• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Classic Men's Coats Thread

woolymammoth

Reaction score
Any opinions on these buttons for a camel hair coat? None of them really sing to me but may have to do in a pinch until I am in New York to scour the button stores as I seem unable to locate buttons I really like.

buttoncamel.jpg

This is the button I am looking for but cannot locate them.

button-want.jpg

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of beautiful coats in here. Most are beyond my current budget, but some day. Anyone recommendations for under $500 or so? I need something fairly warm (upstate NY) and I wear a suit 2x a week or so. I would also like to wear it with chinos or slacks.

I've been wondering the same thing. It seems especially difficult to find something warm in that price range.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's a lot of beautiful coats in here.  Most are beyond my current budget, but some day.  Anyone recommendations for under $500 or so?  I need something fairly warm (upstate NY) and I wear a suit 2x a week or so.  I would also like to wear it with chinos or slacks.

I've been wondering the same thing.  It seems especially difficult to find something warm in that price range.

It's worth checking your local thrift store. Heavy overcoats hold up pretty well, and you might be able to find one for pennies on the dollar. I have a Ralph Lauren guards coat made for Wilkes Bashford. Bought for $75. Added about another $75 in alterations. The thing is pretty sweet.

Any opinions on these buttons for a camel hair coat? None of them really sing to me but may have to do in a pinch until I am in New York to scour the button stores as I seem unable to locate buttons I really like.
buttoncamel.jpg

This is the button I am looking for but cannot locate them.

button-want.jpg

I like the blond ones, personally. Check out this Tumblr. It might give you a better idea of how the coat will look in its finished form with different style buttons

http://polocoat.tumblr.com/

Last edited:

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's worth checking your local thrift store. Heavy overcoats hold up pretty well, and you might be able to find one for pennies on the dollar. I have a Ralph Lauren guards coat made for Wilkes Bashford. Bought for $75. Added about another $75 in alterations. The thing is pretty sweet.

I do stop in the thrift stores semi-regularly and look, but unfortunately I live in a college town and the thrift stores are constantly pretty picked over. However, it does remind me that I have a top coat that I wore before I lost a bit of weight and is a bit big on me now, and I'm wondering if it could be altered to fit a bit better. The shoulders aren't terrible, but it's pretty baggy around the waist, and the sleeves are a touch long. Would it be difficult for a tailor to take in the waist a bit? If so that might tide me over for this winter, at least.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I do stop in the thrift stores semi-regularly and look, but unfortunately I live in a college town and the thrift stores are constantly pretty picked over.  However, it does remind me that I have a top coat that I wore before I lost a bit of weight and is a bit big on me now, and I'm wondering if it could be altered to fit a bit better.  The shoulders aren't terrible, but it's pretty baggy around the waist, and the sleeves are a touch long.  Would it be difficult for a tailor to take in the waist a bit?  If so that might tide me over for this winter, at least.

Taking in the waist and shortening the sleeves shouldn't be a problem. Probably best to consult with a tailor in person, but those kind of operations are pretty common.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads