• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Cold Weather Style Thread

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's hoping this doesn't become a threak.
confused.gif

I've searched the SW&D forum a lot, and while there are a lot of little threads floating around, there isn't a single massive cold weather clothing thread. I'll soon be moving from a hot and humid climate to a bitterly-cold, snowy, wet, frigid climate, which is why I am starting this thread.

How do you survive in the winter, and still retain a modicum of style?
What are your recommendations and insights regarding:

-- Coats (overcoats, parkas, pea coats, etc.)
-- Hats
-- Boots (waterproof boots, snow proof boots, warm boots, etc.)
-- Pants (how do you keep your legs warm?)
-- Shirts (do you even need "cold weather shirts"?)
-- Sweaters
-- Scarves
-- Gloves
-- Backpacks, Briefcases, Messenger Bags (how do you keep your stuff dry?)
-- Waterproofing (how do you keep everything dry?)
-- Care, Cleaning, and Maintenance

~~ Any general recommendations for staying warm and dry?
~~ Any specific recommendations for certain pieces of clothing, accessories, or other gear?
~~ Do you have any charming anecdotes you'd like to share?
~~ Where, when, and how do you buy your winter gear?

Basically, this is the thread to share any and all information that the (trying to be stylish) cold-weather neophyte might like to have.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you survive in the winter, and still retain a modicum of style?
I live in canada, it is cold but not too cold, here is my input

What are your recommendations and insights regarding:
-- Coats (overcoats, parkas, pea coats, etc.)
i wear a sterlingwear peacoat now, superwarm in the winter, gets lots of compliments, looks real nice and fitted

-- Hats
i wear a toque on super cold days, just cause i have to

-- Boots (waterproof boots, snow proof boots, warm boots, etc.)
just plain ol leather boots

-- Pants (how do you keep your legs warm?)
jeans

-- Shirts (do you even need "cold weather shirts"?)
i have a couple of long sleeve T's for winter

-- Sweaters
i bought a stark last winter, really nice sweater

-- Scarves
no scarves

-- Gloves
cordovan gloves

-- Backpacks, Briefcases, Messenger Bags (how do you keep your stuff dry?)
i try not to use them

-- Waterproofing (how do you keep everything dry?)
umbrella when it rains

-- Care, Cleaning, and Maintenance
don't wear your boots 2 days in a row

~~ Any general recommendations for staying warm and dry?
~~ Any specific recommendations for certain pieces of clothing, accessories, or other gear?
~~ Do you have any charming anecdotes you'd like to share?
~~ Where, when, and how do you buy your winter gear?

Basically, this is the thread to share any and all information that the (trying to be stylish) cold-weather neophyte might like to have.

Aeneas

Reaction score
Umm. Would it not have been better to create a summer thread considering what season is quickly approaching?

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've dressed for 9month summers my whole life, but I'm not prepared for arctic conditions. Maybe this thread will gain traction once Fall rolls around. :D

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
]How do you survive in the winter, and still retain a modicum of style?
I think its hardest to answer this when its summer, winter allows layering, and a variety of accessories that helps ones style.

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ what lane said. Low temperatures allow one to put on lots of stuff on, from layers of clothing to accesories. Winter here gets somewhat cold, and I move around in my bike a lot, so I usually need to layer many pieces. It´s mostly a tee, chunky cardigan/sweater/hoodie, leather jacket/peacot/down(biker)jacket, gloves, jeans and sneakers/boots and sometimes I´ll throw on a scarf if I´m wearing a jacket that doesn´t zip up to cover my neck.

hhenryhhh

Reaction score
This upcoming winter I plan on wearing compression tights under my normal pants

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This upcoming winter I plan on wearing compression tights under my normal pants

Under Armour? I've found that UA coldgear is great when you're sweating, but doesn't do a great job of insulation when you're just standing still.

Winter Silks, however has worked well for me when it's really cold.

Gagno905

Reaction score
Just man up and deal with it mostly. I live in a very cold part of Canada and you need a warm jacket and gloves. Maybe a hat if you're a tiny baby. I used a hood on the colder days.

Get the salt off your boots with a mixture of vinegar and water. Wax 'em up after that when they dry to keep them dry longer. I just wear a pair of red wings or the dayton service boots. The worst part is the salt really. It'll probably get on your jeans so don't get pissed, just vinegar the **** out.

I use a messenger bag every day to work. Just get the moisture off if it gets absolutely soaked.

Scarves are great. Sweaters are great. Keeping your torso warm is easy. Hands and feet are the worst, at least for me. Get some gloves and wool socks.

You don't need Sorels or Canada Goose, but if you think they look good then go nuts.

I've never used any leg warmers, compression stuff or long johns. As long as you're moving it really isn't that bad.

violethour1951

Reaction score
Here in Chicago, the wind + winter means the cold somehow finds its way through every possible crevice in your clothes to make you shiver. Good gloves and hats are a must, or you'd feel like your extremities are going to fall off. I have a pair of smartwool longjohns that I wear under my jeans, they do a great job keeping my legs warm.

That said, this past winter has been remarkably mild
cool.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads