• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

Louis Louis

Reaction score
The Tank is indeed nice, the strap is a little short, here on my 16cm wrist.
It is marketed as unisex but the bracelet is woman size. Usually men go for the bigger mechanic version.

cm.jpg

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that. That's not ideal as my wrist is a bit bigger at about 6.75 inches. The bigger mechanical version looks too big in all of the pictures I've seen, and I'm not keen on the date window either.

Simon Dykes

Reaction score
The extra large one looks ridiculous, and completely misses the point of the watch, which is a beacon of understated elegance in a sea of tacky overpriced baubles.

I couldn't drop 2 grand on a battery powered watch though. Total rip off.

Best option wihtout dropping mega money imo is a vintage manual winder (which is why I have one I guess)

@ Kieran, where do you live that you'd be worried about getting robbed for it?

Louis Louis

Reaction score
Until the end of the year Cartier was gifting a second bracelet when you purchased a Tank Must, i was able to choose a bigger size.
You may be able to get a bracelet exchange if you go to a Cartier store but you'll have to wait approx 6 weeks to get it.

You can also get an Hirsch that may be better quality and relatively cheap (and there are also a lot of more expensive options like ABP), the Cartier one is pretty stiff, nothing like the supple JLC one for example (see JLC aligator below).

cm2.jpg

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I'm not a watch person, but that's really nice.

Can anyone tell me how the ss14 multi zip lamb jacket fits? I'm posting here because slp thread is on life support.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'll probably end up just wearing it as it is and change strap down the line when I service it. It looks great there though thanks for the picture, I don't regret my choice at all.

And regarding the risk of being robbed, a Tank Louis would probably go unnoticed, but Rolex date justs and day dates can get a lot of the wrong kind of attention in London, Birmingham, Manchester etc. My nights can be pretty eventful and it's not unusual for me to end up in dodgy after hours venues. I've seen someone attacked for a Rolex and heard of plenty more.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That tank looks wonderful. I wear a Polar Explorer II and absolutely love its heft and stealthy yet Rolex nature. It's not that expensive for watches, if that's a concern. I think a little fancier and less utilitarian is in now to contrast the slop that we wear otherwise, so, Tanks, Datejusts, JLC if you're rolling, etc. For some reason I don't like the look of the Apple Watch. Seems so 2013 to me.

Randeep

Reaction score
How have the ASOS skinny jeans held up for you? In the absence of any good Celine jeans and the horrible cut of more recent SLP jeans I have been buying the most undecorated Amiri jeans as they stack well and have very SLP-ish washes - but the prices are obviously offensive even on sale.

They've held up well/kept their shape/no impending crotch blowout just yet.

Can anyone tell me how the ss14 multi zip lamb jacket fits? I'm posting here because slp thread is on life support.

It's feels slightly looser/boxier compared to my L17. I don't mind wearing it with a mid-weight layer underneath for winter, whereas doing that with my L17 would feel too constrictive, so that stays paired with a thin-tee for summer (my L17 is sz48, L01 a page back is sz50, multi zip sz48, Celine loose blouson sz50..)

rivegauche

Reaction score
On the subject of fragrances, how many sprays do you guys use with the Celine? I presume that being EDP they are a bit stronger than EDTs which I'm used to with DH 2005 which has always been my regular scent until now.

I have found that concentration does not necessarily correlate with strength of a fragrance. While Dior Homme is quite strong, most of the Celine offerings seem to be rather muted. There are also some differences between the different fragrances (Eau de Californie is weaker than Nightclubbing or Reptile for example).

I tend to apply somewhere between 2 and 5 sprays depending on the fragrance, weather and conditions that I will be wearing the fragrance in.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers guys. I usually use one spray behind each ear day to day with DH, and then double it up for nights out. So I guess I'll continue the same with the Celine. I wore my Celine black tie tester to a Christmas party and had a few positive comments so I'm looking forward to starting the main bottle.

The Hedi 30 black suede boots are spot on. Haven't changed since Hedi. Maybe very slightly looser ankle shaft but fine. Must say I love these. I don't know why I've never liked suede previously. Possibly because the ones I tried were too dainty (London 20, and Devon). I think I'll be wearing these a lot.

Is it worth using suede protection spray or just go natural and let them get battered? I've got no experience with suede at all

Adamdraps

Reaction score
Cheers guys. I usually use one spray behind each ear day to day with DH, and then double it up for nights out. So I guess I'll continue the same with the Celine. I wore my Celine black tie tester to a Christmas party and had a few positive comments so I'm looking forward to starting the main bottle.

The Hedi 30 black suede boots are spot on. Haven't changed since Hedi. Maybe very slightly looser ankle shaft but fine. Must say I love these. I don't know why I've never liked suede previously. Possibly because the ones I tried were too dainty (London 20, and Devon). I think I'll be wearing these a lot.

Is it worth using suede protection spray or just go natural and let them get battered? I've got no experience with suede at all

Suede is tougher than leather. I get **** on my all the time and comes right out with a suede brush.
If you're worried about it, use Saphir super invulner protector. Works really great and it's the only brand that I have found that doesn't change the color and feel of the suede.

Also it would be good to invest in a good suede horse hair brush for daily cleaning and a bore hair brush for deeper water stains.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads