• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Classic Men's Coats Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Betty White and Lorne Greene hosting Macy's Thanksgiving parade in 1965

FH9clRQWYAQxvYJ.jpeg

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
cavour or Kent wang might have something for you.

Whoa! Impressive prices from Kent Wang (especially given all the custom cloth options). Anyone have experience with these? I've only ever bought ties, squares, and shirts from KW.

If you can raise your budget up to $1,100, Berg & Berg's offering looks interesting/ nice.

The B&B one looks nice! Any recommendations for something around that price range without a Raglan shoulder. I've been wearing the KS Traveler in perhaps slightly too formal settings. Would love to get something closer to a traditional overcoat/topcoat that I can wear over a suit that can double in slightly more casual settings. Perhaps I'm asking for too much though...

*Edit typo

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The B&B one looks nice! Any recommendations for something around that price range without a Raglan shoulder. I've been wearing the KS Traveler in perhaps slightly too formal settings. Would love to get something closer to a traditional overcoat/topcoat that I can wear over a suit that can double in slightly more casual settings. Perhaps I'm asking for too much though...

Berg and Berg has really good prices. Not sure I can name a maker besides Spier in that category, set-in sleeve or otherwise.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Good everyone!

Does anyone have any advice on where I can find a classic single-breasted tan or navy overcoat?

I initially bought this by Spier and Mackay. However, it did not fit me even after sizing up, so I returned it all together.

I also saw this by Hugo Boss, but obviously, HB doesn't have the best rep, which leaves me very guarded. Also, even at $347, I feel like I'd be overpaying for Boss.

Can anyone give me any suggestions? I'd like cashmere, but I know that's out of the question given my budget of $700 max. However, I am very open to wool-cashmere, which I see more of.

If I put this in the wrong thread feel free to move it.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
J. Press has a sale right now and has offerings in your price range. Cavour should also be worth checking out. They also have a sale going on right now. Keep an eye on Sid Mashburn. They have a sale that will go deeper and wider over the next few weeks. Cordings also has some options in your price range. O'Connell's has some options but you may have to pay a couple hundred more. Michael Jondral has one from De Petrillo that might go down into your price range in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa! Impressive prices from Kent Wang (especially given all the custom cloth options). Anyone have experience with these? I've only ever bought ties, squares, and shirts from KW.

*Edit typo

What's wrong with raglan sleeves? The coat shown in Navy and
one that I own which is dark/ medium gray w/ raglan sleeves looks
quite formal when worn with a suit. In fact, to me it is an "interesting"
alternative to the chesterfield, or button- through models that usually
define more formal overcoats.

bc78

Reaction score

FWIW I just bought a gray KS traveler and I plan on wearing it with suits. Mostly flannel suits which are a tad more casual, but suits nonetheless. To me it looks appropriate and I think the vast majority of the people you’d run into would agree.

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
FWIW I just bought a gray KS traveler and I plan on wearing it with suits. Mostly flannel suits which are a tad more casual, but suits nonetheless. To me it looks appropriate and I think the vast majority of the people you’d run into would agree.
I agree on both counts and have been wearing it over suits on formal interviews. I also find Raglan shoulders more interesting, but the coats tend to be cut more loosely (or at least, with a less tailored silhouette). A double breasted camel polo would be great but perhaps overboard for some settings. I find single breasted topcoats with set in sleeves the least exciting, but maybe most appropriate for the setting?

bjhofkin

Reaction score
I also bought a length of this very spongey, wool-alpaca tweed. This is not a hard cloth. It's very soft. I'm unsure what to do with it, but if anyone has ideas, I'd be open to them.

View attachment 1703490 View attachment 1703489

I have an idea: Sell it to me!

In all seriousness, though – I'd be very interested if you decide you're not sure what to do with it.

For my part, I'd probably make something similar to Mitchell Moss's Eidos coat referenced a few pages back: elements of a Balmacaan, but trimmer and likely shorter (and probably with a wrap belt).

(BTW, responding to an old post b/c I just discovered this thread and spent the last 20 min going through it.)

Kevin24

Reaction score
J. Press has a sale right now and has offerings in your price range. Cavour should also be worth checking out. They also have a sale going on right now. Keep an eye on Sid Mashburn. They have a sale that will go deeper and wider over the next few weeks. Cordings also has some options in your price range. O'Connell's has some options but you may have to pay a couple hundred more. Michael Jondral has one from De Petrillo that might go down into your price range in the coming weeks.

Will do!

I was browsing the O'Connell's sale and was curious what your guys' thoughts on these would be?

https://oconnellsclothing.com/oconnells-lambswool-topcoat-navy-norfolk-lambswool-06661.html
https://oconnellsclothing.com/chrysalis-covert-coat-fawn-kempton-ff-cvt.html
https://oconnellsclothing.com/chrysalis-covert-coat-fawn-kempton-ff-cvt.html

I also saw this on Baltzhar but the slimness of the fit has me weary.

I also went to Suit Supply today and tried on their single-breasted cashmere coat. However, the sizing concerns me since I am way up in theirs at 46R (from what is typically a 42 for me).

I am also looking at some Canali in my price range on eBay. Out of Curiosity, for Canali am I fine staying at 42R, or should I size up?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have an idea: Sell it to me!

In all seriousness, though – I'd be very interested if you decide you're not sure what to do with it.

For my part, I'd probably make something similar to Mitchell Moss's Eidos coat referenced a few pages back: elements of a Balmacaan, but trimmer and likely shorter (and probably with a wrap belt).

(BTW, responding to an old post b/c I just discovered this thread and spent the last 20 min going through it.)

Yea, I'm leaning towards something like that Eidos coat, as well. But will let you know if I decide to let go of the fabric. I've been sitting on it for years.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

*Edit typo

i got two Kent Wang mtm coats and am quite happy with them. I did have the benefit of doing the measurements in person though.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't resist this coat I found and ordered it. I already have two Bals, but my main winter one is very flashy. Seller claimed it is from the '40s or '50s.

I wanted one for days where I blend into the background, and this fit the bill. No idea on warmth, but I'm sure I could layer up heavily underneath. That mottled charcoal texture is one I haven't seen before and it sang to me.

il_794xN.3551798134_ns05.jpg

It reminds me of some of the coats in this illustration
1958-us-advertisement-for-alligator-mens-coats-rjec8r-jpg.53767

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads