshirt (even if you do have an affiliation there)? Somehow I always get flashbacks to the 30rock episode about the one writer who went to 'Hah-vahd'
When I was still a student, I felt very self conscious of wearing college stuff outside of the confines of campus, so I didn't get any of the commemorative merch when I graduated. I regretted it a couple of years afterwards. Going to the J Press by Grand Central and seeing that my school was the one school that wasn't represented in any merch at the store was also quite a sting lmao, though we do have a token needlepoint belt online at least.

Back when I was in college we were all confused about why any alumni would want to buy the expensive version of the sweatshirt we all got for a nominal fee as seniors, but now, I get it.

Last edited:

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I used to think that wearing college merch is kind of corny, but I've changed my mind as I've gotten older and look back fondly on my college days. I think college merch can be nice, so long as you can find good college merch (the things sold in campus shops are usually terrible). I also suspect that no one cares if you're wearing something. If you went to a prestigious school and name drop all the time, then your sweatshirt or whatever will probably reinforce people's negative view of you. But if you're just a normal person and wear a college-branded sweatshirt, I think it's fine. How many times has anyone actually judged another person for wearing a college sweatshirt?

I didn't enjoy college at all when I was there, as I was in a very rigorous academic program that I just didn't have the maturity at the time to navigate smoothly, but I graduated ("not summa *** laude. I graduated thank you Lordy," to quote the great, and very well-dressed, Shannon Sharpe) and now that I've actually experienced a fair share of life, those were in hindsight some relatively carefree times that I don't mind holding onto a little bit. All my apparel is campus shop stuff, worn out from wearing it every day in college, a size too big because I enjoyed dining hall buffets too much, and generally not super presentable, but for nostalgic reasons, I still throw it on to go to the gym or a hike or something, and it's always fun to run into another alum in the crowd.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many times has anyone actually judged another person for wearing a college sweatshirt?

I work in higher ed and have hoodies from the places that I've worked that I wear in appropriate circumstances, not really in places that would be out of the ordinary enough that it would become a topic of discussion. Its rare that someone addresses it directly, but it does happen occasionally, and of the times that people bring attention to it, its generally been in one of two ways (both judge-y), whether its a total stranger or an acquaintance

Them: Did you really go to XXXX?
Me: No, but I worked there for a couple of years.
Them: (disappointedly) Oh...

or

Them: Look at smarty pants over here who went to XXXX
Me: Oh, I didn't go there but I worked there a couple of years
Them: What, are you trying to fake it and act smart or something by wearing that?

J Press by Grand Central and seeing that my school was the one school that wasn't represented in any merch at the store was also quite a sting lmao,

I would imagine this has much more to do with licensing deals than reputation, I notice that some schools are are much more protective of their branding that others...I've even worked at institutions where a certain letter-logo design was only able to be used by the athletic department, I couldn't even use it on my student staff shirts or any other official items without sign off from the VP who oversaw branding

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There I fixed that for you! :)
Any Longhorn fan should be ashamed of their ****** athletic program. All that money and talent for no championships. Texas will continue to be **** in any sport that matters until they get rid of the Longhorn Network.

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Longhorn fan should be ashamed of their ****** athletic program. All that money and talent for no championships. Texas will continue to be **** in any sport that matters until they get rid of the Longhorn Network.
Yea, their sports are overwhelmingly disappointing every year. Can't argue with that.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any of their products, but Hillflint has some nice-looking sweaters and sweatshirts representing a variety of schools. I never bought any logo stuff from my alma mater when I was in school but I sort of regret it now, so I've considered getting something from them

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see the order of knits recommended, my order is basically reversed.

All my sweaters are cardigans and shawl cardigans. As a hot and sweaty person, the ability to unbutton is appreciated.

I haven't bought a single turtleneck, but may buy a black cotton one.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dig the 2 completely different takes on Bal's here. I've warmed up to a shorter length one in a slimmer cut like the one on the far left.

kaizerpi

Reaction score
Ended up trying a new sweatshirt that Sid Mashburn released today. I'll save my college branding for a Patagonia fleece jacket that we got for our doctoral program.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics