• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

Trixz

Reaction score
I was also pleased to see him ignore the streetwear trend and stick with formal attire and his usual black/white palette - it is infinitely more luxurious and timeless. I am saddened by the ostensible arrival of menswear in late winter but I suppose it makes sense since he is rebuilding/rebranding the Celine boutiques (or at least some of the stores I've seen), similar to what he did at SLP. I can't wait to see the boots in person - the market does seem pretty crowded ATM with all the leftover/new SLP, Amiri and countless Wyatt and Chelsea renditions but I think Hedi can make room for his pairs if he adds unique textures/skins and perfects heel height and toe shape.

Just curious, does anyone know about copy rights etc for clothing designs? Specifically if the creator of the designs reuses them at another brand? Is that allowed? Not saying Hedi is or that for example using the exact wyatt shoe shape would be the best strategy for building celine but just a thought.

On another note, SLP seems to just keep doing renditions of what Hedi already left behind. Although, this season they have seemed to drift away from the wyatt, harness and jodhpur trio. Other than that they seem to be going back slightly after veering away specifically with denim cuts. I spoke to a SA about three months ago at the mens flagship in Beverly Hills about how IMO the denim cuts have become dad'esk and not unique. The SA said they are going back to slimmer cuts because of customer dissatisfaction. Then this season they came back to 15.5cm leg opening with the addition of the odd leather tab coming off the right back pocket. Is AV trying to milk the hedi designs or is he truly trying something new? (perhaps this should go to the SLP thread but not because hedi?)

HommeBoy007

Reaction score
Just curious, does anyone know about copy rights etc for clothing designs? Specifically if the creator of the designs reuses them at another brand? Is that allowed? Not saying Hedi is or that for example using the exact wyatt shoe shape would be the best strategy for building celine but just a thought.

On another note, SLP seems to just keep doing renditions of what Hedi already left behind. Although, this season they have seemed to drift away from the wyatt, harness and jodhpur trio. Other than that they seem to be going back slightly after veering away specifically with denim cuts. I spoke to a SA about three months ago at the mens flagship in Beverly Hills about how IMO the denim cuts have become dad'esk and not unique. The SA said they are going back to slimmer cuts because of customer dissatisfaction. Then this season they came back to 15.5cm leg opening with the addition of the odd leather tab coming off the right back pocket. Is AV trying to milk the hedi designs or is he truly trying something new? (perhaps this should go to the SLP thread but not because hedi?)

I'd imagine the company owns the rights to those designs, rather than the designer.

Vacarello's bastardization of Hedi's SLP has always been in poor taste IMO, there are barely any improvements and the brand seems to have devolved as a whole. Has anyone seen the new penis accessories Vacarello intends to sell? I rest my case lol. One would hope that they would at least return to the skinny cut Hedi's earlier years but maybe that would cheapen what he did for the house. The looser cuts have been met with poor reviews/lackluster sales from what I gather and there is only one model I find desirable.

Trixz

Reaction score
Interesting article off vogue in case link doesn't work here. Makes a few points about Hedi at Celine. For starters this purse drop is four months before clothing is supposed to hit shelves. It was also "drip fed" by having influencers wear it first. Another point specifically about the purses is that they have both French culture taken into account and celine design history behind it within their details.

Trixz

Reaction score
Another interesting article on footwearnews highlights somewhat of two reoccurring ideas in conflict amongst these forums with Hedi that which is, wearability versus novel and forward reaching. This article based on the discussion with the Neiman Marcus fashion director said that the bags from Phoebe sold well but the clothing was always more complicated and was much more "editorially beautiful."

HommeBoy007

Reaction score
Interesting article off vogue in case link doesn't work here. Makes a few points about Hedi at Celine. For starters this purse drop is four months before clothing is supposed to hit shelves. It was also "drip fed" by having influencers wear it first. Another point specifically about the purses is that they have both French culture taken into account and celine design history behind it within their details.

Given his history, Hedi seems to be a marketing/sales guru (of sorts), let's see the numbers he pulls in. All the leather accessories are just a tease for the main attraction, which are the boots IMO, but given what he did for SLP I think he will make leather accessories and shoes Celine's new bread-and-butter.

Adamdraps

Reaction score
I'm hearing that prices will be similar or slightly lower than Saint Laurent.

This is coming from people from the Celine facebook group

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys who live in fashionable cities see a lot of people walking around wearing high end tracksuits nowadays?

HommeBoy007

Reaction score
Do you guys who live in fashionable cities see a lot of people walking around wearing high end tracksuits nowadays?

Yeah I still see it, although i think the trend was more popular in 16- 17 and has retained its popularity in Asia.

HommeBoy007

Reaction score

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good question. I haven't seen the sleek, high-end tracksuit thing this year in LA or New York, maybe not at all. I didn't even think of it.

I like that video for Celine menswear. I love the sleek suiting and the hair styling is great, too, ha. I'm fairly unfamiliar with Celine, so not sure how, if at all, Hedi has attempted to incorporate the codes of la maison.

Trixz

Reaction score
Here are some pics from the video to dissect

Leather jacket that resembles the SLP teddy's with the two top lines? With patches...
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 4.05.50 PM.png

High-waisted pins stripe pants? Single strap monk (is that what's it's called?)
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 4.07.04 PM.png

Chelsea or cowboy boots?
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 4.06.09 PM.png

Animal skin loafers?
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 4.07.34 PM.png

Pleated pants. Personally, I will never wear pleated pants even if designed by Hedi.
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 4.08.05 PM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads