• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cutemelon

Reaction score
I think you meant this for me.

Haha. I have them both. It says Woman on the insole. That's the difference. If you are bothered by that... then hey... do what you will.

CPs can be found right now for ~$300 if you look at the right stores overseas. Mens and Womens. Norse store is the cheapest I've seen new @ under $300. Endclothing has them for around $300 new... and they have a great selection.
the shoe width is the same on both?

also how do the women's sizes translate to men's?

ursman

Reaction score
EU39 is EU39. There is no conversion. It's the same shoe. Width. Length. Etc.

I know its hard to believe. The difference on the "Woman" version is that their sizes go a lot lower (EU35, for example). They also obviously have a Woman line (sandles, etc.). But the Achilles stays true to form.

Man I really wish you guys could try these on. You'd see what I'm talking about. I think it's moot though... I'm finding a lot of stock online on the Men's. For me... it was really really hard finding an EU39... so I had to spread my searches.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@whorishconsumer

i appreciate the advice, but unfortunately i know that i'd be too mentally bothered by wearing a women's shoe, even if they are practically the same

i'm assuming that your other post about finding them for ~$300 was in reference to women's sizes, too, right?

as of now, oki-ni is the cheapest i've been able to find a 40 in, and if it's only a difference of ~$40, then i don't think it's too bad a price (though of course, if you guys know of any sites that currently have it cheaper, do tell!)

Definitely have seen it for cheaper, with VAT reduction and no customs now. Unless stores have already scrapped the VAT discount?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

EU39 is EU39.  There is no conversion.  It's the same shoe.  Width.  Length.  Etc.

I know its hard to believe.  The difference on the "Woman" version is that their sizes go a lot lower (EU35, for example).  They also obviously have a Woman line (sandles, etc.).  But the Achilles stays true to form.

Man I really wish you guys could try these on.  You'd see what I'm talking about.  I think it's moot though... I'm finding a lot of stock online on the Men's.  For me... it was really really hard finding an EU39... so I had to spread my searches.

Yea, I think CPs are hitting critical mass, which is driving down the demand and price. Still pricey.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

which specific stores/sites are you guys referring to?

norse isn't carrying the regular achilles low (men) at the moment

I didn't realize Oki-Ni was 340 shipped. Nitty Gritty will be about 330 shipped with the VAT discount, and that's probably about standard for the low-end. It appears TBS went up a little in price. So, you're right that 340 is (close to) the low.

I'd say go for for the Norse Women's Achilles with free shipping.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Continuing from my previous post regarding comparative CP sizing, next up is the Achilles Retro Low vs. the Original Achilles Low.

Firstly, regarding size, I am generally somewhere along a 12.5 US, in order to accommodate for one foot being longer than the other. My feet run on the narrow side so when it comes to dress shoes and boots this can translate to anything from an 11.5-12.5 US, but with sneakers I have generally fallen in the uncomfortable space between a 12 (too small) and a 13 US (too large). The pairs compared here are both sized 45 EU. I should also note that I used a 3/4 insole with mild arch support stacked on the factory insole in determining fit.

Secondly, the pairs I am comparing here were both purchased recently and so I believe they are fairly-recent iterations of their respective models. I point this out because Common Projects appears to have changed their sizing somewhere between, say, 2009 and now, making their lasts more accommodating in width (based on experience and what I've read). I scooped the pair of Achilles from Yoox and so it is possible that they may be from a few seasons past, but based on the fit I can tell their production falls after this sizing transition.

Both shoes are derby (open-lace) construction, thereby allowing greater control of snugness, as compared with the BBall Low and in my opinion.

This is isn't as apparent here as with the BBall Low vs. the OG Achilles Low, and without getting all Scott Lang with the perspective, but the biggest distinction between the Retro and the OG Achilles is the toe box. The Retro has a rounder, more bulbous toe box, intended to capture that vintage Stan Smith aesthetic, vs. the OG's narrower, flatter toe box and profile. This simple distinction is what accounts for the majority of the fit differential between the two models. However, the Retro is NOT overall wider than the Achilles.

The Retro has a higher heel tab, while the OG Achilles has a thicker outsole. Despite the thicker outsole there is not a notable difference in height positioning between the two models. There is little difference in rear volume between the two models.

Despite the higher heel tab on the Retro, the two models have the same ankle height around the throat. As noted above, the Retro is not wider than the OG Achilles and, in fact, is very slightly narrower in the midfoot, although not noticeably.

While the silhouette of the Retro is noticeably different, this is due to the above-noted distinctions. The curvature and overall body is very similar between the models, if not the same.

Length is the same.

Overall, the OG Achilles Low fits me close to perfect (with a 3/4 insert on top of the factory insole), whereas the Retro Low fits me a little bit looser (again, with a 3/4 insert). This is due to the rounded/bulbous toe box, which gives the sensation of the shoes being just slightly too long. Contributing to this is the fact that the Retro Low, arguably, has slightly less padding to the tongue, specifically around the midfoot. The result is that it also feels slightly wider/more voluminous compared to the OG Achilles. I would have to cinch the lacing tighter than I prefer aesthetically if I wanted a snug fit in the Retro Low. Instead, and again for aesthetic reasons, I keep them laced slightly loose. I experience no significant shifting of my foot other than some occasional, light, lift in the heel cup.

I would not size down in the Retro Low, the discrepancy in fit being a matter of cm. A 44 would be entirely too small in length and, potentially, width. As it is, the Retro Lows are in my weekly rotation and, because I do not wear them every day, they maintain the fit described above. If I were to wear them every day, then undesirable stretch would undoubtedly occur making them looser than acceptable.

My final takeaway is that both models are a good fit for somewhat-narrow feet or those with medium-width feet but less girth. If you ride the line on medium-to-thicker feet, the Retro Low may fit you better, due to the volume allowance, but this allowance is not so great to make them markedly less narrow than the OG Achilles. This is, of course, up for debate.

Last edited:

ursman

Reaction score
Great write-up, @whorishconsumer

I would add that I read somewhere from 2009-2011 CP upgraded the quality of leather. This most likely attributes to the change in sizing you mentioned above. I have no frame of reference outside of a(nother) really nice write-up I ran into on reddit about the history of the brand.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great write-up, @whorishconsumer

I would add that I read somewhere from 2009-2011 CP upgraded the quality of leather.  This most likely attributes to the change in sizing you mentioned above.  I have no frame of reference outside of a(nother) really nice write-up I ran into on reddit about the history of the brand.

Thank you, sir. I'd love to see that thread, if you still have a link to it.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
Quick question for the group. Is it ever possible to find any style Achilles, in size 47 or 48, besides the lone grey pair that has been on eBay for ever??

Thanks much.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
Thanks, and even though they run big, I just can't do a 46. Wondering if anyone has alternative ideas for the same type thing (high-end white sneaker to wear with jeans/blazer?

StanfordVic238

Reaction score
you can find 47 or 48 on mrporter in a few models from time to time. Go check now

StanfordVic238

Reaction score

Thanks, and even though they run big, I just can't do a 46. Wondering if anyone has alternative ideas for the same type thing (high-end white sneaker to wear with jeans/blazer?

see post above, meant to quote you the first time

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads