• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Classic Men's Coats Thread

bjhofkin

Reaction score
I really like the shaping in Dr. Churchwell's overcoats. These were made by Len Logsdail. The chest has a very nice, rounded shape that you don't often (if ever) see in off-the-rack overcoats.

Perhaps a question for @Nytailor: are darts necessary for this sort of shaping? Is the chest built using canvas and ironwork, and then accentuated through the use of darts? (Can't tell if the first has darts, although the second looks like it does).

View attachment 1742373 View attachment 1742375

Would that happen to be this cloth, if anyone knows?

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Undarted. I think one of the hallmarks of a polo coat is the way the fabric can ripple around the midsection, especially if the hands are in the pockets. You need more fullness and fabric around the midsection to get these ripples.

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
Since I don't have a nice camel polo coat, if I were to buy one, I'd probably go for undarted purely for utility.

But, I think that shape/fit/drape are more important than the presence of a nearly invisible seam. If you are looking for something like the Logsdail coats to add to (what I'm assuming is) your extensive collection, why not go with the darted version? Those coats look great and seem more formal/structured with the roped shoulders, seemingly heavily canvased chest, and more significant drop. Might not be as versatile as the ones on Ralph, but I agree that the Dr. Churchwell shape looks great.

Nytailor

Reaction score
Would that happen to be this cloth, if anyone knows?

When making the large plaid topcoat I decided on no front darts. It would have distorted the pattern too much. This would not have looked good. There are front darts in the other coat.

Shape is generated through the use of darts. But it depends on the body the coat is being built for. This gentleman does not have a prominent chest. This means I can remove a front dart without altering the look desired. It does mean a tad more tailoring. But it helps when the fabric has some body to to it. This means it can be "tailored".

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When making the large plaid topcoat I decided on no front darts. It would have distorted the pattern too much. This would not have looked good. There are front darts in the other coat.

Shape is generated through the use of darts. But it depends on the body the coat is being built for. This gentleman does not have a prominent chest. This means I can remove a front dart without altering the look desired. It does mean a tad more tailoring. But it helps when the fabric has some body to to it. This means it can be "tailored".

Thank you for the explanation, Leonard. Both coats look great.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also bought a length of this very spongey, wool-alpaca tweed. This is not a hard cloth. It's very soft. I'm unsure what to do with it, but if anyone has ideas, I'd be open to them.

View attachment 1703490 View attachment 1703489

Auralee in Tokyo seems to have used something very similar to this fabric for their coming FW22 collection. Photos from the recent PFW show

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 7.11.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 7.11.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 7.11.46 PM.png

bjhofkin

Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know you like that silhouette, and maybe it's just a matter of body type (I'm a 5'8", 160#) – but I really just look like a human tepee in coats like that.

I love that stuff. Big coats, big pants, oversized sweaters. I've even come around to big shirts.

driving glove

Reaction score
DWW, I think either a balmacaan or an ulster would be a good choice for your loose herringbone cloth, preferably with an inside “poacher’s pocket” for a baguette or reading material. Given that you are having a polo coat made, the ulster might be too similar in styling, unless you already have balmacaans too.
Incidently, in the example you posted above, does the balmacaan have a self-gillet? Nice idea if so.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Incidently, in the example you posted above, does the balmacaan have a self-gillet? Nice idea if so.

I assume that's a smaller jacket, but am not sure.

I have a few bal coats, but I'm not opposed to using this fabric for another.

Good idea about the poacher's pocket.

Reminds me of this umbrella pocket design by Esther Priest Montague. This is prob not the right fabric for this sort of thing, but perhaps someone can use the design for a raincoat

tumblr_ng2pf3ZOIJ1qa2j8co1_1280.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads