• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Classic Men's Coats Thread

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hilarious.

I was actually watching it with my daughters last weekend and thinking about Joe Pesci's coat.
It's been a long time since I watched it, the coat alone gave me so much nostalgia.

By the way, I did see your post in the cloth thread asking for my source on the camel hair fabric for a good price.

A member DM'd me the source. If/when they respond and if they okay my request to post it publicly, I'll post it in there.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a vintage camel hair polo coat. The shoulders are also quite extended, and padded. Very comfortable. I've never had experience with padding and extended shoulders, only the tight, padded suits from the 2010's.

Also haven't worn it out yet, but I did notice that the camel hair was very insulating and warm compared to all my wool coats, despite the weight. It feels midweight, but has a very spongey, malleable feel to it.

I dig the upper half of the silhouette, looks very masculine and slouchy, despite the presence of darts. The bottom half of the silhouette is wider and more A-line than I was expecting compared to the more T-shaped Ralph coats I've seen. I already have lots of raglan coats with a similiar silhouette on the bottom.

Thoughts on having the skirt and/or waist taken in to reduce the A-line? Or should I leave well enough alone and enjoy the coat for what it is?

20220310-174410-3.jpg
20220310-174146-5.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got a vintage camel hair polo coat. The shoulders are also quite extended, and padded. Very comfortable. I've never had experience with padding and extended shoulders, only the tight, padded suits from the 2010's.

Also haven't worn it out yet, but I did notice that the camel hair was very insulating and warm compared to all my wool coats, despite the weight. It feels midweight, but has a very spongey, malleable feel to it.

I dig the upper half of the silhouette, looks very masculine and slouchy, despite the presence of darts. The bottom half of the silhouette is wider and more A-line than I was expecting compared to the more T-shaped Ralph coats I've seen. I already have lots of raglan coats with a similiar silhouette on the bottom.

Thoughts on having the skirt and/or waist taken in to reduce the A-line? Or should I leave well enough alone and enjoy the coat for what it is?

20220310-174410-3.jpg
20220310-174146-5.jpg

Hm, I think the body is one size too big and the sleeves too short.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, I think the body is one size too big and the sleeves too short.
Yeah I'm going to have the sleeves lengthened as much as I can.

I can see that on the body being too big. Doesn't quite have the same effect as on a big raglan coat.

Think a tailor would be able to take this in easily enough, or nah? @Psyko I know you recently had some experience with this as well.

Psyko

Reaction score
Yeah, I would definitely take in the sides and let out the sleeves. Should be an easy job. Should make it look less square.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

20220310-174410-3.jpg
20220310-174146-5.jpg
I ended up having the coat narrowed and sleeves lengthened.

Thankfully the coat was in great condition so the wear marks are not super obvious on the sleeves.

20220402-120512-3.jpg

20220402-121217-4.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks terrific.
Thanks man.

I basically showed my tailor Psyko's coat posted in another thread, which I find to be the ideal polo coat silhouette.

Apropos long and roomy overcoats: Pretty happy with this vintage RL polo coat I recently purchased. Made in US-era, so from some time in the eighties, I think. This thing fits huge, so had to take in the sides like 4 cm on each side.

Screenshot_20211207-185357_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211207-185418_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220225-134009_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220225-134024_Gallery.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little collar pop also does wonders to the overall look of the coat, IMHO.
I don't have any peak lapel coats except for this one, so I'm uncertain about popping the collar, which is smaller than the lapel.

Balmacaan collar's are the opposite and why I think they look so great when popped.

I do like how the popped collar looks in your pictures so I'll give it a shot next winter. I do plan on wearing a scarf as well to fill up the empty chest space.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a Ralph Lauren coat in a tweed herringbone.

It has the same cut that RL favours in their polo coats, and I think it looks just as great here. Long length, lowered button stance, widely spaced buttons, undarted.

I swear I read somewhere that RL based this silhouette exactly off the Duke of Windsor's polo coat.

15936754_10207891884517289_104134765848674930_o.jpg

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Been thinking about my next overcoat. First off, something heavy and warm fitting for the cold Stockholm winters. Thinking about something in navy. Any type of fabric recommendations?

Furthermore, the design: Raglan coats seem to be rather trendy right now and I have to say that I like them. Hidden button placket with flap patch pockets. The shoulder itself is what I'm uncertain of. My build is very slim and I'm worried that the raglan sleeve design would make it look rather baggy. I was recommended to stay away from raglan sleeved knitwear last time I was commissioning a piece for that reason. Would it be wrong to go with regular sleeves? I guess it'd just be a variant of a car coat?

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t get navy.

Slant pockets > flap patch.

Raglan is pretty accommodating, you’ll be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads