1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Common Projects Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by InHocSignio, Jul 20, 2013.

1. ermagerdben

ermagerdben Member

Achilles high tops are sick.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. piblondin

piblondin Well-Known Member

It's not about the shoe getting tighter, it's about the sole being able to flex so that the heel of the shoe can travel up with the heel of your foot when you walk. Does that make sense? The other thing that reduces heel slip as some shoes break in is that the footbed molds to your foot/heel, keeping it more in place.

Also, jeans don't get tighter after you wear them, but they do get shorter because of the creases that develop around the knees. That's why I always get my jeans hemmed after I've worn them a couple times.

3. tehfangs

tehfangs Member

4. piblondin

5. mildundklar

mildundklar Well-Known Member

Denim might get tighter. Once your body produce heat & sweat - the garment may be able to shrink a bit over time (especially if it's unsanforized). The same thing is possible with shoes, if you choose correct size.

One foot normally produce around 20 cl sweat in one day (give or take). This can lead to some shrinkage when the leather dry up & of course the opposite if you choose a shoe that's to small.

The same rule applies to denim. A regular fit denim might shrink a bit - a tight fit... Na, not in my experience.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  6. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

Sorry folks but leather does not shrink when you wear it - it does the complete opposite. If you have heel slip you have heel slip and no amount of wear will fix that problem; only a heel grip will help but I hate to use them. My advise: always buy your correct size.

Raw denim can and will shrink on complete exposure to water, i.e. cold soaking or machine washing, but body moisture? I doubt you'll will see anything. But the denim then stretches to the wearers size or to the max. it can physically stretch to. These are the physical laws of materials and not the laws of 'mumbo jumbo'.

7. piblondin

I agree with everything you said except that heel slip does not decrease from the first time one tries on a shoe. I believe heel slip does decerease in certain shoes. The shoe doesn't shrink, but it does become more flexible and your foot does, depending on the materials used, sink into it more.

8. mildundklar

mildundklar Well-Known Member

OK. I've experience from shrinkage with denim & shoes.

9. ike_hiking_boots

Yes I said denim does shrink, it'll shrink even more if you tumble dry it after soaking/washing, but it also stretches when you wear it. Leather shoes might shrink if you drenched them in water and then dried them out with heat but you have then ruined your leather shoes.

10. ike_hiking_boots

You might want to edit your post because your first sentence contradicts what you originally stated. Have to disagree with your second statement because heel slip is caused by the shoe being an incorrect fit / to long, unless you can physically change the length of the shoe that slippage won't change.

11. nsubrmnn

nsubrmnn Senior member

12. Hype1234

Hype1234 Senior member

This is really going to change how I buy my shoes from now on. Instead of going for a snug fit imma buy sneakers that are a bit long and have a little slip in the heal. That way I'll know they'll fit just right after I break them in. For all you guys that buy properly fitted shoes from the get-go...well....we will see who's laughing in 5 months.

5 people like this.
  13. Ouisghian Zodah

Ouisghian Zodah Member

Felt the need to add my 2ยข: @piblondin is right and heel slippage can go away in shoes with stiff soles that break in. When the sole is too stiff, it won't bend with the foot, and it won't move up and down with the heel. This sort of slippage mostly occurs in shoes with leather soles & probably doesn't apply as much to shoes with flexible rubber soles like CPs. But he's not entirely wrong.

14. piblondin

It depends on how you read it. I disagree with your statement that heel slip does not decrease as a shoe is broken in. I now also disagree with your statement that heel slip is a function only of a shoe's length/fit. :)

BTW, I picked up some Feits to try again. My toe just touches the end when I walk in 42s, so I got 43. They are a little long, causing the shoe to crease into my big toe. I hope that goes away with wear, but I have no idea if it will.

15. piblondin

This is basically my approach now after having gotten burned on several pairs over the past year that turned out to be too small. If there's no heel slip at all when new, they probably aren't the right size.

16. Hype1234

Hype1234 Senior member

I was being very generous with the amount of sarcasm in my post. I'm baffled at the last few pages of this thread.

4 people like this.
  17. ike_hiking_boots

I read it exactly as you wrote it.

heel slip does not decrease

Yet you were initially arguing and subsequently arguing that it does decrease with wear. Which one is it?

Heel slip isn't a function it's a symptom of a badly fitting shoe.

Post up some pictures of your new Feits and include a few different angles so we can see what's going on with the crease around your big toe?

18. wurlwyde

wurlwyde Senior member

19. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Senior member

So it appears the question of heel slippage may be at least a little more complicated than just "lol wtf is this guy saying" (i.e. the last page or so of this thread).

http://www.styleforum.net/t/171352/what-constitutes-heel-slippage

Based on the discussion there, it seems there is something to be said for the sole flexing to better adjust to a wearer's individual stride and thus simply making for a better fit over an initial wear-in period. However, this (assuming it is a thing and not just internet fashion voodoo) could only affect leather soles, and I can't imagine sneakers--which should from Day 0 have an absolutely snug fit exactly because of their material and general construction--to behave similarly.

That is to say, @piblondin : you may be confusing the issues and what type of shoes they affect. CP Achilles are practically "unconstructed," there isn't much to adjust in terms of materials in the first place. You should expect the shoe to *relax* over time, which means any initial heel slippage can only become more exaggerated the more you wear the shoes. This, by the way, has been my own experience with CP Achilles (no heel slip, as I got the sizing right, but a definite feeling of the shoe fit relaxing over the first week of wear to settle into its habitual fit).

3 people like this.
  20. piblondin

Your post also worked when read sincerely, as I insisted on doing. :)